“Not up to the hype”

Ranked #13 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Chicago, Illinois
“Not up to the hype”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I found this boutique hotel through Lonely Planet and researched elsewhere to make sure it was the right place for us. I was disappointed in the reviews of this place on this site. I felt (and had backup from my boyfriend to make sure I wasn't off my rocker) for $230 a night it was a complete rip off. Now I realize Lagos, NIgeria is expensive but c'mon. This place was "cute" and "quaint" but very ill equipped and not maintained well at all for the price. The rooms were spacious and the artwork was generous. Common area was funky and worth a look with live music on Fridays. I felt that the rooms weren't as clean as I'd like. When you see a can of Raid for your use in the bathroom, there might be an issue. The free breakfast included toast, orange juice and tea/coffee, which I guess is better than nothing. The manager is likeable and worth the visit but I suggest eat/drink in the salon area and not sleep here. Internet WiFi is unpredictable. I can't completely diss this place but again for $230 a night, I expect exceptionally clean, a comfortable bed and fantastic bathroom. The place was lacking.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lalikes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
quintessentially
Reviewed 3 February 2010

This is a well hidden gem, right in the heart of Lagos. You wouldnt really know it was a guesthouse from the outside. But you walk in, and its such a lovely, warm and very relaxed environment. The rooms are all individually designed in an afro-centric manner, with lots of interesting local paintings and art for sale hanging on the walls and at the weekends they have poetry recitals and live music in the bar area. I found that it was a bit of a hub for young, professional ex-pats looking for something a bit different. All in all a good stay, great food at good prices and the staff made life a lot easier with help and advice. Will definitely be heading back there next time I'm in Lagos.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank quintessentially
Nomad
Reviewed 11 June 2009

After reading the reviews on TP of this I thought I had found just the place in Lagos. Unfortunately, I’d have to strongly disagree with all the 5 star reviews. The rooms (I checked out two) are large but not very comfortable or well maintained/equipped. The common area is small, smoky, and the table tops are sticky with beer residue (when I checked in, I got a whiff from the lobby area and it smelled like a pub – not that I’d mind, but not if that is the only common area outside your room). The art is good, but frankly I wouldn’t care if it was there or not – I was looking for a good place to stay. I had planned on staying for a week but checked out the next day and moved into a proper hotel. The food, though pricy for a guest house, was very good but very limited options. Water/Beers/drinks were just as expensive as the larger hotels. Lastly, the generator (a nuisance in all thing Lagos, but more so in not so tall building) can be heard in all rooms on the back end of the hotel – not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hereford UK
Reviewed 17 May 2009

This hotel is something different, and is on a quiet road, with a real feel of an African Art gallery.
I was stunned by the quality of Art both outside and inside the building and was particularly impressed with the steel horse outside , and the front door whilst welcoming is obviously secure.
You access the hotel through a small front garden with parking to the side and go straight into reception and the bar area.
This area kept my interest for quite a while, looking at the pictures and photos as well as sculptures in the bar.
There is wi-fi Internet access through the hotel in bars and the rooms.
The whole building keeps interest and for followers of African art is well worth seeing even if you just pop in for a drink.
Bedrooms also are spacious and clean, with comfortable beds but there are limited rooms in this hotel, and so yu have to book in plenty of time as it was full when i visited.
Prices for Lagos are extremely reasonable for accomodation, meals and drinks and the security is good and friendly .
All in all I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank LezGoLezGo
UK
Reviewed 5 July 2008

This Lagos boutique hotel was a great find. It was recommended by a friend and I was not disappointed. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the service was generally good. Its a great oasis of calm and comfort in the hustle and bustle of Lagos.

The food was very tasty though could be a little spicy. Most evenings there is live music which was just so lovely. My room was beautifully designed with lots of local art on the walls

It only has 10 rooms so I would advise you book early. I highly recommend this hotel to someone who prefers the smaller hotel with character rather than the big chains

• Liked — The service and rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tolagbegi