“A good choice in centre”

Westwood Hotel Ikoyi
Ranked #50 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
London
“A good choice in centre”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I have stayed here a few times. Its a nice hotel; the rooms are not fantastic but they are good enough if you are here on business. The lounge and dining areas are nice, with a lovely view over the Creek. Its nice to sit int he comfy chairs in the lounge area and have coffee (or beer). There is free wifi although the connection is not always great. The staff are friendly, reliable and helpful

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
PHIKOYI, General Manager at Westwood Hotel Ikoyi, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback on your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood. It is important to know what we do right and more important to know what we do wrong. My STAFF will be happy to hear that you enjoyed there service. We are currently upgrading the rooms and looking at possible ways to improve connection of the internet.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood.

Yours in Hospitality

Jacques

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Blandford
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Protea for a week and wasn't sure what to expect on my first visit to Africa. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is clean, my bedroom (a standard room) was comfortable and everything worked most of the time including free wifi. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was decent enough, although the menu was slightly limited. The hotel organised a driver for me to get around, who was very good. At present there is a lot of building work going on as the hotel is being refurbished. Although the advertised times were 9 to 5, on some days it started before 7 and went on to midnight! My room also suffered as it was on the front of the hotel and there is a lot of road noise. It is definitely worth asking for a room at the back of the hotel. The biggest problem was trying to check out, as the credit card machine refused to work, even though I checked with my own bank.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Geoff S
PHIKOYI, General Manager at Westwood Hotel Ikoyi, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Geoff,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback on your "first time experience" in Lagos. I am please to hear that you were pleasantly surprised at the Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood. My STAFF will be happy to hear that you have appreciated there efficiency and friendlyness during your stay.

Please accept my apologies for the disturbance from maintenance at the late hour. Please note that rennovations are at its final stage and is scheduled to be completed by the end of October 2012. We are in the process of procuring a permanent solation for the noise.

Please ask for me when you are in Lagos or the area during your next stay so that I can upgrade you to a room of your choice.

Regards

Jacques de Jager
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We did a Technology update at the Protea ikoyi westwood Lagos Nigeria.
This was the second at the same hotel in two years, we came back because the last time the help and serrvice was so good.

The arrangements service and help that the catering and function staff gave us were superb.
Mr. Orji the catering manager was absolutley great. He proved to us what good service means

Room Tip: Get a corner room with Lounge attached, (suite)ask for LAN cable, wireless is still poor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
PHIKOYI, General Manager at Westwood Hotel Ikoyi, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear ColmV,

Thank you for your review about the Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood. My STAFF are delighted to know that you complimented them on their service. We have resolved the issue with the wireless intenet and I am happy to announce that we have increased our bandwith too.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood.

Yours in Hospitality

Jacques de Jager
Lagos
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Was in this new addition to the Protea family in Lagos Nigeria. This new hotel with a good view of the ocean was however very cramped. First of all parking is so inadequate and most have to park outside or in the nearby Creek Hospital.Toilets in the cramped lobby were terrible, looked clean but stench was bad. My wife had similar experience in female toilet.the staff looked stiff and tired. The restaurant was very ordinary and the menu very plain. Won't be coming back here in a hurry.they need to go to the other Proteas in town for a lesson or 2.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Femorata
proteaikoyi, General Manager at Westwood Hotel Ikoyi, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Femorata

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you and your wife experienced. We are in the process of renovating all our facilities to meet GUESTS'S expectations. I will personally ensure that we rectify the short comings.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Excellent service, and a good value for very expensive Lagos. Undergoing renovation, so a bit of a bustle during the day. Lagos is NOISY, so if you get a room facing the street, it can be a bit of a bother, but not overwhelming. Very good breakfast, which was included in my room rate. My room was on the top floor, and was quite small, but comfortable. Good water pressure in the shower, but individual water heaters means no long showers.The TV did not fit into its alcove, and was at a funny angle, but I got creative, and managed to pull it out and support it on the cabinet doors below it. Pretty good food on the regular menu. Nice outdoor seating area right on the river with views out to the US Embassy - they even have their own jetty at the hotel, although I don't know how practical it is. Small pool, but very clean.

Again, the highlight is the top notch service and the access to car hire service and airport transfers (for a fee.)

Room Tip: Noisy on street side and lower levels.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Oslo
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Lagos, Nigeria might not fit into the tourist travel destination category. That being said, this city is vibrant and very different from anything I've come across in Europe, America or Asia.

Lagos is in fact the first place I've visited on the African continent and I've been there 6 times all together.

A good reason to come back to Lagos is of course to have something to do there, but I think having a good and secure place to stay while being there is important too.

No to forget food. If you are staying a few days, then you are forced to try your body's resistance. So having found a good place to eat, is definitely the third important factor to consider.

Protea Hotel Westwood Ikoyi is a decent place that combined with a good reason to go to Lagos can be recommended.

The hotel is a 9 floor building with 6-8 rooms pr. floor. There is a police station on one side and a hospital on the other. River in the back and big walls on the front. The staff is always nice and the food is always good and safe (my experience).

Internet available in the rooms and anywhere else. Sometimes not the best connection, but I've skyped home every evening from my room. Bring a cable as the LAN connection is better than wifi in many rooms.

Espresso is served right! Everything else is a bit slow. You'll be waiting for anything, but STAR beer.

The boss, a South African, keeps everybody and everything in shape including himself. The GYM is alright.

One favorable thing to mention is the lack of people who don't live at the hotel. No buying or selling of anything.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms are better and bigger.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed here for a week. Its a very nice hotel, the staff are really friendly and helpful, and the restaurant and lounge areas are well appointed and relaxing. My room was on the 9th (top) floor with a great view across the Lagoon. The only reservations I had were that the internet is a bit intermittent, and often doesnt work in the room, and that the food selection in the buffet was sometimes a bit limited, but otherwise I would really recommend it. Its a good central location, which is important given the Lagos traffic!

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business