“Appalling” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We travelled to Lagos to attend a wedding and were originally lodged at Protea in Ikeja where the service was courteous and professional, however as we were with the bridal party the standard rooms were too small for the bride and bridesmaids to change in. They were also admittedly quite expensive. We therefore moved to Planet One were, as it was a weekend we were given a 50% discount for what they called the Regency suites. We booked two and a bridal suite for 3 nights. My suite which I booked with my sister and which was supposed to be an upgrade on an executive suite did not have a single mirror in it and only one window which was within touching distance of a grey block, so no light there.

The bathroom had a Jacuzzi however the water was tepid so it wasn’t worth using. When I complained that we couldn’t even use the shower as it cold, and the water was not draining properly they sent someone up. He left looking baffled but promising that the drainage was now working properly. Not true, it had finally drained after about 30 minutes of him staring at it. If possible, the water was even colder. When I advised the reception that the issue has not been resolved there response was “he is not a plumber”. I was tempted to ask why they had sent him but I don’t think that would have gotten me anywhere. When I asked what they were going to do about the hot water I was told that they could bring us hot water in a bucket! We were being charged 32000NGN (approx £140 incl the disct) for a regency suite and being told that we had to bath in a bucket! As a result I was forced to shower in the brides suite.

The bridal suite was even worse (barring the fact that there was actually hot water), the bathroom toilet in the bridal suite and second regency suite were worse than that found in hostels and the bridal suite actually has a Jacuzzi INSIDE the bedroom. Now, I know that some people might see this as romantic but the smell of damp was overwhelming and the wallpaper and grout around the Jacuzzi were peeling. There was no artwork in the rooms and the colour scheme was dark and depressing. I was also told that the other regency suite overlooked the night club so there was no sleeping that night.

The staff complained that we had not advised them that we would be preparing for a wedding so we were disturbing other guest by taking pictures on the landing on the wedding day. (We had told them before booking, they had failed to communicate this to staff on the next shift). They completely screwed up the bills when we were leaving, The breakfast was average at best (we didn’t have lunch), The wifi only worked when sitting in from of the access point in the reception area and they actually sent a member of the legal staff to advise us that we could not eat snacks in the lounge as they were not from the hotel. Understable as I know that most hotels do not welcome this, however we had walked through reception with the snacks and actually asked a member of staff were we could eat them. If we had been told then, we would have taken them to our room.

The Duty Manager remained illusive throughout our three days as we wanted to speak to him/her about the lack of hot water, the poor drainage and to find out whether we could get a mirror sent to our room. He should also have been his/her duty to advise us that we were not allowed to eat in the lounge rather than sending a legal staff. Do they actually want people to stay at this hotel!
I know this all sounds like me whinging and I suppose I cannot expect the same level of service that I would expect from other international hotels (even though the service at Protea and Sheraton are both excellent), however these are issues could have been overlooked if the attitude of the staff had been helpful. Have these people not heard of Customer Service!

GIVE THIS HOTEL A MISS!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank CyberXploits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)