“Over - Priced, filthy hotel”

Golden Tulip Festac Lagos
Ranked #62 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
“Over - Priced, filthy hotel”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My family including me were in this hotel for 3days in May. The hotel is over - priced, run down with brown water from taps. The dampness of the room made it impossible for us to have a good sleep. I woke with headaches every day we were there. The porters were rude one want to search my hand bag before letting me when I came from the wedding reception that brought me to Lagos in the first place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Adedotun A, Manager at Golden Tulip Festac Lagos, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Osats,

The management appreciates your recent feedback of the Hotel.
We are glad to inform you that the issue with the quality of water experienced during your stay has been resolved.
The dampness in your room was as a result of renovation work being carried out to ensure the highest standard in our service delivery.
Lastly the security check carried out at the hotel is done by our security personnel to further ensure we properly safe guard our guest. We hope to have you in the hotel during your next visit to Lagos, as we look forward to ensure you have a better feel of our services.

Kind regards,

Adedotun Adewumi

Asst. Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel before arriving. On arrival we were told that there was no room available for us. We waited for 4 hours until a room was given to us. When we wanted to pay for are stay all the card machines didn't work, the receptionist tried 5 card machines none of them worked. Even the ATM machine was not working. My husband and I had to go to the bank to get money to pay for are stay, we only paid for 4 days. Luckily we kept hold of are receipts as on the second day are room was not cleaned. We phoned to complain at 4pm and two managers came to are room asking to see the receipts for are payment. They then said that we should move to another room which was clean. After 2 hours the air conditioning didn't work, which was the last straw as we checked out the next day. We were meant to stay for 9 days but left early. The facilities inside and outside are poor. The table tennis table was broken and the mirrors on the wall in sports room cracked. The room we stayed smelled of damp and the carpets were stained. The hotel needs a lot of updating as it is poorly maintained and badly managed by the managers. We will not be staying here again or recommend it to others, it was a terrible experience for us.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank betty34556

Travellers are raving about these Lagos hotels

Heiloo
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Bad stay , no airco , no internet in the rooms . When contacting front desk and manager a lot of contradicting explanations about the reason of the problem . I don't feel they are telling the truth about the problem . The corridors are full of mold , carpets dirty .
Breakfast and restaurants are good , for the rest if you can avoid the hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 1968roger
Fremont, California, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The food service here is excellent, from the variety, quality and presentation; although the dinner buffet prices are high, as you would expect for Lagos. Seeing such good quality in the restaurant made the disappointment even greater for my sleeping room. The internet was out 7 of the 10 days of my stay. The mildew in the room was terrible! Lagos is not the climate for wall to wall carpeting. Not only was the carpet worn but always damp so harbored mold. It looks like they are building another wing. They should take some of that money and put it to renovating the existing sleeping rooms. The hallway also smelled moldy so it wasn't just my room. The quality is not what business travelers expect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sanfransal
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The rooms are ok. There is many food options, there's a good buffet, complete breakfast, outside homemade pizzas. It is a nice hotel to rest and there's live music at night. Friendly crew, specially in the reception and security inside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Upon arrival, all was great. The decor, the mood... (Though the walls outside could use some painting). Getting to the front desk the price we we're given was more than twice d amt we saw online. My husband talked it down to half which was a little more than $200... ( really annoying cuz u'd expect that they Wld hav a standard price list so u Dnt feel cheated). In the room, d Ac took about 3hrs to cool, there was no wifi signal in d rooms and we we're given only one hr of Internet time. The shower handles weren't working so we were forced to use the bath.Getting to d pool, we signed in, took towels and seats under d shade. A white lady came to the seats in front of us, took off her clothes and went straight into the pool.. (Silence). My husband and I then went into d pool, the d guard ran up to us and said we shld go and shower first (aaaargh) we ignored him. 2 white men came in after us and yet again, silence from the guard. At night, my sister and her husband came to visit, we sat at d lounge in d reception, my sis and I wanted to go up to d room to get stuff... Waiting for d elevator was my sis and I & a white dude. The security walked up to my sis and I and said we had to go and register at d front desk, d door opened, white dude went up, I was there with a security guard mad with fury. Had to present my keycard.
I am all for regulations but it shld be applied to everybody no matter d race.
On d bright side, d hotel was clean, d food was really good, but with the treatment my husband and I got, we checked out d next day.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Iffy_oo
Adedotun A, Manager at Golden Tulip Festac Lagos, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Mrs. Iffy,

We thank you for your recent review of our hotel. This actually provides us the opportunity to see and correct wrongs our guest must have experienced.
The air condition issue experienced during your stay was as a result of an upgrade being carried out on our power plant to further ensure best service delivery.
I will appreciate if you can provide the number of the room you stayed in to investigate the shower handle complaints.
Every guest in the hotel is treated as a VIP as the management does not tolerate unfair treatment to any guest. However necessary steps are being taken to ensure there are no recurrence.
The wifi was being upgraded for an improved service, we are sure that your next stay at the hotel will be pleasant.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have selected Golden Tulip Festac Lagos by internet because it is pretty close to the airport, and with free shuttle service. I have paid through Internet with my credit card, and i had all the supports, when I arrived on the 13 th January, they said the booking is ok, but it was not paid, and I have to paid again. They said the suttle to the airport was free, and they charged me US$ 25 for one one way.and US$ 25 for the way to the airport.
The room are small, less than 16 sq mt, full of furniture, so you can badly come in. The service is not well appointed and slow. Very poor rate. I'm waiting for the refun of the double payment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ally M
Dear Ally M,

The management thanks you for sharing your recent experience of the hotel.
We suspect that there has being a misrepresentation of information regarding the hotel as your claims do not fall within the terms and conditions of the hotel.

We do not offer free shuttle service on any of our online platforms. Also our standard room is 30sqm and not 16sqm. However, the management hopes to see this issue resolved and as such request that you send all the details of your last booking (confirmation letter, platform where you booked and your bank statement showing the double charge) to reservations@goldentulipfestaclagos.com.

We are committed to you as our valued guest and hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you during your next visit to the city of Lagos.

Kind regards,

Adedotun Adewumi

Asst. Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Sunfit
#21 of 130 in Lagos
Welcome Centre Hotels
Welcome Centre Hotels
#14 of 130 in Lagos

Been to Golden Tulip Festac Lagos? Share your experiences!