“perfect place to stay!”
Review of The Wheatbaker

The Wheatbaker
Ranked #1 of 138 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Having travelled all over the world and experiencing different hotels, this was my first visit to lagos Nigeria and stayed at The Wheatbaker for a week, my trip was business and for pleasure ,the service and staff were incredible and made me feel at home and no request was to big for them, always a smiling helpful on the ball manager at all times.My room was big,clean and modern with a huge bathroom and walk in shower, with quick dry cleaning services aswell.The Food was divine from the local cuisine to every type i felt like it was provided for, from breakfast lunch or dinner!. and after a long day it was great to sit outside at the pool and have a drink and snacks and just relax. i highly recommend this hotel and will be staying there again in december when i travel again .ZW

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Zan W

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

The team and I are grateful for your comments which are invaluable in helping us maintain and improve our offering to all our valued Guests.

Once again, many thanks and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Where do you start describing this hotel....having been a fan of the Radisson BLU for a long time, the Wheatbaker is a real jewel in the crown in Lagos, if not Nigeria. In all the hotels I have stayed in Nigeria, I have never met nor seen the senior management so visible. The guys were constantly doing the rounds, checking if meals or drinks were ok, checking on you as an individual as well. Also, I had a colleague who needed and extended stay and recption could not guarantee the room, however, I mentioned this to Simon (the GM) and within 20 minutes it was resolved and a room guaranteed - excellent & exceptional personal service.

The check in was a doddle, fast and efficient and a smoking room assigned as requested.
Room
Very large room and has all the essentials built in. Flat screen LCD TV. Large wardrobe with lots of cost hangers. Ironing board, fridge/mini bar, proper krupps coffee maker. Reference the minibar, for some bizarre reason I had a bottle of wine on my first night and another on my second night, but they were never replaced. Not a real issue for me as I had a full bottle from the bar most other nights.
The large work desk had lots of sockets all of which were UK 3 pin.
Large windows that are easy to open and get fresh air into the room. Bed was gigantically large and extremely comfortable. A good sound sleep was had every night. Good lighting and switches in all the right places.
Bathroom
Spacious is the best description and very functional. A powerful shower and easy to control the temperature to suit, instantly.
Pool & bar
There is lovely small pool inside the hotel with a handful of beds plus seating and tables.
The poolside waiters and waitresses and barman are great, very attentive and quick to serve when you sit down. Great South African wines to choose from.
great Coffee is served by the poolside and you always get a nice selection of free olives, and variety of nuts & nibbles
Breakfast
Buffet breakfast everyday until 1030. Always a big selection of cold cuts, cheeses, fruit, cereals, hot dishes (both Nigerian and European), fresh juices and a chef who makes up food to order like omlettes, fried eggs etc.
Coffee is fresh and proper, no instant stuff here.
Buffet Dinner
Served in the poolside restaurant as well, the buffet is really well stocked and has various soup choices, 20 or so hot dishes and a massive selection of sweets and cheeses. Maybe a little expensive compared to other high quality hotels but you get what you pay for in Ikoyi.
The Grillroom
The restaurant is amazing and dare I say much superior to the Sky Restaurant. There were 12 in our party for dinner and every detail was covered by this restaurant from the moment you walk in until you depart. I wont go into detail on the menu but needless to say the Wheatbaker has got something for everyone and then some. The Steaks and fish mains were all well received. The fillet steaks were monsters, by UK standards (a good 10 - 12oz). Lagoon prawns the size of lobsters.
Despite the prices, the restaurant was full every-time we visited (with non residents as well) which shows this restaurant has got it just right. By the way, the waiting staff were attentive and professional at all times, without being too over powering and hovering.
Outside the Grillroom is an outdoor section for sitting to have coffees or drinks after the meal.
An expensive place to stay but as I stated earlier, you get what you pay for. A real peaceful haven in the middle of Ikoyi and no need to eat out of the hotel as the food is beyond belief and you will never get bored with the choices available.
The management and staff are a real asset to this hotel

Room Tip: lower floor is better to avoid waiting for lift
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Nigel R
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Wynrol

On behalf of the team here at The Wheatbaker, I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are very proud and pleased that you found our service and facilities to be satisfactory and certainly your observations make us strive harder to maintain and improve our offering.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again should you visit Lagos in the future.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have stayed at this hotel. But I took my wife on date night to its restaurant recently. Now, my wife is a person exceptional taste and, naturally, I follow her lead. So here we were at this restaurant, expecting the usual letdown one would find at almost all Nigerian outfits with such hype. Well, let's say...they blew us away, quite literally! So, if you're looking for a swanky place with the right ambience and surprisingly good food, try this hotel's restaurant. The staff are quite polite and fawning, too. I'd just suggest that more works of art be put on the walls (ref: the Golden Tulip), I'm just saying!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank GodsonUgo

Dear GodsonUgo

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent visit to The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

We are very grateful for the observations you have taken the time to contribute.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was fortunate to have been booked in at the Wheatbaker for two nights earlier in the month and was truly impressed about the ambience of the hotel and the excellent service from the staff.

Check-in was seamless and couldnt but notice the sense of urgency amongst all the staff and managers alike. Room service often time the achilles of most hotels around the world was breezy.

The rooms are tastily furnished and very modern decor styled. Breakfast at Deli Restaurant was an experience. True value for money in a very expensive Lagos.

I definitely will be visiting with my family soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Deinde P

Thank you for your very kind comments made during your recent visit to The Wheatbaker.

Your encouraging observations further inspire us to maintain and improve our service offering to all of our valued Guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I really enjoyed myself when last I was in Lagos at the wheatbaker Hotels.Just looking a place to have nice lunch with my friends.The location is perfect for a five star rated hotel unlike other Lagos holes along very busy and noisy environment.
The buffet lunch was perfect unlike my previous experiences in some lagos & Abuja hotels.The food was very fresh and tasty.You can't ask for more!
I hope to visit again and again with family hopefully during my vacation period.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Mr Stubbings

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

We are grateful for both your patronage and your valuable observations. Please be assured that we will strive to maintain and improve our Service.

Please consider yourself a valued Guest and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Did not stay but passed by here for breakfast which was a very pleasant experience. Usual array of buffet items -cereals, pastries, salady things, fresh fruit plus chef to cook you omelettes and other eggy type dishes. Omelette very good and my companion said that the sausages were brilliant - best in Nigeria. Service attentive. Also included in the price were any speciality teas or coffees of your choosing. Dining area/seating not as plush as it could be but still very relaxing and a good atmosphere prevails. Good value too for Lagos.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank grahamstubbings

Dear GrahamStubbings

Thank you very much for your very detailed and useful review of our Hotel following your recent stay with us. We rely very heavily on feedback from Guests such as yourself, especially given your wide travels and experience evidenced by your reviewer status.

The Wheatbaker team and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in countless number of Hotels in Nigeria, especially Lagos, over the pas 5 years and I am so excited to report that at last there is a world class Hotel in Lagos.
Small enough to care about their guests, which is a welcome change from the oversized hotels in Lagos.
When next in Nigeria make sure you book your stay at The Wheatbaker. You will be impressed.

• Stayed: March 2012
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear DJB_Bet2Win

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

The team and I are very pleased that you have found us still to be of the standard you expect.

Please consider yourself a very valued Guest and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards