“Nice Rooms. Average F&B”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wheatbaker

The Wheatbaker
Ranked #1 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
London
“Nice Rooms. Average F&B”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Lovely Rooms. Food was OK but nothing special. Very expensive but I think this is accross the board in Lagos. Hotel was diffcicult to find for the driver, again maybe not the hotels fault. Had a club sandwich which had large chunks of pork fat rather than Bacon, complained to the waiter but he just didn't seem to know how to respond. Was woken up by sound of TV from neighbours room. Nice little gym, pleasant staff. Not a bad hotel at all but can't give it the same levels of review as others, shame.

1 Thank GHepburn
Dear GHepburn

On behalf of The Wheatbaker team, I wish to extend our sincere thanks for taking the time to provide us with your invaluable and detailed feedback. Whilst we strive to provide only the highest standards of Service to you, our valued Guest, it is only through such observations that we can improve our hospitality.

I have personally addressed the issue of the bacon served to you in our Club sandwich and steps have been taken with suppliers to ensure only the very best quality produce is obtained for all of our Guests. Ongoing training with our team will increase focus on the critical aspect of transforming a negative into a positive!

We hope very much that you will return to us at some stage in the future in order that we may an opportunity to do better. It would be appreciated if you could email me directly should you have plans to do so.

Simon Grindrod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Really nice hotel in a great location. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the Management team are visible at all times to make sure everything runs smoothly. Food in the breakfast area is superb with a fantastic selection. Rooms are to the highest standards and the gym is well equipped.

Would highly recommend to anyone, for business or leisure.

1 Thank Mike Y
Dear Mike Y

Thank you for taking the time to submit your very kind comments which will further motivate The Wheatbaker team to excel in providing only the highest standards of product and Service to valued Guests such as yourself.

I very much hope you will consider returning to The Wheatbaker, Lagos, on your next visit to Nigeria.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

One of the basic requirements travellers when entering a hotel is to feel immediately at ease that one's decision at the outset appears to be the right one. I had the pleasure of having dinner on one of my first nights in Lagos, Nigeria, at the Wheatbaker. After staying at two other hotels in Nigeria, I felt immediately that the hotels group and the GM got it right. I wasn't disappointed when I was asked to move over three nights later. I felt that this property could easily be placed in the category of "One of the best hotels in the world." The mostly Nigerian staff are generally well trained. The relatively new property (perhaps 3 years old) was managed in its development with detail. From the time I arrived at the front desk, a welcoming drink (fresh watermelon juice) was brought to me. The executive size room could be called a junior suite anywhere else. The size of the plasma screen makes it easier to watch and not squint, as in many hotels. The room was virtually spotless. The South African amenities were first class. There's a Nespresso machine. I wonder if George Clooney gets residuals? One minor flaw: the shower drain wasn't well maintained so there was a nice puddle of water outside of the shower. However, that was resolved with a call to the front desk. There are two restaurants: The Grill Room has top of the line international and domestic cuisine and a wonderful wine selection. The deli (coffee shop) is a step above the basics. Food is immaculately prepared. I haven't found anything wrong. Oh dear. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, look out. Legacy Hotels & Resorts has the attention to detail that every guest seeks. And, it's in Lagos. Nirvana.

Room Tip: Facing the pool. You'll not hear a peep and when you open the curtains, there's abundant day...
5 Thank SanBernTravel
Dear HotelSpy 55

The Wheatbaker team are very grateful for your generous assessment of our Hotel, of which we are very proud.

The detailed observations provided by Guests such as yourself go a long way in pushing us all harder to maintain and improve upon providing our Guests with a high quality experience.

I do hope you will return to Lagos someday and please be sure to let me know personally if you should ever have plans to do so.

Thanks again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Excellent hotel, certainly the cleanest and highest standard I have stayed at in Lagos. Room was a good size, very nice bathroom & really quiet. Food in the restaurant & room service were excellent, best hotel food I'd eaten in Lagos. Gym was very good as well, with attentive staff.
I didn't use the pool and did think it was rather exposed, so probably wouldn't. Also I found the bar a little quiet and lacking in atmosphere. This is a drawback compared to the Radisson Blu where the bar is over looking the lagoon, so more vibey and relaxing after a day.
Guess it depends what someone is looking for, the Wheatbaker is the highest standard Hotel in Lagos I've experience, but think I might prefer the Radisson

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank dave2105
Dear Dave 2105

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Wheatbaker, Lagos. We have taken note of your perceptions of our hotel, especially your comments regarding our bar being a little quiet for your taste. As you have noted, each hotel has individual characteristics which appeal to the distinctive needs of each Guest.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would invite you to visit us should you ever be in Lagos again. You will be more than welcome!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I have recently stayed >20 nights in this hotel.
Overall, it is definitely the best hotel in all of Nigeria. I have stayed in multiple 4-5 Star properties in Lagos and Abuja and this newly opened hotel is the only one that has true international 5 Star standard.

Rooms: Rooms are average sized, but with huge bathroom. Everything in perfectly functioning order, clean and high quality (very rare in Western Africa). Bed is amazingly comfortable (close to Westin/W Bed), high quality sheets and bath towels.

Food: Rooms service and restaurants are the best hotel food I have eaten so far in West Africa.

Service: training of staff is excellent for African standards and I can say definitely the best I have seen in Nigeria so far. The only hotel I know in Nigeria with this high standard. Though still some issues for check-in/check-out/reservation/billing, which might be due to the fact that the hotel is new.

Facilities: Pool is very exposed, so everyone is watching you when you're in the pool. However, very well maintained. Lobby bar is small, but cosy with very attentive service. Gym has newest equipment and a pleasant atmosphere.

Overall: If you stay in Lagos, go to The Wheatbaker. It beats Radisson Blu, Federal Palace, Four Points and others easily.

I am staying typically 150+ nights per year in 5 Star properties around the world, for business and leisure.
I am also a VIP member of many of the established hotel loyalty programs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank MUCTraveller
Dear MUCTraveller

The Wheatbaker team were thrilled to receive your comments on your stay with us and they are much appreciated, especially given your extensive experience of hotels around the world and your reviews thereof.

Such encouragement makes our passion to excel even greater and we promise to always strive to maintain and improve upon the standards we offer.

We have noted in particular your observations regarding the need for further attention to be paid to give our Guests a smoother Front Desk experience in terms of Reservations and Billing. We shall do so.

Once again, many thanks and we hope to welcome you back soon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I recently stayed at The Wheatbaker during a business trip to Lagos. The hotel was smart, clean and the staff were extremely helpful and accomodating. The food at the Deli and The Grill Room was excellent and the pool and bar area provides a very pleasant setting for meetings or when relaxing in the evening. The rooms in the hotel are very stylish and comfortable and the showers are amazing! Altogether I really enjoyed my stay at The Wheatbaker and would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Lagos.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank LEHLondon
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear LEHLondon

Thank you for taking the time to provide invaluable feedback on your recent stay at The Wheatbaker.

The entire team take huge encouragement from your positive impressions of the hotel we are extremely proud of.

We hope to welcome you back to Lagos soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have stayed in countless number of Hotels in Nigeria, especially Lagos, over the pas 5 years and I am so excited to report that at last there is a world class Hotel in Lagos.
Small enough to care about their guests, which is a welcome change from the oversized hotels in Lagos.
When next in Nigeria make sure you book your stay at The Wheatbaker. You will be impressed.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank DJBGamingGuy
Dear DJB_Bet2Win

Thank you very much for your review of The Wheatbaker. It is good to know that you had an enjoyable stay. We will continuously strive to maintain our Standard in order that we may continue to attract valued Guests such as yourself.

We are very aware that we are only a good as our last performance!