“Good views from cabins”

Hotel Villa Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isla de Ometepe
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Go for the cabins. The rooms have shared baths and no A/C, just fans. I think. Anyway, we had cabin 2, which was great. THe deck, hammock and views were excellent. The lobster tail in sauce was the best meal of the whole trip. Free wifi was good. They sent a car to pick us up from Granada for San Jorge and also at the other end when we got to San Jose del Sur. They also arranged transport to Ojo de Agua and Rio Istiam. Good in all respects. The manager - who sits in the inside room has a bit of a 'cool' demeanour - probably how she is. Will go here again.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Novice2010
villaparaiso, Propietario at Hotel Villa Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

We are glad you liked the attention and the hotel, it makes us happy to know we gave a good impression to our customers. Sorry we are answering late to your comment. Hope you recommend the place and come back soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Villa Paraiso on Ometepe Island in Nicaragua was a lovely surprise. Located right on the lake, it's a clean hotel with friendly staff and good food (try the fish!). It was easy to organize local tours of the area. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly. Douglas, our guide for our attempt to climb Volcan Maderas was kind and patient with a very good knowledge of English and more importantly, of the area we were visiting. Jose took us on the cultural tour of the island and entertained us with wonderful local stories. A lovely oasis on beautiful Lake Nicaragua!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Sorry we are answering your comment these late, but we are really thankful for your good opinion about our services. These cheer us up to keep working for giving our clients a confortable stay in these unique island. Hope you recommend us to your friends and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Very disappointing. Being the most expensive hotel in Ometepe we expected more. The staff was indifferent and acted put out just to check us in. The room is unimpressive, plain and nothing special. They do have hot water showers. Our room (#23) did have a small fridge and a little prep area, but no kitchenette to cook. The view as nice with a hammock, we could hear the waves however could not sleep with the doors\windows open as there were no screens. What this place has going for it is the view, Its right on the beach, however at the time we were there the waters were so high there was no beach. Don't waste money on the restaurant, slow service and the food is below par, some items overcooked and others not very flavorful as well as overpriced. The wine is $2 buck chuck at a premium price. This was the most expensive and worst meal during our 2 weeks in Nica. We checked out the next day and stayed at Omaja in Merida the next few nights.

Room Tip: # 23 looked right out to the water, and an entrance to the beach just a stairway down from the room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Sorry for answering your comment these late, and sorry for being disappointed about your staying in our hotel. Your critics are helpful to us to know were we have to improve and the changes we need to make. We are feeling the weather changes and sadly during november through february we didn´t have any beach. We invite you to come during summer time (april until july) when we more beach and a good breeze from the lake. Thanks again for your critic.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Lovely spot on Santo Domingo Beach. Gardens well tended. Our cabin was rather spartan but very clean. And the water in the shower was REALLY HOT. The staff was pleasant and generally helpful although a shuttle van that was supposed to pick us up after a volcano hike was an hour late. Although the food was rather expensive, the fresh fish was superb. Drinks were expensive too but all were made with double shots.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Manya O
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We planned a December trip to Ometepe to tour the island and see some remote natural beauty. It was our 1st trip to Central America and didn’t know what to expect – there were a variety of experiences reported on several travel sites. We were pleasantly surprised that the actual hotel was as good as the website site – it’s hard to capture a beautiful vista on a two dimensional screen. The staff were helpful, our cabin clean and the food delicious. The views while dining are why we chose this location. The beds were good enough – we didn’t expect Hilton / Marriott type bedding. One note - after the rainy season ends in the fall, the water level in the lake is high ie little to no sand on the beach.

What I really want to point out is the responsiveness and compassion of the staff and owner, Sonia, for helping me with a medical problem we experienced while there. Without their assistance, the outcome would have been very different. Many thanks to all and can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Cabin 2 has a/c and a good view of the lake. A very good value compared to many other Nica options.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2011

You know this kind of place - they have been "the" place to be for so long that they have lost a bit of perspective. The staff are not unfriendly, nor are they friendly. The rooms aren't bad, but they just aren't that good. The restaurant is decent, but it is priced like something special (we differ on this from the guidebook which rates it highly). We stayed for one night andthought that the overall gestalt of the reviews was accurate. Our overall impression is 3/5.

Room Tip: Go for lake view rooms. Really, insist on it. They want to keep everyone clustered togetherness th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank smckd
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I was underwhelmed by this hotel despite the fact that, by most accounts, it represents the best Ometepe has to offer. Rooms in the hotel part of the complex were small and dark. I don’t mind rustic but I do mind a $30/night (pricey compared to other places I’ve stayed in Nicaragua) room with a bathroom full of bugs. Literally – my first night there they covered almost every surface. When I asked the person at the front desk if something could be done, they handed me a can of Raid. Ok, so I filled the place with fumes and was left with a bathroom full of dead bugs. I was told it could be cleaned while I ate dinner but upon returning to my room, nothing had been done. I was forced to head downstairs first thing in the morning to ask to have my room cleaned before I could shower or use the bathroom. I will say that they did respond quickly to this request.
I wish I could say better things about the restaurant as I really wanted to like the food – the menu was quite appetizing. Unfortunately, the food was not (and it wasn’t cheap) plus I’ll echo the comments of others that the staff just didn’t seem particularly attentive or friendly. I rented a bike for part of the day and was initially given one with obviously flat tires. I had to point out why I was trading it in for a different one.
The setting is pretty and perhaps the cabanas are a better option than the hotels (although I met a couple who had their hiking shoes stolen from their patio while they were trying to dry them out, post-volcano hike). Overall, unimpressive.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo