“Lovely Hotel (Landscape/Interior) Terrible Customer Service!!”

Clear Essence California Spa and Wellness Resort
Ranked #1 of 414 Lagos B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel (Landscape/Interior) Terrible Customer Service!!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I decided to stay at the Clear Essence because of the lovely reviews that I had seen online. I was extremely disappointed with my stay at Clear Essence and will definitely not choose this hotel for my future visits to Lagos. A number of incidents occurred that I made the staff aware of at the Front Desk but nothing was done about this. While I must say the rooms and the overall appearance of the hotel are lovely, in particular the landscape - really beautiful, however the service is what lets this hotel down.

Unprofessional Conduct

We were given a quote for the entire stay (2 weeks) and this was settled before we even arrived so that we would only have to bother about paying for room service upon check out. When it came to check out the person at the front desk told us that we had been given the wrong quote and that the guy that gave us the quote had been fired for giving us the wrong quote, among other reasons. Guests should never be made aware of such internal communications issues and I believe that this is highly unprofessional and should never have been discussed with us. If a customer has been given a quote and the bill has been settled, it is not the customers’ business if the hotel has not informed their staff of the correct prices - that is an internal communication issue!

Lack of Communication

On Christmas day in the morning, I woke up a bit late and rang the reception at 11:05am to order breakfast for my guest and I. Bearing in mind that I am aware that the last call for breakfast is before 11:00am. The member of staff that picked up the phone acknowledged that fact that I was 5 minutes late and informed me that she would call the kitchen and squeeze me in. She did not call my room, so I assumed that the order had been placed and we would be having breakfast. 12:00pm went by and still I had heard nothing, I decided to call the front desk to see what was happening. The staff member informed me that the kitchen decided not to take the order because I was 5 minutes late. In my opinion, this incident was a poor exhibition of good customer service. The staff member should have called me back within 5 minutes to inform me that the order could not be taken and I could have made alternative arrangements. Due to the fact that this was Christmas day they should have done this!

Unresponsive Staff

On a number of occasions, I called for housekeeping to send a staff member so that items of clothing could be ironed. The majority of times that I did call the front desk, I always stressed that I was going out within 30 minutes and would need someone to pick them as soon as possible. On five occasions I had to wait more than 45 minutes for someone to come and pick the items to be ironed. On one occasion no one showed up at all!

Inability to Follow Instructions

On New Year’s day my guest and I decided that we would go to a nearby ice cream store to purchase some ice cream for later on in the day. We came back to the hotel at around 5pm and informed the staff at that we had bought some ice cream to eat later and we wondering whether it could be placed in freezer and we would ask for it later as we were going out for dinner. After dinner, we returned to the hotel and once in our room rang the front desk to request that the ice cream be brought to our room. Upon arrival the ice cream had completely melted and was dripping out of the box, it leaked all over the room and was not fit for consumption.

Bearing in mind all that happened above, a couple of days before I was due to leave the hotel I had become extremely frustrated with the lack of customer service and I called the front desk to ask for the manager. The gentleman at the front desk was very polite and promised to have the manager visit my room (I informed him that I would be in all day as I had not planned on going out that day). The manager was in a meeting at the time I called and I was promised that the manager would be with me within the next 2 hours. Unfortunately, as expected the manager never showed up and I did not receive a call or an apology for this. At this point, I had given up on trying and decided that I would ignore everything as it was only a matter of days and I would be back in London.

This is a lovely hotel, but there customer service skills are non-existent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VeeAy13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Riyadh, KSA
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I booked my self in to the place assuming its a resort however i found out later that they only had a SPA. The place even doesn't have a swimming pool. Its a very small hotel (17 rooms only) only 1 small restaurant and a bar.

However its a very cozy place. The staff is very helpful and once you stay here for a few days it feels like being home. The quality of the food is very good especially the spicy chicken curry and the internet is also very fast. The laundry service is also excellent.

Ask for a room with hot water, quite neighbours and a working safe before you check in.

Room Tip: Ask for the following 1. A room with hot water 2. rooms with quite neighbours 3. A working safe
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MYRK
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

It was a wonderful experience for me. The garden was beautiful. The rooms spacious and clean. The environment very serene. An excellent getaway from the hustle and bustle of Lagos. You would miss out from the nigerian dishes but their cooking is fantastic. Looking for a place for honeymoon that is the place to go. Enjoy the delightful fragrances,spa and relrelaxation

• Stayed October 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We planned this experience since long and must say we had a refreshing and happy stay. I must say ambience and beauty of hotel took our breath away. Experienced as what we had in mind and much more as expected. I would like to compliment the staff (Reception, Housekeeping & Dinning team) who made our stay relaxed. will love to come with friends again. Thank u...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PERT1105
Delhi
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Me, my partner and our friends stayed here for three nights recently, and can happily say we had a fab experience. On arriving we were seen to straight away and everyone spoke great english and gave warm welcome ,offered flavored welcome drink. The rooms were clean, comfy, wi fi enabled...everything and more you need in a city hotel. House-keeping attended the room every morning.
The bar in the lobby was a nice place to meet up, and most of the staff were really helpful. Of course the view of the beautiful garden from the lobby was one attraction.Having a dinner under the sky at peaceful place with light instrumental music gives great feeling and makes place more romantic. One night we wanted a dinner, the barman pointed us in the direction of a great vineyard restaurant . Another night we wanted a reservation at a restaurant and the concierge was more than happy to ring them and do this for us and we experienced a good meal after a tiring day .How we can left spa of this place before leave,here i enjoyed deep tissue by trained bali female staff.
On our checkout day our flight was not until 6pm and the hotel was happy to store our luggage away for us until we were ready to go, allowing us to make the most of our last day in Lagos.

Room Tip: Take a garden view room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yogesh K
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Clear Essence for one night with my wife on our anniversary. Our stay wasn't quite long enough to give a very well considered view of the hotel but the hotel is a small boutique hotel with a very nice ambience. It is very clean and the landscaping is quite good.

The rooms are quite spacious for most hotels in Lagos but in the morning I had trouble getting hot water to run. Had to take a shower with water below lukewarm. Nice spa treatments are available but are quite expensive so come with enough to spend if you want to enjoy the spa experience.

It is a small quiet hotel next to most places you will want to take a short drive to on the island. I will recommend it to young couples who just want to get away from noisy Lagos.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dupri00
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was in Lagos on a business trip and was put i this hotel by my company. The rooms are beautiful,clean and new. State of the art electronics and furniture, reminded me of the W hotel in Westwood California. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I had a spa pedicure and manicure the lady took 1 hour on my feet alone. It was amazing. Only a few guests which I am not surprised, not just anyone can stay here it is very expensive. Yet and still it is better then the Sheraton 100 times over and way more secure and private. I felt very safe as an American women staying by herself.

Room Tip: If you ask Neil nice enough he may put you i executive suite
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business