“Pretty Good with a few glitches”

Four Points by Sheraton Lagos
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty Good with a few glitches”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed at the Four Points for a week. Travelling alone on business, my key concerns were cleanliness, safety and a decent environment in which to work. This hotel meets all three of these requirements reasonably well, with the exception of their wifi service, which was at best annoying and at worst, non-existent for a full day.

The hotel advertises "free" in-room wifi. The reality: signal strength was poor inside my room and the "free" service is throttled, forcing you through a tedious log-in process every 45 minutes. Continuous wifi service is available at a cost (too steep for my needs) so I put up with the login annoyance. One day, all wifi was unavailable and hotel staff just stated this as a fact with no apology or any indication of the length of time to repair.

Other technological glitches included daily power outages (2 to 3 times a day for several minutes at a time) and non-functioning room phones. My desk phone did nothing at all, while the phone by the bed did not dial out correctly. I tried several times, but following the instructions as written, my call would not go through. Finally, I had the hotel operator put the call through.

Hotel staff throughout were reasonably friendly, with the exception of the front desk staff, who were not great. Overall, I'd say they could all use a lesson in customer service befitting the Sheraton brand. They are not up to par.

Check in and check our are more tedious than in most hotels. Among the annoyances: I was charged for a local call that did not go through and when I asked for the charge to be removed, the desk staff flatly refused. Apparently attempting to make a call is sufficient to incur a cost. Advice to others: use Skype (or similar) to make local calls.

There was plenty of security presence. You had to use your room card in the elevator to get to your floor and there were security guards stationed on each floor.

Eating at the hotel is another adventure. The hotel restaurant - the Brazzerie - serves an utterly un-inspired buffet morning, noon and night. The evening I arrived, I was a bit hungry, so I went down and asked for an a la carte menu, wanting only a light meal. I was told that they did not have an a la carte offering and that the only option was the (rather expensive) buffet. I asked if there was another option for eating in the hotel and was told this was the only restaurant and my choice was the buffet or room service (even more expensive).

I ended up paying too much for a small amount of truly poor quality food on the first and second nights of my stay. FYI, the buffet looked pretty much exactly the same both nights. On both evenings, I saw many other hotel guests come in and ask for a menu just as I had. Each was told the same thing: this is the only restaurant; it's the buffet or room service.

WRONG!

Perhaps, strictly speaking, it is the only restaurant, but it is not your only food option in the hotel. There are several bars, at least two of which serve food. I did not try the sports bar offerings, but I did eat at the Office bar, located on the roof deck. It served a really nice barbeque where I enjoyed grilled king prawns and grilled vegetables that were quite delicious - a million times better than the buffet.

The hotel is well located near many restaurants within a 10-minute drive. The car rental in the hotel, while pricey (400 Naira or approx US$26 for an hour with a car and driver), is reliable and provided clean vehicles.

You should also know that the Cafe Cappucino in the lobby is excellent. I never tried the buffet at breakfast, but I thoroughly enjoyed a terrific latte and one of the best croissants this side of the Seine for breakfast each day. The only thing that would have made it better would be a fresh fruit offering of any kind. An apple or banana would have been a nice treat. But the coffee and baked goods were great - highly recommend Cafe Cappucino.

I did not try the spa, gym or pool areas.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor overlooking the Office Bar roof patio. It was quiet most nights, but on the w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Sandrmom,

Thank you for staying with us. Your constructive feedback and recommendation to us through tripadvisor is much valued.
Kindly accept our sincere apologies on your unsatisfactory experience with internet, phone and at the front desk. The issues raised are certainly not reflective of the usual standards of our hotel and would be discussed with the relevant departments.
It’s great to know you enjoyed the services at The Office bar and we would indulge you to visit the Adrenaline Sports bar during your next visit, as it offers exquisite delicacy.
Presently, we offer buffet at the Brazzerie restaurant and your view on the offering of “a la carte menu” has been presented to the management team.
For the internet service, we offer 1) unlimited 60 minutes complimentary internet package and 2) the chargeable premium internet package.
We look forward to having you stay with us again and wowing you beyond your expectations.

Your Friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am the CEO of a large technology company that is investing in Nigeria. At arrival at the airport I 'lost' my wallet and had no credit cards or money, my arrival was on a Sunday evening.
Despite being a so called preferred Starwood member, and despite the booking at the hotel being made by our customer in Lagos , a leading Bank, I was treated quite appallingly.

When I arrived at the hotel, and having explained my predicament, I was told by the receptionist that I could not stay in the room as I had no card or means of payment with me. Despite the fact I was accompanied by a protocol officer from the airport who explained the situation, I was refused a room.

The attitude was one of hostility and menace- ' you can't pay sir, or you have to pay cash'. Particular mention should be made to the ' Head' of the reception team , whose name I believe was Esther. She was without doubt the most surly, dismissive and least trained in customer relation I have ever come across in my 30 years of business travelling.

In the end the local partners that I am working with came to help resolve the situation, but it was an ugly experience.

Now - in terms of the hotel. It's first and foremost a business hotel, the facilities are reasonable, the rooms are poor , the food is ok. It's not what you would expect from a Sheraton, and the room rates are high.

But what is especially ' needling' is the incremental charges, the overall staff attitude ( apart from the cleaners who always have a smile), the security which is overbearing, the silly, minor things like the room phones not working despite repeated requests to fix, the room not made up by 5pm on two occasions.

In my experience of running businesses these issues usually come down to poor management. Whoever is the head of this hotel should take a long look at my review. Sheraton may think they have the lead in Lagos, but on my last evening I moved out to the Oriental Hotel. The difference was immediate. Excellent service, polite staff, good food, great rooms.

I will ( thankfully) never return to the Four points, but the one major problem that team should address as a priority is their staff attitude, and in particular Esther, who I will be formally complaining about to Starwood Group's CEOFrits van Paasschen. directly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JustinFloyd
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear JustinFloyd,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos.

We would like to express our sincere apologies for the negative experience and encounters with our associates (especially Esther); be rest assured as your concerns has been shared with management and is been addressed.

Kindly note, that Four Points by Sheraton holds its SPG members in high esteem. We do our best in ensuring we deliver great services to our guests and also beckon on a high culture service standard among our associates.

We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back, make your stay an uncomplicated and memorable one.

London
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

I moved here after a day at Radisson Blu, and fond Four Points to be a breath of fresh air. The staff were attentive, and made me feel welcome from the reception desk. Ruth, Akinwale and Shirley deserve special mention.

I was a female traveller alone on business and felt safe throughout my stay. I used the hotel taxis quite a bit which was convenient.

A downside is I think the prices are a bit steep for what you get. The food, and price of rooms were quite steep. Also, there were 'hidden' charges, so a price seen suddenly gets hiked with taxes and service charges. As one based in a country that doesn't do this, can be quite a shock. Also, the power cuts can be quite unsettling especially at nights but the generator comes on after a few seconds. The management might want to look into a generator that provides a seamless transition so power cuts are unnoticeable to the customers.

That was the only downside. Four Points is also located centrally for restaurants, and offices so journeys to and fro are quicker than if you were on the mainland.

The rooms are lovely and clean and shower does the job.

Will recommend this place as a suitable business hotel, and will definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear holidayfan09 ,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos. It’s so glad to know that you had a great stay.
As part of our staff recognition program we will be sure to acknowledge Ruth, Akinwale and Shirley for their service.
Your reviews on the generator and the charges would be shared with management.
Please rest assured of a flawless and high value experience during your next visit to our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards
Your Friends
Durban
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Four Points as part of our new year holiday. Mistake. The hotel does not have much to offer families by way of holiday diversion. So you must treat this as a strictly business hotel - in this, they come up looking pretty good.
Service not spectacular, looks understaffed, cramped rooftop bar with poorly-trained, overworked waiters; but the food, as is the tradition with Sheraton was excellent. The rooms were also sparkling - but it really is a Spartan, if elegant hotel. But nothing stands out in the memory to warrant a repeat leisure stay, but I would put my business visitors here without hesitation.
Not a vacation destination.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank douglasude
Dear Douglasude,

Thanks for making Four Points by Sheraton Lagos your “Home away from home”, kindly accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations during your last stay.
Kindly note that four points by Sheraton is a family hotel, we have kids’ menu packages and also we have a kiddie’s playground every Sunday.
We do our best in ensuring we deliver great services to our guests and we also maintain a high culture standard among our associates
Kindly contact us on info.lagos@fourpoints.com to share more of your encounter with us, kindly be assured of great service during your next visit.
We look forward to having you and your family stay with us again and making your stay an uncomplicated one.

Thanks
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Secure hotels are few & far between in Lagos, thus you will pay a premium to stay here. We chose this hotel on recommendations made by our Security Team.
Reservations: Made them through the Starwood 800 number. Requested a conference room & a menu, and was told the hotel would contact me directly. I received an email from the hotel telling me the conference room was 70,000 NGN [about $450 USD] per day. After some negotiation they offered 50,000 NGN. I asked to reserve it for three days, and never received any confirmation. I also asked for a menu in every email exchange. That request was never even acknowledged. Some of my associates were arriving before me and the hotel required a credit card pre-authorization for each room and each type of charge [food, etc.] Took a few emails to actually get them to provide me the link for the pre-auth. but it did get done. Despite reassurances from the Starwood agent, the hotel never did get the names correct on the reservation, and I had to make an international call to them so they would allow the first guests to check in.

The Room: When I checked in, they were pleased to tell me they had upgraded me to the executive level on the 3rd floor b/c I was paying for several rooms for the week. That supposedly included breakfast & other special perks. In reality it was an identical room, with the same perks as our other rooms on the 5th floor. The included bkfst wasn't included. The room had 2 single beds, chair, desk & chair, TV [never turned it on], dresser, wardrobe, night stands, small refrigerator, Kettle, Iron & safe. Tile floors with a rug under the chair. It was very comfortable. The bathroom was fine too. Water was clear. Each day there were 4 bottles of water placed in the room, along with tea and instant coffee and two clean towels. Had African & UK [3 prong] and 1 European [2 prong] outlets, but no adapters. A/C ran constantly but never really cooled the room sufficiently. Door did not click closed unless slammed. View from the room was weird. You could see the ocean with more ships than you could count lined up to enter the port. You could see lots of hotels & other buildings under construction. You could see the "The Palms Mall", but right next door is a garbage sorting lot and tin shanties, a clear reminder of the divide between the haves and the have nots in Nigeria.

Food: Skip the restaurant. The food is not very good, the service is not good at all, and the price is ridiculous. We ate most meals out of our suitcases. A single donut in the lobby cafe is $4US. There is a patio outside on the 2nd floor. It was immeasurably better than the restaurant. One night, had one of the best steaks of my life, but in true Nigerian fashion, another night, ordered the same steak, it was less than half as thick, terribly overcooked, & tough as boot leather. Told the waiter who politely said "I'm sorry sir" and that was it. Service was notably better on the weekend than during the week. Live music Fri/Sat. most all music I heard there was 70's era light rock [eagles, commodores, etc.] One night was very good, the other night wasn't.

Conference Room:
Had a conference room for four days. None of the days were in the same room. As I mentioned earlier in this review, they never booked my conference reservations, so my associates talked to them about a room. They were quoted 250,000 Naira and 350,000 Naira per day. When I arrived they honored the 70,000 but not the 50,000. They convinced me to try the "coffee break" the first day. I was told it was coffee/tea/cappuccino with fruit, pastries & meat pies. They refused to put the coffee machine in the room at 8:00 but hold the snacks off until noon. Said it all had to come at the same time or they would charge us for 2 coffee breaks. We planned to use it as a light lunch, so we agreed. Then, when they brought it, they did not bring the "meat pies" but instead brought muffins. I asked about them and was told "we don't have meat pies today" It didn't matter at all to them what I had been promised. Finally, I tracked down the mgr. who worked on it and eventually brought in some sausage biscuits. The conf. rooms did have UPS which was useful during the frequent power outages so the projector didn't turn off. The third day, we were told we didn't have a reservation for a conf. room and were turned away. I had to go back to the mgr. again and then we had to wait for them to set up the room. One last thing, there is no temperature control in the conference rooms, so hot or cold, that's just what you get.

Security: I was satisfied with the security. There were armed guards at the gates, and the front door. There were also guards on each floor. They were very attentive and seemed to be aware of who was coming & going. You need a key card to use the elevator or to open the stairwell doors onto a floor.

Other: I paid for internet access for the week, the room comes with "free" internet. It is metered, throttled, and logs you off every 45 min. so you can check email, but that's about it. The week service doesn't seem to be limited to one or two machines, so you could likely pay for it and share the code with others in your group. It is good enough for skype when it works, but some days it is flaky, and it goes off frequently with the power. It was off for one entire day, they just said "sorry, it isn't working and we don't know when it will come back on. No offer to refund the day. The front desk will exchange USD for NGN [rate was 155 for $1], but only $200 at a time and only for registered guests. They will not charge in the currency of your home country, only in Naira, so try to get a credit card that doesn't upcharge for foreign currency. A couple of last notes about this trip in general. We used a security company called Pilgrim to arrange secure transport to & from the airport [mma]. It was $ well spent, and for a reasonable fee, their "fast track" service is invaluable in the airport. The Gabfol Lounge in MMA does not have A/C for guests that are not United Business Class Elite.

Summary: If you took an old Sheraton, dropped it in downtown Detroit, put armed guards around it, put best western rooms in it, and motel 6 bathrooms in them, you'd have the Four Points Sheraton, Lagos.

Room Tip: The higher in the building you go the better view you will have of the ocean if you are on the back...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ibssguy
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Ibssguy,

I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with your overall experience during your stay. I would like to apologize for all inconveniences we must have caused you during your stay with us and it would be shared with the involved departments and management team.
The valuable comments you've made will be looked into and improved as it is our standard to always maintain high levels of service excellence in all areas.
Kindly contact us on Info.lagos@fourpoints.com to highlight us on your experience and be rest assured it addressed.
I sincerely wish you would join us again sometime soon where we can display our usual top level service and Nigerian hospitality.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The hotel is really poor, the food is not good at all, nothing to do in there except just sitting in the lobby with a friend. The SPA and Gym are not good as well, so you won't enjoy them, but you have to exercise anyway to waste your time and get healthy.
The surrounding area is extremely poor and I won't recommend anyone to get out of the hotel on foot specially at night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tamer_Ismail_
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Tamer I,

Thanks for your review. Kindly accept our apologies on your bad encounter during your stay. At Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, we ensure our guests feel home away from home during their stay by providing them great services .

Kindly contact us on info.lagos@fourpoints.com to share your encounter with us, as our guest's satisfaction is paramount to us.

Please rest assured of a flawless and high value experience during your next visit to our hotel .
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I'm a frequent traveler to Lagos, the best moment after coming back from a long day of work and long traffic is to reach the Hotel, the staff are very friendly, available and caring, the management team are very accessible and they do whatever possible to make my stay enjoyable, the rooms are clean, there some rooms that I personnaly dont like, eventhough they are big ;-) cause they are noisy and some have less wireless coverage on the high floors at the edge of the corridors, central rooms are the best. There is always live music ending at 10:30 at the roof top bar which varies every day, from time to time they bring amazing singers or musiciens, but overall diverse.

The Spa is amazing with a very perofesional asian therapists, even though I found the massage price a bit expensive but it is a weekend must do.

The gym is not too bad, well equiped though, but the studio is very good large and well lightened, they run classes ranging from yoga, taebo to spinning and dancing.

Overall the hotel is very well managed and maintained, oh nearly forgot .... the food.... That what I would rate medium, all the basics are there but they lack diversity, breakfast buffet is very monotone not too much choices, they have three theme nights, italian, mexican and sea food but it is litterally the same food packaged differently.

Room Tip: I like the room 320, and the one of the top of it, they are very spacious and not considered suite o...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mounir M,

Thanks for your comments and we appreciate you for making us your home away form home.

It's great to know you enjoyed your stay and your comments would be shared with the rest of the team.

It would be great to have stay with us soon and let us "wow" you above expectation.