“Simply the best!!!”

Ranked #58 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Nigeria
“Simply the best!!!”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Planet one has really made some changes since the last time I visited. 3years ago I wasn't pleased when I stayed here but planet one really wowed me when I checked in early this month after a friend of mine recommended I visit again due to the huge changes the hotel had man. The rooms in the new wing are really amazing, my room was very spacious and had a jacuzzi which you will barely see in hotels area ikeja for 40,000NGN. Breakfast was very good, a lot of varieties to choose from compared to what I met the last time I came. The new bar bamboo is simply unique, I can say there is no bar that beats that in Lagos, the view from the terrace is amazing. The gym to my surprise was fully equipped and there was a gym instructor to assist u all through your gyming session. Am so happy with all the changes made and I will definitely visit planet one when next am in Lagos. Really felt like they knew what I look out for in hotels and they made all the necessary changes.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new wing!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I come over to Planet One Hotel and Wellness every time i am in Lagos.The serene environment i must say, connects me to my world of creative intuition in my digital Darkroom as a Professional Photographer. You know, the inter-play of the work of art, the natural ambiance, homely but professional staff, the melody from the piano etc just gives me a perfect mix of peace that helps my creative prowess. However, i think they should add more African dish to their menu.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I checked into this lovely hotel with my boyfriend on the 2nd of March and we stayed for 2nights. I had a lovely time at the bar bamboo VIP lounge with some of our friends. The art work in room 105 gave my boyfriend funny ideas the moment we stepped into the room, the jacuzzi was a must use for us. Fisherman soup in the continental restaurant was out of this world. We had an amazing experience and the staff where so friendly and helpful. I will definitely recommend this hotel for anyone coming into lagos. Make sure you ask for the rooms with exotic artworks if your coming for a romantic stay!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Planet 1 put a smile on my face, as I missed my flight and had to check into a hotel, and due to the fact I have heard so much about planet 1 , I decided to try it out and was amazed and excited as I never knew this kind of place existed as I was blinded by the hype of sheraton. I highly suggest people should try out this hotel and not base their decisions on some of these comments. I enjoyed the ambiance in planet one as it posed as a home away from home enviroment. The staffs were so friendly and I was treated like a King, I had so much attention from all departments in this hotel from the restaurant, to the front office, to the guest relations and even up to the senior management. I enjoyed my stay here and I advise you try out this hotel and make your own decision. There is a functional lift in planet one, and breakfast was simply amazing, that I had to even order what i ate in the morning also in the evening. I strongly recommend this hotel to frequent visitors to Nigeria as it is very close to the airport and also has its car hire services. The bamboo bar is to die for! Its decorated in a very eye catching way, and it really blew me away. My advise is not to let negative comments cloud your decisions as you would enjoy your experience Trust me!

• Stayed February 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I paid $222 per night for three nights in late Feb / early March. On arrival the receptionists were excited saying "Oh you are from TripAdvisor! Welcome!" (a false claim which I did not, I should mention, deny). I was shown up to my room (143) which was a decent size. There was one half-liter bottle of water. And one teabag. My colleague and his wife were staying in another room and had the same portions.

The day we arrived there was a blackout for ten seconds, another one or two, and then a complete blackout for over an hour. Fun! We wanted to have dinner and the staff said that they cook with gas so we can order. I had a stomach upset so ordered plain rice, which took the waiter three or four attempts to understand ("You mean rice with stew, sir?"). When I and my three colleagues had finished our meals we ordered the bill. By that time we were the only table in the restaurant. We counted nine staff milling around the dining room. Fifteen minutes later we had not received the bill so we asked again for it: "Two minutes, sir!". Five minutes later and still not having received the bill we got up and started walking out. At which point there was a sudden rush, the General Manager appeared as did the Customer Services Manager. We explained the situation and the GM seemed very annoyed with the staff and ordered them to bring us the bill. It was sorted out in around one minute.

Breakfast was ok but there is no water available. The bread was quite stale. The staff were inattentive. Several times they did not notice that there were items missing from our table (e.g. napkins, juice cups etc).

My room had one window which was in the corner of the room and measured approximately 40cm width and was around 150cm height. The window was dirty and the view looked out onto concrete and garbage. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were huge and hard: too big to fit in the gap between the bed and my head, so my head was at 45 degree angle pointing upwards when I tried to sleep, so I abandoned the pillows. The bathroom had a walk in shower (my colleagues paying the same price in rooms 138 and 138 had a huge bath!). The temperature of the shower did not get above coldish, whereas there was ample running hot water from the tap in the sink.

I used the gym twice. It contains some new and very good equipment. The gym staff are very friendly. The foor was filthy with visible bits of dirt. During my workout I asked the reception staff if there is a water fountain or where I could get water. She told me that there is no water and I have to order water from the restaurant, at which point I told her I was in the middle of a work-out and was not about to go to the restaurant to get water which should be provided in the gym. She then kindly brought me a half liter bottle of cold water and a bill for 2 USD. I signed it and left a note to the GM that this was the first gym (hotel or otherwise) that I have ever used where one has to pay for water. The GM kindly removed the water charge from my bill.

There is a small swimming pool which is too small to actually do any swimming. There is no spa or massage service, as advertised on the hotel's website. This probably is misrepresentation under Nigerian law, but since when do companies in Nigeria have to tell the truth?

In short, this is a hotel which is desperately trying to be a four star hotel. But the hotel needs to send in some mystery shoppers because the mistakes are so obvious from the customer point of view. Travellers to Lagos should expect to get ripped off. I would not recommend this hotel. There are better alternatives for this price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank budapestguy
Beirut
Reviewed 18 February 2013

When planning my trip to Lagos, my only concern was the accommodation because I was worried since ‎it was my first trip to the country. Shockingly, the saff were wonderful and very helpful. Very good ‎location. And the whole hotel with nice decoration. Beautiful lobby. Big, clean and comfortable room. ‎Everything was perfect!”‎

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed 2 nights in January 2013 and found this a very clean, well run hotel located in the heart of lagos. The rooms were in excellent shape and quite roomy. Breakfast was included and was very good. We had our 2 small children with us and were quite satisfied with the accommodation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family