“Relaxed atmosphere for business stay”
Review of The Blowfish Hotel

The Blowfish Hotel
Ranked #15 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have frequently travelled to Lagos, and stayed in rather less than average - below 130 € / night -type of hotels. This time, we chose to go for a more expensive one - 200 € / night - and it proved to be a very effective experience. Rooms are spacious and clean, internet access was perfect, food (indian, thai and libanese) was excellent and sometimes very spicy (wich I like) although their new italian restaurant is quite a joke, and we could hold our many business meetings in the confortable lobby. Service can be good to extremely slow, especially at the pool. The pool is nice and clean. All in all, a medium size hotel with a cosy atmosphere, professional service from the counter personnel and a good place to relax after a busy working day. The only downside, maybe just for me, is the techno music that we are suppose to enjoy at the pool!

Room Tip: Rooms at the upper floors have more light and are quieter than those around the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Mr. Jerome,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Blowfish Hotel.

I want to thank you especially for highlighting the slow service at the pool.
I agree with you, the service was slow, especially that for the past few weeks it is becoming a destination of the local community in addition to our hotel guests, who want to take advantage of ordering from our various menus while having a beer and Shisha (Hubly Bubly) by the pool.

For this reason, we hired last week 3 waiters who are dedicated for the pool service.

Thank you once again Mr. Jerome, and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Blowfish Hotel.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Visiting for first time Nigeria and without knowing what to expect, the Blowfish hotel was a pleasant experience for me, located on Victoria Island, the best part of Lagos.
I stayed there for 4 days being on a business trip.
Staff was friendly, room was big enough, cool and not dry.
Food was very good at the restaurant, breakfast and dinners.
Short problems with electricity gaps during day and night were quickly solved. I understood that it was a problem of the area, not of the specific hotel.
The available internernet WiFi connection in the hotel was quite helpful.
Next time I will not forget to have some shower gel and some shampoo with me, just in case that they are not refilled and it is too late for getting some when needed, either from staff or from the reception.
I recommend the place for business stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for the time spent reviewing our hotel.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I appreciate as well the feedback about the toiletries, and I will ensure that our housekeeping manager follows up with his team to ensure that all the toiletries are replenished daily according to our standards.
I will also advise the front office manager to keep extra toiletries at the reception in case a guest needs at night.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcome you in the future at The Blowfish Hotel.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Our group hosted an event at the hotel during Social Media Week Lagos. The hotel staff is very warm. friendly and accommodating. Some members of our group stayed at the Blowfish Hotel and really liked the hotel.

The night of our event there was a live Jazz band and a Ladies Night Out by the pool side. There is a verandah overlooking the pool. There is pizza restaurant on the verandah level.

I observed many international hotel guests who were families and business travelers.
The hotel has wireless throughout the hotel. It is strongest in the lobby.

The hotel does not have an address. The map from the hotel brochure is very useful for helping others to find the hotel.

I took a photo of the hotel map and sent it on twitter so that our event participants could find the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear Mme.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.
We were happy to host the event of Social Media Week, and it is good to know that you enjoyed your time.

We look forward to host your events in the years to come.

Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Horrible neighbour, in the middle of a low end area. Messy service, with a major confsusion about the bookiing. Old rooms, with the overal hotel needing an upgrade.
Overall disappointed with the higher price comparing to the international hotel chains

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JoseHenriques
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Mr. Henriques,

Greetings from The Blowfish Hotel Lagos, Nigeria!

I would like to know if you are rating the right hotel or you are intended to write a feedback about another hotel, because as far as I know, our neighborhood is a mix of some European Embassies, Head offices of major banks, some major financial services and some other fine dining restaurants.
With regards to our rooms, our extension is less than 1 year old, and the hotel itself was built in 2009 and renovated in 2012, 6 moth ago.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any inquiries, and if you really stayed at The Blowfish Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria, so I can attend to your complaints.

My email address is walid.elzyr@theblowfishhotel.com

Walid El Zyr.
The Blowfish Hotel.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

The hotel rooms are a bit small but then if you are on a business travel then that should not be worrying at all. The hotel has multiple restaurants and that is a blessing in Nigeria as one does not have to go out and risk life in the evenings looking for a decent place to eat. The pool is one of the best and cleanest I have seen in Nigeria and worth a swim. Room service as per West African standards is good and surprisingly the internet connectivity is not bad either. Overall, a good property to stay in VI.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel!
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to highlight that you must have booked the Level room, which is our standard room.
The size of the Level room is 30sqm.
Our Focus room is 38sqm and it has a nice balcony with wooden table and chairs.
Our Deluxe room is 45sqm and it has a small sitting area and a small dining area for 2.
Our Supreme room is 50sqm and it has as well a sitting area and dining area for 2.

I look forward to welcome you in back soon at our hotel.

Walid.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I love this hotel. Everythin was just perfect. So kind and nice pple takin care of u, always very clean, good airconditioner, Pool side was amazin and always very clean, I loved the Jazz nights every thursday, good food.. like a home. I slept every night like a baby no any noises from outside or in. Everyone were so familiar. I really wanna come back again someday. Thank you for everyone whos workin in this hotel, will remember u always!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Ms. Maria,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Walid.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip. The standard Level room was perfectly adequate, but with a few rough edges, could do with some maintenance, such as the shower curtain falling down whilst showering which happened three times and the remote control for the TV did not work. The A/C unit was also badly positioned and blowing directly onto the bed.
The food was generally good in the main restaurant, including a nice greek menu. I found the food service was pretty poor around the pool area, there were often 2-3 waiters but they were not very attentive or friendly to the guests. The service in the italian restaurant was much better.
The pool was very nice it seemed to me that very few people were using it. Also they have live music on a Thursday night around the pool area which was very good.
One annoying thing was that they do not provide an iron and board for guest use, you must use the hotel laundry service. This is something that european travellers will expect.
Overall an average experience.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are generally quieter
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ads102
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, and likewise for your review about our hotel and services.

We take your comments very seriously, and I already communicated the areas of improvement to the concerned department heads.

The maintenance manager is checking daily and personally all the fixtures in the rooms to ensure all is working and in order.

The service around the pool is already improved, since we hired a new restaurant manager who is re-training all his team, and he will be present with them in the restaurant and the pool at all times.

As for the iron and ironing board, as a boutique hotel, we are unable to provide this for the rooms, and this is why we have our laundry facilities at a very low rate compared to any other hotel in town.

I look forward to welcome you again in the near future at The Blowfish Hotel.
Please feel free to contact me for any further inquiries.
My email address is: walid.elzyr@theblowfishhotel.com

Thank you once again for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel.