“Signs of improvement”

InterContinental Lagos
Ranked #9 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Per my last review of this hotel is was not well managed and had a number of service issues. In the interests of being fair I have decided to provide and updated review.
There is a clear effort being taken by the management team to improve. Service levels are significantly improved and the staff appear to have been trained. The staff are also a lot more eager to please which goes a long way to resolving issues.
Sadly there are still some problems that still make the hotel average: Outrageous cost of breakfast ($37), aircon unit in my room not working properly and bar fridge being locked (bit pointless having a bar fridge if the guest cannot enjoy the contents). I am not sure of the set-up of the lifts but they sometimes take a long time to collect you. There are 4 lifts but only 3 ever seem to work (lift C seems to merely be a facade as I have never seen it operate).
By Lagos standards it is a good hotel but by global standards there is much room for improvement.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IntercontinentalLag, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear BigWilly

Thank you for taking the time to compose a review following your stay. We appreciate you also providing an update to your earlier review, we are quite pleased you saw an improvement on your earlier feedback. I will be sure to share your comments about the significant improvement in service with the rest of the team.

I do apologize that you however experienced some difficulties during the course of your current stay, your comments have been shared with the management team, and necessary actions will be taken to ensure you see an improvement on your next visit.

Thank you for choosing to continue staying with us, we truly value you and look forward to the pleasure of serving you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

First time to Nigeria and a little concerned about accomodation. Being a platinum card holder for IHG I naturally went to the Intercon and despite being a little cautious after reading some other reviews I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was easily on a par with any other new Intercon and I found the check-in and service generally to be execellent. Ate in both the Chinese and Italian restaurants and again was very happy with the quality.
The hotel is a little expensive but that is a reflection on Lagos rather than the hotel itself, lets face it no-one is there on holiday and being an oil town all the good quality hotels charge a high rate. Would definately recommend to others.

Dear TonyMor

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay with us. We are truly thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your comments about our rooms, restaurant and service. Creating memorable experiences is what we strive for and it is quite rewarding to know we got it right with you, particularly being a Platinum Elite member.

Thank you once again for making InterContinental your preferred choice and for being our most Loyal guest. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

That was my 2nd trip to Lagos. I liked this stay better than previous one. Expect all the standard issues with water and occasional electricity cut off (really minor ones). There is only 1 non-standard thing that I would probably call out as an unnecessary inconvenience is on top of not-that-quick check-out experience the staff really pushed me to submit some kind of survey claiming this is GM's scorecard. I understand importance of it and really tried to help, but seriously there should be better tools (like TripAdvisor) and better time (not when someone is running for a meeting and knowing the traffic is *Lagos* type of traffic)

Dear Renatmin

Thank you for being kind enough to provide us with feedback about your stay. We are glad to read you liked your stay better than the previous, as this shows how important your feedback is in ensuring your stay experience is an excellent one.

We appreciate your feedback about the inconvenience of giving written feedback at the point of check out. We will review our current processes to ensure it does not impact our guests experience adversely. Thank you for returning to us, we truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a big hotel, with large and comfortable rooms. The entrance hall is huge and sparkly and there are a number of restaurants (Chinese, Italian, International cuisine) in the hotel itself. We tried them all and found the food very good. It also feels reasonably safe.

Personally, I found the service quite patchy. When I checked in, my room was not cleaned. This left a sour taste. The modern lifts are quite inefficient and at times, the waiting time is long.

You are not going wrong when booking this hotel, but it won't be a memorable stay either. There are better options in Lagos.

1  Thank KarinGlobal

Dear Karin

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback following your stay with us. We always welcome guest comments as it helps us know if we are on track.

We appreciate your kind comments about our rooms and restaurants, particularly pleased to learn you enjoyed our food. However I do regret that we did not make your stay a memorable one , contrary to our intentions as InterContinental. We truly value you, so your comments go along way in ensuring we consistently offer the superior service we are known for.

We truly appreciate you staying with us and I will be delighted to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Going to Lagos, wanted a nice hotel with strong security. Here they check all cars coming in and the elevators are controlled by employees. They have security people walking the floors. The hotel itself is very nice. Expensive but an excellent option.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Rick H,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip advisor.

We would like to thank you for your kind words of praise which will be shared with the team. We were also pleased to read about the security feedback which I have shared with the team. Our main goal is to ensure that you have a comfortable and memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

InterContinental Lagos

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My initial brief was to stay somewhere that was safe and secure. From the minute you enter through the security gates you feel a sense of security. So I was pleasantly surprised at the standard. The rooms are amazing with modern bathrooms including separate shower and bath (no sliding around in the bath while trying to take a shower). The gym is modern and if you are not in a rush you can have a full workout on almost everything you could wish for. The only downside is the price of meals and beverages. A coke costs 750 Naira (roughly 5 USD or R50). A not so great Pizza about 3500 Naira (21 USD or R250). So a bit of a rip off. Bring your own supplies. The staff are very friendly and polite but if you are used to things being done immediately you will have a problem. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Kirsten B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as one of our guests.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the rooms, gym and the level of security. We have noted your highlights regarding the pricing of the food items and service speed and will ensure this is discussed with the team as an improvement touch point.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future to the InterContinental Lagos.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I cant discuss the rooms because I didnt stay over. I have had sessions severally at this hotel. the meeting rooms are of good standard. I liked the food - so much variety including tasty Nigerian meals.

But there's something unwelcoming about the lounge. Perhaps it's the 'very bare open' nature of the place. I cant relax there. And I felt same way at the bar. Perhaps it's just not my style - has nothing to do with their failure.

Overall, it is a decent place to host events, lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Victor O,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on the InterContinental Lagos.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your meeting with us and the meals at the hotel, but regret to note that you found the lounge bare and open. We are truly committed to ensure satisfaction of all our guests and mostly of our loyal members and we have taken note of the comments and please rest assured that the feedback has been communicated to the appropriate department for needed implementation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Lagos in the near future.

Best Regards,