“No airco”

Ranked #68 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Heiloo
“No airco”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Bad stay , no airco , no internet in the rooms . When contacting front desk and manager a lot of contradicting explanations about the reason of the problem . I don't feel they are telling the truth about the problem . The corridors are full of mold , carpets dirty .
Breakfast and restaurants are good , for the rest if you can avoid the hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 1968roger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Fremont, California, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The food service here is excellent, from the variety, quality and presentation; although the dinner buffet prices are high, as you would expect for Lagos. Seeing such good quality in the restaurant made the disappointment even greater for my sleeping room. The internet was out 7 of the 10 days of my stay. The mildew in the room was terrible! Lagos is not the climate for wall to wall carpeting. Not only was the carpet worn but always damp so harbored mold. It looks like they are building another wing. They should take some of that money and put it to renovating the existing sleeping rooms. The hallway also smelled moldy so it wasn't just my room. The quality is not what business travelers expect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sanfransal

Travellers are raving about these Lagos hotels

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The rooms are ok. There is many food options, there's a good buffet, complete breakfast, outside homemade pizzas. It is a nice hotel to rest and there's live music at night. Friendly crew, specially in the reception and security inside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Upon arrival, all was great. The decor, the mood... (Though the walls outside could use some painting). Getting to the front desk the price we we're given was more than twice d amt we saw online. My husband talked it down to half which was a little more than $200... ( really annoying cuz u'd expect that they Wld hav a standard price list so u Dnt feel cheated). In the room, d Ac took about 3hrs to cool, there was no wifi signal in d rooms and we we're given only one hr of Internet time. The shower handles weren't working so we were forced to use the bath.Getting to d pool, we signed in, took towels and seats under d shade. A white lady came to the seats in front of us, took off her clothes and went straight into the pool.. (Silence). My husband and I then went into d pool, the d guard ran up to us and said we shld go and shower first (aaaargh) we ignored him. 2 white men came in after us and yet again, silence from the guard. At night, my sister and her husband came to visit, we sat at d lounge in d reception, my sis and I wanted to go up to d room to get stuff... Waiting for d elevator was my sis and I & a white dude. The security walked up to my sis and I and said we had to go and register at d front desk, d door opened, white dude went up, I was there with a security guard mad with fury. Had to present my keycard.
I am all for regulations but it shld be applied to everybody no matter d race.
On d bright side, d hotel was clean, d food was really good, but with the treatment my husband and I got, we checked out d next day.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Iffy_oo
Adedotun A, Manager at Golden Tulip Festac Lagos, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Mrs. Iffy,

We thank you for your recent review of our hotel. This actually provides us the opportunity to see and correct wrongs our guest must have experienced.
The air condition issue experienced during your stay was as a result of an upgrade being carried out on our power plant to further ensure best service delivery.
I will appreciate if you can provide the number of the room you stayed in to investigate the shower handle complaints.
Every guest in the hotel is treated as a VIP as the management does not tolerate unfair treatment to any guest. However necessary steps are being taken to ensure there are no recurrence.
The wifi was being upgraded for an improved service, we are sure that your next stay at the hotel will be pleasant.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have selected Golden Tulip Festac Lagos by internet because it is pretty close to the airport, and with free shuttle service. I have paid through Internet with my credit card, and i had all the supports, when I arrived on the 13 th January, they said the booking is ok, but it was not paid, and I have to paid again. They said the suttle to the airport was free, and they charged me US$ 25 for one one way.and US$ 25 for the way to the airport.
The room are small, less than 16 sq mt, full of furniture, so you can badly come in. The service is not well appointed and slow. Very poor rate. I'm waiting for the refun of the double payment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ally M
Adedotun A, Manager at Golden Tulip Festac Lagos, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Ally M,

The management thanks you for sharing your recent experience of the hotel.
We suspect that there has being a misrepresentation of information regarding the hotel as your claims do not fall within the terms and conditions of the hotel.

We do not offer free shuttle service on any of our online platforms. Also our standard room is 30sqm and not 16sqm. However, the management hopes to see this issue resolved and as such request that you send all the details of your last booking (confirmation letter, platform where you booked and your bank statement showing the double charge) to reservations@goldentulipfestaclagos.com.

We are committed to you as our valued guest and hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you during your next visit to the city of Lagos.

Kind regards,

Adedotun Adewumi

Asst. Revenue Manager
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is set up for use by flight crews coming in and out of Lagos and for conferences. Everything is geared towards that type of use. This drives a lot of the services that the hotel offers. From the outside, the hotel is a large, hulking concrete structure with no redeeming style. The inside is the same.

First, the rooms are old, mildewed, and in poor shape. Maybe I got a bad one, but my allergies kicked in from the black mold in the air conditioning. The bath is flimsy and uses one of those converters from bath to shower that is hard to figure out. I've been in a lot of hotels, but needed instruction for this one. On the floor I was staying, the hallway had large white and black stains on the walls and carpet, which smelled like mildew.

Service is odd. For example, when we were there, every day all of the electronic room keys expired. This is irritating when you finish a long day, and have to go back to the front desk to reissue the key. I pointed out that I was there for a week conference and would like my key to stay in effect. This had to be escalated to the general manager before they would reprogram my key.

Second service note: I asked if they wanted a card for incidentals when I checked in. I was told no card was required as the room had been prepaid. That night, I ordered room service. After an hour, I was told (by an angry call from the front desk) that I had to pay cash since I had not registered a card. Ok, so I paid cash. However, the room service staff did not have change, and took another hour to bring it back.

Incidents like this were common and repeated.

I did check out the gym. There are only two or three old machines, in such poor shape that I was unable to use them for more than a few minutes. The weights are barbells, which stop at 2 kilograms. I asked if there were other weights - and was told yes - they had been ordered and would be there soon! I asked when - and was told that they had been ordered six months prior. Who knows...

The food, however, is quite good. The buffets were plentiful, with Western, Arab and Nigerian dishes, and the quality was high. Vegetables were fresh and clean, and I did not get sick from anything over the week I was there, which is unusual for me in Nigeria.

The conference facilities were in keeping with the hotel's condition - adequate but dilapidated and dirty.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DallasJack
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Considering the fact that the hotel is in Lagos, Nigeria, I must say, it's very good. The rooms size is good, they clean it thoroughly everyday, the security is good, internet is more than good for the average, there are a couple of tennis courts as well as two for squash and a nice and clean pool as well as a spa.
All the staff working at the hotel is extremely amiable and helpful.
The restaurants as well as the pool service is good and they are changing menus constantly to keep customers from getting bored.
The pillows are no so good and the hotel is located far from the airport and no so close to Victoria Island and a bit in the middle of nowhere. This two are the only cons I can find. The last will disappear because they are building a big shopping mall next door and when finished the area will become one of the centers of the city.
The hotel is so good and improving due mainly to the Hotel Director. Since his arrival things are changing constantly to better.

Room Tip: I like the rooms overlooking the swimming pool although some days they are noisy during the early ni...