“nice and quite”

Rancho Merida
Granada, Spain
“nice and quite”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Rancho merida is a great place to stay if you are heading that way. Good price ( we paid $14for a double with shared bathroom) but for $25 you have the option of a really nice room with private bathroom. The bus that goes to merida is owned by the lady that owns the place so it drops you right there and you can take it there when you want to leave too.
Friendly staff, clean,great location.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Playa Mederas
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

So me and my husband and our friends just finished up a 4 night, 3 day stay on Ometepe, and here is the scoop on Rancho Merida.
First of all, let me start this with saying we had no accommodations lined up when we arrived at the ferry terminal in San Jorge. Once we got to the terminal, my friends husband approached a young guy who looked like he was an information agent of some sort. Our friend began to ask him questions about hostels at Moyogalpa. Turns out this very friendly and knowledgable young man worked for Hacienda Merida and was able to get us set up with two private rooms with private baths for $25 a night per couple. On top of that, he arranged for a shuttle driver to meet us after we got off the ferry, and bring us down to Merida (about an hour and 30 min drive) directly (cost for shuttle was $35 for the 4 of us).
So, we got to Hacienda Merida shortly after 7 and stumbled around for a few minutes trying to find someone to help us get checked in. Finally, my husband approached some workers working the dinner buffet, and this lady showed is to our rooms.
Now, don't let the term "private room" here fool you, the walls are paper thin and you could hear everything the other person was saying easily. It felt very weird. On top of that, the room wasn't very clean and the bug net they had over the bed housed 9 spiders in the top that my husband relocated for me.
Oh, and the trash in the bathroom, where you dispose of your toilet paper instead of flushing (very common in Central America), gave off an odor and smelled like someone had opted to take a dump directly in it. It had obviously been sometime since it had been cleaned.
Ok, so we stayed there for a couple of nights before we stumbled upon Rancho Merida. As we came out of Hacienda's gate one evening, we took an immediate right to go to a little store to get some water. After getting water, we decided to explore a little and discovered Rancho Merida. Wow! The place was beautiful! And Quiet an Relaxing! I failed to mention that at Hacienda, there is a bilingual school where there is the continual sound of elementary children laughing, running, and general school age noise. Don't get me wrong, I love kids and the island children are absolutely adorable all dressed in their uniforms, but at 6am and the classroom right outside your door, it's not very cute.
So, back at Rancho, my husband inquired with a young man named Osvaldo if there were any vacancies, and we were shown an adorable cabin that he offered at $30 a night. There are pictures of them posted. It had a great little patio with nice rocking chairs, 2 double beds in a very spacious and clean room, complete with ceiling fan and small refrigerator. The bathroom was quite large as well and was cutely decorated and had no nasty odor!
We immediately decided to take it for the next 2 nights, and I'm so happy we did. I got the best sleep and it was just a great relaxing time their.
The compound had a number of workers throughout the day that were labor inch on various things, and I absolutely fell in love with some 13 week old puppies that called Rancho home. It was obvious someone there loved them, bc they looked like they were well cared for.
There was also several chickens and roosters that free ranged it all over the property, which I loved to see.
After moving to Rancho, we ate breakfast at the restaurant for the remainder of our time there, and we also had dinner. Delicious! At Hacienda, the food was not great, and was more expensive than Rancho. Hacienda has an all you can eat dinner buffet for $8 a person, but the food is ok, and was often cold. At Rancho, the food was all fresh and about half the price! The service can be a little slow, but honestly, I think that's this whole countries style. There have been several times that after we have eaten, and the conversation has died down, that we realize it's been awhile since we've seen the server. Our meals at Rancho were just added to our final tab, but our friends, who stayed at Hacienda had to pay after their meals, and it would end up with one of us going up to ask for our bill. Wasn't a big deal to us, but if you're on a time schedule, keep that in mind.
So I hope whoever reads this will avoid the trap of Hacienda Merida and stay at Rancho Merida. We had just not heard or come across anything on this place, otherwise we wouldn't have wasted our time staying at Hacienda.
Oh, and one more thing, the staff at Rancho were great. Osvaldo appears to be the manager and he told my husband his mom owns it, although we never did see her. Our final day there, we caught the 8:30 bus (which leaves directly at Rancho) to head back to Moyogalpa. I was very sad to leave Merida and the cute little puppies there. But we're looking forward to returning to see our friends someday.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Klgerencer
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This place had nothing special to speak of other than the food at the restaurant by the cabins which was really much better than any other on the island...well the breakfast was anyway. I don't know if the place was under construction or what but you basically have to walk through mud to get to you cabin which is really messy. Hot water was unreliable, very noisy at night. Power went in and out frequently. There is also a back part to these "ranches" which is a dorm/camping type setting and we noticed tourists being bullied by the hotel employed taxi driver.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank piscesgirl001
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at Rancho Merida from Friday to Sunday. We rent a "cabana" for $25 per night, sleep 3. I think we were the only group staying in the hotel that weekend and we had a great time. The food is good and very very cheap at the hotel, I spent $19 during the whole weekend (food and drinks). We did a hike to El Volcan Maderas, took us like 9 hours!! But was amazing! Our last day we went to "Ojo De Agua" an awesome natural pool. We were all young people 19-22. If you are looking for a cheap and nice place, this is the place!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This April i stayed 3 days in Rancho Merida Ometepe. I never heard of this place but another tourist guy told me about his stay he maked me curious. They have dorms..but i stayed in a beautiful villa ...cabaña.. i had 3 lovely nights ;) the villa cost me only 25 dollars so cheap and so great... i heard the dorms cost only 5 dollar. And they have a very very big restaurant with good nica food and pastas. If you go to relax this is the place to be!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sherlyn v
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Never stayed but the place looks good and the meal we had at the restaurant was good (chicken).
The cabins look new and if you want a cheap place to stay this would be a very good option. Situated in a nice little town with hundreds of mango trees lining the dirt roads.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We intended to stay at Hacienda Merida, which was across the same driveway on the lakefront, but it was full. Rancho Merida was not a bad second choice, as it was cheap ($5/night for a dorm bed) and a good location because of its proximity to Hacienda, its restaurant, swimming pier and sunset views. Also easy access to hiking trails to the volcano, San Ramon waterfall, and kayak tours on the lake.

The beds in the dorm were comfortable, and the dorm did have free lockers, but it was a large room (9 beds I think) and not enough fans for each bed. The bathrooms were in a separate building, but clean enough. The restaurant/bar area was nice and obviously very new, but the design just seemed out of place. The service was very slow, and the food was not expensive but the quality was average at best. The staff generally seemed disinterested. So overall, just an average place to sleep for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends