“Home in Lagos”

Bogobiri House Lagos
Ranked #11 of 134 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 15 October 2013

First in Nigeria and was lucky enough to not only stay at Bogobiri but meet and connect with the owners and staff. Let's just say it's where I'll always stay when I come to Nigeria It's more than a hotel - more like home away from home, cultural center and so much more. I love Bogobiri.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful. Get one of the larger rooms if you can.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Diallo S

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I will have to start by saying I didn't stay here so I can't assess it as a hotel, although I would happily stay there in future. As a bar and restaurant though I can't provide enough praise. The food is excellent, the drinks are ever flowing and the staff and management are phenomenal. It's a great place to meet new people, listen to good music and relax- which can be difficult in the hustle and bustle of Nigeria. I came here at least a few times a week while I was living in Nigeria and would recommend anyone visiting Lagos to definitely spend an evening there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have stayed in total probably 1,5 months in Bogobiri, extended in 3 or 4 periods of 2 weeks. I find Bogobiri difficult to rate, just because it's so different from a regular hotel. I a way, this is not a hotel but more a bar (with live music every evening) where you can rent some rooms.

Other reviewers have described well the interior. Some of the staff are friendly. Some I find are not. Some do not care and prefer watching the football matches broadcasted in the bar area. Breakfast is included in the hotel price but very very basic, and if you are in a hurry early morning do not expect breakfast to be ready to enjoy all of the time. Internet is also included but quite shaky in times. I like the food (basic, generous portions) but not all what is presented on the menu is available at all times.

If you are a business traveller who would like a bit more comfort, and hotel feeling, there are some other places around on VI and Ikoyi where you will feel more being in a hotel. You will have to search though, if you do not want to pay more than @ Bogobiri. I stay here from time to time, but sometimes switch hotel early when I want a better shower, bed and airconditioning.

I believe the potential is enormous to take Bogobiri's hotel proposition to the next level. The question is, can it keep its unique proposition which it offers now or will 'professionalization' of the hotel business mean that the bar/music proposition will be eroded? My advice: go check out Bogo in the evening for the live music and ask to see some of the rooms before you decide to book here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank poortje
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have to agree with an earlier review of this hotel and say it doesn't live up to its potential
It's a charming and eccentric guest house and I loved the art on the walls, plus compared to other places in Lagos, it's (relatively) well priced. It had free wireless which is always a bonus. The staff are helpful and friendly which provides a comforting haven after braving the Lagos traffic all day.

However, I didn't have warm water for a decent shower and the breakfast was hopeless. I tried to have dinner there 2 evenings, and none of my first choices were available. If you're looking for a place to stay that has charm, is clean and that isn't as high-priced as the chain hotels, I can certainly recommend it. If your expectations are higher, you might be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank leonie38
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Very African!the art and decor is great.the music.the drinks.not pricy at all.saw a few live performances here as well.its worth a visit.definite must!!i totally love this place.definite re visit.a couple nice things to buy from the gift shop as well.

Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I want to love this place and give it 5 stars because it has all the potential. The art and decor are really original and create a nice atmosphere and the staff are fairly good. But, like most hotels in Nigeria, it is a massive let down, especially considering it costs $200-a-night. Bad things: there was no hot water, the aircon didn't work, the breakfast consisted of some stale bread and cheap jam and instant coffee with condensed milk. Sorry, it's just not good enough! For the money you spend some quirky art and bohemian vibe just isn't enough if you can't provide the very basics given such a huge fee. If it was $50-a-night I'd accept all the faults.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I did not stay at the hotel. I had a lunch buffet during a bus tour of Lagos.

It seems to be a popular spot for the locals. They have free wireless throughout the property. It is a great spot for business meetings.

I thought the food was good. African buffets are different than American buffets. American buffets are more abundant. We ran out of food at our buffet lunch. I should have eaten first instead of taking photos. Is you snooze you lose.

I was most impressed by the African Art and creative of the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends