“Certainly 4.5 Star”

Ranked #1 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria
“Certainly 4.5 Star”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at the Wheatbaker Hotel in Lagos for 2 nights in July 2012 and I must say that what I had heard about the hotel were true.

The Hotel is situated in old Ikoyi on the island and I must say it is one of the best finished and well run hotels I have stayed at and visited in Nigeria. The rooms are well laid out, the gym well equipped, variety of places to sit and have a drink as well as fairly good food.

I was on a busines workshop and I must say that we were overfeed. The conference facilities were great. all areas I visited in the hotel were very clean while the staff were very efficient and polite. I enjoyed the little celebration they had the night the Olympics started. Would have been more fun if there were more people but it is not a rowdy hotel and I like that fact.

If you are on business or a holiday in Lagos, I highly recommend the Wheatbaker. It is not cheap but considering the state of its facilities, it is very good compared to a number of hotels in the neirgbourhood.

I will certainly be visiting during a short holiday break with the family.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the swimming pool. Better than looking into another compound.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Dupri00
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Dupri00

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your observations following your recent stay with us.

The Wheatbaker team and I are delighted that you found our product and service to be worthy of your very encouraging remarks. We will strive further to improve and look forward to welcoming you back.

Simon Grindrod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The Wheatbaker

On previous trips I only used the hotel for its facilities: the deli, the restaurant and the gym/steam-room; all of which are a real pleasure and a great experience.

The staff are friendly and the general manager, very personable and extremely professional!

The Wheatbaker truly sap-passed itself: clearly the best value for money, with clean fast and reliable service. The rooms were clean, airy and well designed. The bed was comfortable (perhaps too comfortable, if you know what I mean Sophie!).

The sheets were clean, starched and ironed. The bathroom was spacious, with a bath and shower facility and an endless supply of products (shampoos etc..). The internet was fast. The power was reliable, with a (no-noise) generator kicking in when Nepa failed! The TV actually worked with more channels and there was better reception than I'd had at other hotels. The mini-bar was well stocked, and wow, a real-coffee machine, what a delight! The cupboard space was plentiful and the safe worked..

The other facilities are also have extremely high standards and the staff some of the most competent to date.. (they are all NEW to the hotel industry, trained from scratch) what a pleasure being looked after by the family-run-style hotel, where nothing is too much or above and beyond anyones reaches.

I HIGHLY recommend it, please just make sure these is a room for me when I next want to go!

Dear INTBUSINESSMAN

On behalf of The Wheatbaker Team, I thank you for your your feedback following a recent stay with us.

Your input is invaluable is helping us understand where we are getting it right, and wrong, and detail such as you have provided will be discussed with the management and staff.

Rest assured, we will always try to have a room ready should you choose to stay with us again in the future!

paris
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I have stayed in a variety of so called 5 star hotels in Lagos on business trips and this is by far the best.
It is a modern hotel in an exclusive location.
It is safe, clean and well maintained. Service is also impressive especially at reception, I found the team consistent and efficient.
The breakfast buffet is incredible with a great selection of both local and International delicacies.
Although it is quite expensive, it does however live up to expectations unlike lots of other hotels in Lagos with similar rates.
Overall, this hotel is well managed.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definitely return.

2 Thank montage2000
, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Montage 2000

Thank you very much for your feedback which encourages our team to maintain and improve the standard of service provided to valued Guests such as yourself.

We hope to welcome you back to The Wheatbaker, Lagos, soon.

London
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Lovely Rooms. Food was OK but nothing special. Very expensive but I think this is accross the board in Lagos. Hotel was diffcicult to find for the driver, again maybe not the hotels fault. Had a club sandwich which had large chunks of pork fat rather than Bacon, complained to the waiter but he just didn't seem to know how to respond. Was woken up by sound of TV from neighbours room. Nice little gym, pleasant staff. Not a bad hotel at all but can't give it the same levels of review as others, shame.

1 Thank GHepburn
Dear GHepburn

On behalf of The Wheatbaker team, I wish to extend our sincere thanks for taking the time to provide us with your invaluable and detailed feedback. Whilst we strive to provide only the highest standards of Service to you, our valued Guest, it is only through such observations that we can improve our hospitality.

I have personally addressed the issue of the bacon served to you in our Club sandwich and steps have been taken with suppliers to ensure only the very best quality produce is obtained for all of our Guests. Ongoing training with our team will increase focus on the critical aspect of transforming a negative into a positive!

We hope very much that you will return to us at some stage in the future in order that we may an opportunity to do better. It would be appreciated if you could email me directly should you have plans to do so.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Really nice hotel in a great location. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the Management team are visible at all times to make sure everything runs smoothly. Food in the breakfast area is superb with a fantastic selection. Rooms are to the highest standards and the gym is well equipped.

Would highly recommend to anyone, for business or leisure.

1 Thank Mike Y
Dear Mike Y

Thank you for taking the time to submit your very kind comments which will further motivate The Wheatbaker team to excel in providing only the highest standards of product and Service to valued Guests such as yourself.

I very much hope you will consider returning to The Wheatbaker, Lagos, on your next visit to Nigeria.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 June 2012

One of the basic requirements travellers when entering a hotel is to feel immediately at ease that one's decision at the outset appears to be the right one. I had the pleasure of having dinner on one of my first nights in Lagos, Nigeria, at the Wheatbaker. After staying at two other hotels in Nigeria, I felt immediately that the hotels group and the GM got it right. I wasn't disappointed when I was asked to move over three nights later. I felt that this property could easily be placed in the category of "One of the best hotels in the world." The mostly Nigerian staff are generally well trained. The relatively new property (perhaps 3 years old) was managed in its development with detail. From the time I arrived at the front desk, a welcoming drink (fresh watermelon juice) was brought to me. The executive size room could be called a junior suite anywhere else. The size of the plasma screen makes it easier to watch and not squint, as in many hotels. The room was virtually spotless. The South African amenities were first class. There's a Nespresso machine. I wonder if George Clooney gets residuals? One minor flaw: the shower drain wasn't well maintained so there was a nice puddle of water outside of the shower. However, that was resolved with a call to the front desk. There are two restaurants: The Grill Room has top of the line international and domestic cuisine and a wonderful wine selection. The deli (coffee shop) is a step above the basics. Food is immaculately prepared. I haven't found anything wrong. Oh dear. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, look out. Legacy Hotels & Resorts has the attention to detail that every guest seeks. And, it's in Lagos. Nirvana.

Room Tip: Facing the pool. You'll not hear a peep and when you open the curtains, there's abundant day...
5 Thank SanBernTravel
Dear HotelSpy 55

The Wheatbaker team are very grateful for your generous assessment of our Hotel, of which we are very proud.

The detailed observations provided by Guests such as yourself go a long way in pushing us all harder to maintain and improve upon providing our Guests with a high quality experience.

I do hope you will return to Lagos someday and please be sure to let me know personally if you should ever have plans to do so.

Thanks again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Excellent hotel, certainly the cleanest and highest standard I have stayed at in Lagos. Room was a good size, very nice bathroom & really quiet. Food in the restaurant & room service were excellent, best hotel food I'd eaten in Lagos. Gym was very good as well, with attentive staff.
I didn't use the pool and did think it was rather exposed, so probably wouldn't. Also I found the bar a little quiet and lacking in atmosphere. This is a drawback compared to the Radisson Blu where the bar is over looking the lagoon, so more vibey and relaxing after a day.
Guess it depends what someone is looking for, the Wheatbaker is the highest standard Hotel in Lagos I've experience, but think I might prefer the Radisson

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank dave2105
Dear Dave 2105

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Wheatbaker, Lagos. We have taken note of your perceptions of our hotel, especially your comments regarding our bar being a little quiet for your taste. As you have noted, each hotel has individual characteristics which appeal to the distinctive needs of each Guest.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would invite you to visit us should you ever be in Lagos again. You will be more than welcome!