“serendipity”

Hospedaje Caballito's Mar
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Fernando and his team created a small piece of paradise...the scenery is amazing...friendly and affordable service....and the most interesting characters you ll ever come across in central america....thank you my friends (yeah you too Sylvain :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank manumanuc

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Amazing place, with amazing and very kind people. Very cool atmosphere and very relaxing.
The food is amazing and the kayak tours.

Directly on the lake, wonderful sunsets, amazing view on the volcano.

I recommend it without hesitation to anyone.

Prices per night are between 6 and 30 $.

Kayak tours are around 20 $.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank NadimM
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Caballitos was a rustic yet comfortable place that really fit in with its surroundings, and one of the great things about Ometepe is how authentic and undeveloped it seems. In the morning the neighbors would be doing their laundry by hand in the lake and ther were chickens, horses and pigs just hanging out around the grounds. Didn't feel like a tourist in a hotel, but more like the experience of a home-stay.

The four-person dorm was simple, but very comfortable mattresses and the bathroom was clean. Fan and screened windows allowed enough breeze to sleep through the heat. Very good sleep quality for $5/night/person. The service in the restaurant was slow, but the food was good and cheap. It was a quiet and relaxing stay... we didn't have much interaction with other guests, of which there were only a few, as Cabillitos is a small hostel.

Also we really enjoyed the kayak tour to the rio. We saw monkeys and many birds, and really enjoyed the 3 hours paddling in the sun (but wear lots of sunscreen!).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WiscDane
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Had a 4 beds dorm only for me for 5$ !!! Shared bathroom with one other 4 beds dorm where only 2 persons where staying. The room is really basic but the sheets are clean. Fan and breeze from the lake.

Great location 5 minutes from centre of the "town" ! Rent bicycle, really great and cheap kayak tour to rio istiam and isle congo. Suggest renting bike to go to san ramon waterfall... huge !

Service for food is super slow (like 1h to get your food). Had supper there before I woke up at 1 am sick ! Lasted 2 days ... didn't drank their water or juice. I had a chicken plate with beer... who knows where it came from !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank zosianne
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I spent one night here as a result of getting temporarily stranded. I wish I would have found this place earlier during my three week stay on Ometepe. The room was just a room, but this establishment has a tranquil location right on the lake. The food is excellent, and I will always carry the memory of two beautiful girls bathing on the lake's shore as I sipped a grande Tona...I hope my girlfriend didn't notice me being distracted. This hotel offers for rental some of the better kayaks I've seen in Nicaragua. Peace, beauty, beer, good food, and kayaks...what's not to like?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We popped in on this gem during the slow season - which meant that there weren't many other people there. The dorms and bathrooms are super clean, and the staff welcome and accommodating. This is a super tranquillo place to come and relax. The food is fantastic - priced for the backpackers' budget and a dream - I second the reviewer who mentioned the whole tilapia from the lake. Cooked to perfection!

There are kayaks on site for rent for a low price, and a short walk up the road will take you to other small restaurants and a place to rent horses for the day - also for a low price. Plan to spend a few days here unwinding, exploring the sites, and dropping into the lovely rhythm of the place. I highly recommend this hospedaje!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We got off the local bus in Merida and locals pointed us the path down to Caballitos Mar. It is situated right on the lake's edge on the calmer, less windy side of Ometepe. One of the owners, Erik, was there to greet us and sat down to chat with us about our travels.

We loved this place but a word of warning, it is very basic accommodation and bathroom/shower. This is not luxury accommodation but they are gradually building up and improving and it has a simple, rustic feel. On top of that it is great value for money.. I think we paid $10 for a double room. The food is also all typical Nicaraguan and fantastic.. especially the fresh whole fish from the lake.

We took their kayak tour of the Istiam river which was great fun and we spotted monkeys, turtles, lots of birds and a caymen. We also used their contacts to get a great local guide form the cooperative who took us to climb Volcan Maderas.

We were unlucky enough to get sick on our return from the volcano, most likely exhaustion and dehydration and Erick and his staff did everything to look after us from preparing us a special tea from local tree bark to settle our stomachs to cooking us a simple soup. This is a fantastic, friendly and overall local place that I strongly recommend... thanks very much Caballitos Mar!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple