“Feel at home in Lagos”

Ranked #30 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Feel at home in Lagos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I used this hotel as a base while doing some business in Nigeria. Most of the hotels I stayed in during this trip were lamentably bad but this one was different. The staff are very friendly, the food quite good and the rooms spacious and pretty clean. The hotel is small and unobtrusive and feels very safe. It is pretty near the airport and the staff will organise pickups for you if required.I found the rooms rather dark to work in but moved to the Suite which has a separate light room which is fine for working or meeting people.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cathyhugotrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

My mother and I spent 10 nights at the African Garden Lodge towards the end of July. We were in the African Garden Queen room, opposite the bar. The room was modest in size, clean and well furnished. The bathroom was a little on the small side and lacked storage space for toiletries, but the large-headed shower worked a treat. Hangers were scarce but these were soon provided. Overall the room was pleasant and cool (great air con) but could have done with a fresh lick of paint. Fresh towels and bedding are provided daily - if requested, otherwise the room is untouched.

The food was delicious, and with five venues in which to eat (our room, the dining room, two garden bars and the VIP lounge, meal times took on a sense of adventure. My favourite dishes were nkowobi, (cow’s foot in spicy sauce) and fresh catfish in pepper soup – utterly superior and totally memorable. Unfortunately, the food was not always piping hot and we sometimes had to wait ages for it to arrive, so it’s best to order well in advance.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough, especially the Guest Relations Manager, James Samuel (Sam) for whom nothing was too much trouble. The helpfulness and courtesy of his team, the catering and security staff was commendable.

I chose the AGL because of the good reviews: reasonably priced, quiet location, good food. I wasn’t disappointed. Original artwork and lush gardens (some of the plants had their own air conditioning!) contribute to the quirky flavour of this boutique hotel, which successfully manages to be a real hideaway from the hustle and bustle of Lagos life. I would definitely recommend it and hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: The African Garden Queen is opposite the bar, so there can be some noise. Quiet by 11pm.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank carolinelewis2
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

If you need to stay in the Ikeja area of Lagos this a fantastic place to stay.

The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and decorated tastefully (my favourite room is the African Royal Suite), the food is good and best of all you don't feel like you are staying in an institution. African Garden Lodge is definitely not as fancy as the big business hotels in Lagos - be prepared for the occasional hiccup with running water supply - but it beats them hands down for value for money, atmosphere and service.

There is a lovely small garden bar where residents can also eat dinner. I've eaten in a lot of places in Lagos - and got ill from food even at the smartest hotels, but I stayed in this place for around two months, had just about everything on the menu and never got ill once. So clearly their kitchen has high standards too.

I recommend the Chairman's catfish its probably the best fish I've ever had.

Room Tip: African Royal Suite
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank veronica087
swindon uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

I spent 3.5 weeks there and Mama still rules although she has retired. The hotel is clean and most things work most of the time. Staff are really good and nothing is too much trouble. When I asked where I could go to smoke a Shisa pipe, they went and bought one so that I could smoke it in the hotel bar.
Food is really good, with a range of traditional African and European dishes. The fresh catfish is really good and if you dont want the hot pepper you can order it without. They have wonderful BBQ chicken. My request to have pounded yam with bolognaise sauce instead of pepper soup was met with surprise but it arrived as requested.
My stay was such that I have no reservations about suggesting it as a haven in Lagos.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank bribarbSwindonUk
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

In terms of service, I absolutely fell in love with the African Garden Lodge. I traveled with my brother. From the pickup at the airport to our departure (around five days), this was the best customer service during my entire two week stay in Africa (also stayed in Ghana.) Mama and the management staff helped arrange transportation/guides for our stay. They were helpful in recommendations on activities on which to do, and frankly made us feel like we were at home every moment of the trip. When the owner takes the time out of her busy schedule to meet with you for a drink; this shows a level of dedication which is witnessed few and far between.

Layout: When you enter the African Garden Lodge the first thing that you notice is the attention to detail. In the very busy, urbanized environment of Lagos, this place transports you to another location. The trees, plants, paintings, sculptures and decorations that adorn the grounds all provide a feeling you are in a tranquil garden. The attention to detail at the bar was one of the things that stood out. This ambiance is continued when you enter the lodge main office.

Rooms: All the rooms were clean, air conditioned; the bathrooms had hot water with very good water pressure. Our room even had a guest room attached. The layout of the room was just as beautiful as the previously mentioned gardens.

The best amenity for me (and there were many to choose from) was the free Wifi. The connection was fast which allowed us to go to websites that required higher bandwidth.

The negative was that some of the staff seemed to have a hard time understanding our American English, so instead of asking us to repeat ourselves, they attempted to guess what we wanted, which had us incur several errors in our food requests. All the errors were quickly corrected, but it was a mild annoyance.

In closing the place was just incredible; the manager of guest relations Finnih took the time to make us feel welcomed, and that is the exact feeling we were left with. I entered as a guest and left with the feeling of family, which is why everyone calls it “Mama’s Place.” There is no doubt that when I return to Lagos, this is the place I will stay.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank pghodysseus
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

So this is a long-delayed review, for I stayed at the AGL back in August 2009. But I have been meaning to write and the time is now. I slept at the AGL on two separate occasions. The first time I had a quite small, unimpressive room on the backside of the property called the Garden Standard Room. The room itself wasn't great but the food was good, the ambience was great, and I liked being in the neighborhood, away from the street chaos. (Plus, it allowed me to exercise in the neighborhood without problems.) The second time I went back, a couple weeks later, I got The African Queen, I think it was called, and I really can't recall a better value anywhere. Great, clean room. TV. Wonderful services, food, etc. And really a wonderful price, especially when compared to the outrageously overpriced rooms at the big-name hotels around town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank neschmidle
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

We were a groupof 6 including grandmother,parents and 3 older children one of whom is a teen.
We stayed in the African royalsuite and the African Queens Suite both of which surpassed our expectations forone night. They were both large and comfortable and provided enough space for all six of us.The bath and toilet facilities were good.We were collected from the airport by the hotel shuttleservice -large airconditioned cars ,my only gripe was the music being played in the car. Eminem with all his swearing is not my first second orl ast choice.The driver did oblige and change the music when asked.
I appreciate the African art which was on ample display but this might be a liittle scary for younger children (notably my youngest). All in all I would recommend the African Garden Lodge tofriends and family and would have no problem using it again in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family