All reviewshot watersanto domingolake viewometepe islandoutdoor seatingnice poollasagnarestaurant staffstayed nightsrainy seasontour guidecentral americaparadisoferrywindnicaraguaac
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The french doors that open out onto the lake say it all! The first thing I did when I check in was throw open the doors and let in the warm breeze from the lake--quite lovely. I spent some time on the hammock on my front patio as well. The cabana was well appointed with a large shower, separate toilet, two comfortable beds, a small fridge, tv and everything needed for a comfortable stay. The staff in the restaurant was lovely and the food delicious--try the whole lakefish and the soup!

Room Tip: Cabana 25 is perfectly located--just you and the lake!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Poppetwo
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at Villa paraiso for 3 nights. The cabanas were very charming and clean. The views and grounds were excellent. Unfortuanately, the food and the service (wait staff and front desk/office staff) were very poor. The staff was unfriendly and not helpful at all - they acted like they were being "put-out" with the simplest most routine requests. We took two excursions (horseback riding and the hike to the waterfall) and the guides were fantastic. I highly reccommend them. I definately do NOT reccommend staying at Villa Pariaso and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LizzyLou53
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I am so glad I chose not to stay in one of the two "Towns" on the island. Villa Paraiso is on Playa Santo Domingo which is a nice beach with a great view of the volcano. The service is a bit poor -- the ladies at the front desk are somewhat courteous but for the most part act like you are bothering them and do not speak much English. And when you take a crack at your Spanish, they are less than friendly and accepting about it. The restaurant has a great view with plenty of wildlife to watch but is a bit overpriced (as compared to other parts of Nicaragua) and since the dining options on the island and in that area in particular are few you have no choice but to accept it which kind of makes you feel swindled. We had our own private bungalow with a lake view, AC & hot water but the view is blocked by overgrown foliage, the power went out every night & the water pressure was so low it was a trickle at best. We sent our clothes out for laundry and they came back with holes (I believe they were washed on rocks) and we were overcharged-- by only a couple of dollars but it, again, made us feel wary about our bill and other things they thought they could slip by us since it was charged in Cordobas. Oh, and there was a rat in our room. Sooooo, why a 'Very Good' review? Location is everything. It was a beautiful place and despite the lack of customer service and certain creature comforts I realize we were on an Island in Nicaragua!!! I was sleeping well, eating great, and hiking to beautiful waterfalls!
Oh, I DID notice however, that when I told them the electricity went out and they said the plant on the island shuts it down for a bit every night, that the main office/restaurant area still had electricity. . . AS DID the cabanas closest to that area. We were one of the furthest cabanas from the main area so keep that in mind when you book. There are trade offs and in the end the power outage didn't make that big of a difference!

Room Tip: The closer the cabanas are to the main office the less likely you are to experience the nightly "power outages" imposed by the electricity plant on the island.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chaipilates
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Beautiful quiet location, AC, jot water in some cabins, super clean compared to other places in Nicaragua, close to waterfall hike and ojo de agua. Rent bikes from Roberto across the street next to the tienda. Walk down the lake to a little bar on the left with drink specials and delicious meals. Paraisos food was delicious, but slightly overpriced compared to other local places. The rooms were a great value though, especially compared to San Juan del sur and playa maderas prices

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

If you are going to Nicaragua, you MUST go to Ometepe--it is amazing! And if you go to Ometepe, you should definitely stay at Villa Paraiso. This place has about 30 cabin/cottages for rent. Depending on the size and if you want ac or not they go from $35-55 a night.
Rooms are nothing special, but the beach, location, and restaurant make it well worth the stay. Everything we had to eat over the course of 3 days was excellent--from the fish stew to the charrasco steak. Also, there are horses and motorcycles to rent within walking distance.
The staff are not overly-friendly and aren't able to speak much English, but we found that the case across Nicaragua, this hotel wasn't an aberration. The staff will help you book an outing or expedition though--river kayaking, hiking, etc. and arrange transportation for you to and from the ferry in Moyogalpa. My fiance even booked an in-room massage from a local through the front desk.
Overall, a good experience--I'd stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple