“Nice hotel with some teehthing problems”

InterContinental Lagos
Ranked #10 of 134 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is spacious and grand, and in a good location. If you're looking for "posh" this is the best in town. The staff are friendly and professional. The wifi in the room was fast and efficient. The gym is well equipped. The room bar is well stocked. The Cable TV has quite a good selection even for international standards. The buffet food in the Ekaabor restaurant ranges from very good to quite good to fair. The salad bar was disappointing-the vegetables did not seem fresh; nor the cheese selection, some of which seemed stale- but the Nigerian cuisine is good and some of the continental cuisine is also very good. The range of food is limited for a luxury hotel of international standards but good for Nigeria and on par with other top tier hotels in Nigeria. The desert range is good to fair. The only buffet on the weekends is a combined Chinese and Italian buffet but the range of food provided was very limited. The following additional problems were encountered: a) poor air conditioning. I was meant to be able to set the room temperature down to 10 degrees but the thermostat did not function well . I called room service; someone came and opened part of the ceiling in my room and began to remove excess water from the air-condition shaft with a bucket. The functioning of the AC improved, but the problem was not solved. I complained and the Chief Engineer -Emeka Stanley Eze-came to my room to try and resolve it. However the problem continued and the very lowest I could get the air-conditioner was to 19 degrees which was insufficient in the Lagos heat. On average it stayed at 21 degrees. I couldn't sleep well on most nights. Clearly the air-conditioning system has a flaw and needs to be fixed. I would have expected better for the exhorbitant price of this hotel; b)There was a problem with the electrical connections in my room. The hotel key has a slot within the room to place the key which then triggers the electricity coming on. However sometimes the electricity went out and I could only regain it by adjusting the card to maintain the supply. In addition, there were frequent power failures. This is a problem in Nigeria generally and not necessarily the fault of the hotel. However, although the hotel-as in most good hotels in Nigeria-has a generator- it's not clear why the hotel of this size does not have a generator that automatically kicks in so that there is no break in the continuous supply of power; c) The bathroom has a completely see through glass wall that separates the bedroom and the bathroom. I do not know why, if they wanted to be stylish, they simply did not use frosted glass. If you have guests-as I did- this poses a problem. Although blinds are provided, remarkably, the blinds, too are see through; d) The room was not sufficiently clean on arrival for a luxury hotel particularly of the ICH brand. There was dust on the skirting boards. The upholstered stool had a significant coffee stain on it-not what I would have expected at all in a luxury hotel; e) the swimming pool is isolated and hardly anyone uses it. They tried to be clever by situating it on the 5th floor. However, the tiles are slippery and the edges on the steps leading to the pool are too sharp; I slipped and grazed myself. All in all, it's a nice hotel that needs improvement but currently overcharges for what it is able to provide. If the teething problems are seen to, this could really become a great hotel. However, it still has some way to go to achieve luxury status. I do not think it has yet reached luxury status in the true sense. A real luxury hotel, of the types I have stayed in in Dubai or elsewhere, would outclass this hotel by some margin .

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor possible away from the lifts
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Altine451
ICLagos, General Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Altine451,

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed feedback following your stay.

We were pleased to receive your comments about your stay and happy that you enjoyed the staff service, rooms and internet and we value your comments as it is our best resource to ensuring we are providing the superior service we are known for. Our team is committed in ensuring that each guest has a wonderful experience with us. I have also noted your feedback on the food quality and maintenance issues that you encountered. Please rest assured that the team is actively working to attend to the issues that were raised.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, we look for to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Karl Hala,

Regional General Manager - Africa

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel has got a bubbly reception area and the front desk staff are very friendly. The rooms are comfortable. The food is excellent!
The spa massage treatment very relaxing .
The rooms with the waterfront are a view in the mornings!
The hallway did have a pungent damp smell But I noticed this was just on my floor!oh well !

Stayed: May 2014
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Feigne,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback based on your experience at our establishment.

It is great to hear the positive response regarding the friendliness of our front desk team members, rest assured this has been noted and communicated in appreciation.

The information on the condition of freshness of the floor you were on has also been noted as positive feedback to assist us in further ensuring that potential problem areas are resolved.

Once again thank you for the time taken to convey your valuable feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With Best Regards,

Kevin Kamau

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The ICH is a nice hotel which is basically all there is. It's clean and bright. Beds are comfortable. I didn't have a chance to order lunches or dinners whilst there however if you're a scrambled egg lover for brekkie don't bother !On the 3 counts I ordered they didnt get it right.;)
It is expensive I agree with most other reviewers but hey ! Lagos is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities in the world without reasonable value for service, customer or otherwise......

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Feigne

Dear Feigne,

Greetings once again,

You truly are a source of support to the hospitality industry.

I realize you have taken more of your valued time to give us more feedback, and as always this is highly welcome and appreciated.

With regards to the culinary experience, it’s our sincere apology that there was a recurrence in delivery of expectation and measures will be put in place that below standards in product delivery are averted.

Thank you once again for the feedback as our esteemed and valued guest.

Kind regards,

Kevin Kamau

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for four nights and found it to cover all the basic needs. It's a new hotel which still has some teething troubles over power in particular. The rooms are very spacious and well designed in my view. The decor is functional rather than designed to be welcoming and as a result the bars and restaurants lack real character or personality. The lobby is enormous but the standard of finishings generally are more impressive in scale than quality. The food was pretty good, if expensive as one would expect. There is a fifth floor terrace bar which is nice in the evenings but if it rains it doesn't leave many good options for a hotel of its scale. Quite nice outdoor pool and decent sized gym.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Segaria 226,

Greetings from Intercontinental Lagos,

Thank you for choosing our establishment as your home away from home during the recent visit.

I note with appreciation the feedback you have conveyed and notably on our Food and Beverage outlet experience.

Indeed it is work in progress and your feedback assists in identifying areas that call for quick fixes to ensure the overall experience of our valued guests, you included are met.

As we strive to take the improvement journey, we are glad you are part of our success drive contributors who are assisting us in maintaining winning areas and improving on need areas.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Kamau,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This Hotel is just EXCELLENT!

Rooms are confortable, clean, big and great bathroom. Bed a dream come true. You can really rest on that mattress.

Good location close to everything but get ready to get a huge cue if you are coming from the airport in the morning (around two hours an a half) or if you are leaving Victoria Island in the evening. Lagos has one of the worst traffick jams that I ever saw in my life

GYM is amazing, well equipments, lot of machines, fresh water available and good swimming pool as well

Very good service at the business center (they will print your boarding pass with an smille)
Great service as well at the concierge center. Jerry is someone to be promotted very soon :), Fast and great service from thgis guy

The bad:

Don´t bother to send emails to the email that appears at the Intercontinental official syte. I´ve sent at least three (requesting taxi for example upon my arrival and I never got any reply back)

The worst: The restaurant serice: Let me explain that:
They have a menu list in every restaurant at the hotel. If you try to get a sandwich in the lobby level the waiter will come back (ten minutes later) offering you to go some other place in the hotel since they don´t really offer sandwiches and they need to go themselves to another other level to collect the order...! OK, so you go to the fith level and order a panini (Which is in the menu!), well, 20 minutes later the waiter arrives telling me that the panini is not cooked at that level and since they need to get it from some other restaurant within the hotel it will take too long!, finally I decided to have a chcicken burger which arrives 30 minutes later.
Hello Restaurant manager!!! something has to be done on that, don´t you agree

In any case ...I will choose once again this hotel in my next visit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Zaynab872015, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Dear Jos8Toledo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit such a detailed review.

We endeavor to provide you with the highest standards of hospitality, and I am very happy to learn that our services, facilities were up to your expectations and that you enjoy staying with us

We appreciate your constructive feedback concerning the restaurant services, internet strength, rest assured that we are working on improving the areas that have been pointed out.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the InterContinental Lagos soon.

Karl Hala
Regional General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in a number of hotels in Lagos and I can say that this is the best. Yes there are a few issues like the water being warm not hot and tv not working but thanks to Tope at the front this was solved. Still best hotel in Lagos hands down!! Service was good. Can speed up the check out but not to bad, IHG membership well recognized. I can certainly recommend this hotel

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Lowell C ,

Greetings from Lagos,

Thank you for the communication regarding your recent stay in our establishment.

I am pleased to know that Tope went a mile in ensuring that any source of potential discomfort during your stay was mitigated to your satisfaction.

I also take this opportunity to thank you as one of our loyal guests being a member of the IHG rewards program and assure you that we are aiming higher through every feedback we receive from our valued members.

I look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Best regards,

Kevin Kamau,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Intercontinental Hotel's Milano Restaurant served me the worst Italian meal of my life. The hotel advertises the chef is from Italy. Please don't be telling the truth. The pasta was way undercooked dried pasta and the tomato sauce was tasteless.

The hotel is behind barbed wire and big walls and armed guards who allow only one car at a time to enter the grounds and unload or load--because of heavy security concerns. It is one of the main hotels in Lagos for white oil workers

Tip, if you suffer from vertigo, don't let yourself be seated by the railing overlooking the lobby. It's along way down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
ICLagos, General Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear ‘Smartlight 9’

Thank you for your recent visit to the Italian Restaurant.

We strive to accommodate all our guests and needs and provide the best dining experience and it is troubling to read that we were unable to do this during your visit to us. We have taken note of your comments, and as this is certainly not to the usual high standards of service we provide our guests, we will ensure this does not happen again.

We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Please rest assured that We take the feedback very seriously, and we will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to give you a different dining experience.

Best Regards,