“Good choice”

InterContinental Lagos
Ranked #9 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Intercontinental for two nights. First time - I frequented other hotels in Lagos before. The rooms are spacious. Choose room on south side it is less noisy. The only complaint is snail mail - slow wifi connectivity. There are 3 restaurants on the premises. I ate at chinese and main restaurant. The breakfast is advertised for 06:00 - go later they are not ready that early.

Stayed: August 2014
ICLagos, General Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear “Marius Schoeman”

Thank your recent stay at the InterContinental Lagos and for taking time to review us on trip advisor.

We are happy to read your review and note that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed many aspects of the hotel. We work very hard to ensure our service and facilities are up to our guests expectations and is good to see it reflected on your experience. I have also noted your feedback on the Internet and the restaurant opening hours. Please rest assured that we will look into these two areas.

We look forward to your next stay and to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Lagos

Karl Hala
Regional General Manager – Africa
InterContinental Hotels Group

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Its new, ticks off the list of everything a 5 star hotel requires but it is FAR from being a 5 star hotel. Its too HARD, feels like an office building . Software just isn't there. Room smells , think the bedsheets are not dried properly . Floors in the bedroom are big white tiles! Its like walking around a shopping mall. Shower foam smells weird. Bar is a JOKE. Breakfast is passable but more like what you find at a 4 star hotel. I wont come back.

Makes you realise its not just the brand but the owners of the hotel really matters.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank treetop193
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear 'treetop 193’,

I would to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

We work hard to ensure our guests receive a superior stay and service experience with matching facilities as an InterContinental Hotel. Unfortunately, it seems that we fell below your expectations this time. We take your feedback very seriously and I will be in contact with your privately to understand in detail how we could change your experience on your return visit.

I look forward to speaking with you and enhancing your return experience.

Executive Assistant Manager,

InterContinental Lagos.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not staying at the Wheatbaker was at first worrying. As I had come to believe The WHeatbaker was the only place I wanted to stay in Lagos EVER!

But I was more than Pleasantly surprised by the service, food quality, & amenities (facilities) that The Intercon on Victoria Island Had to offer.

Things that impressed me:
- An AWESOME Swimming Pool
- A ridiculous amount of Rooms
- THE BEST HOTEL GYM IN AFRICA (other than The Colosseum in Dar Es Salaam)
- 4 Restaurants & Bars to choose from, with a great standard
- The Staff, The Rooms & The Service
- In-Room Service (Room DIning, Movies for Hire

Things I would change:
- Bacon & Pork Sausages
- Confectioneries (Croissants, Bread Products, etc.)
- Air-Conditioner [got mildly cold but not the way I like it - VERY COLD]
- The Shower Temperatures were never consistent, some times they were ridiculously hot

Generally one of the best balanced Hotels I've stayed at in Africa!!!

I would most certainly stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Moorzinio
ICLagos, General Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Moorzino,

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed feedback following your stay.

We were pleased to receive your comments about your stay. We value your comments as it is our best resource to ensuring we are providing the superior service InterContinental is known for. We were pleased that we were able to leave a lasting impression on you, with our rooms, restaurants and recreational facilities. Its comments like yours that inspire us to continue to strive to do more. We have also taken note of the constructive feedback during your stay and please rest assured that this will be attended to.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, we look for to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Karl Hala,

Regional General Manager - Africa

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is spacious and grand, and in a good location. If you're looking for "posh" this is the best in town. The staff are friendly and professional. The wifi in the room was fast and efficient. The gym is well equipped. The room bar is well stocked. The Cable TV has quite a good selection even for international standards. The buffet food in the Ekaabor restaurant ranges from very good to quite good to fair. The salad bar was disappointing-the vegetables did not seem fresh; nor the cheese selection, some of which seemed stale- but the Nigerian cuisine is good and some of the continental cuisine is also very good. The range of food is limited for a luxury hotel of international standards but good for Nigeria and on par with other top tier hotels in Nigeria. The desert range is good to fair. The only buffet on the weekends is a combined Chinese and Italian buffet but the range of food provided was very limited. The following additional problems were encountered: a) poor air conditioning. I was meant to be able to set the room temperature down to 10 degrees but the thermostat did not function well . I called room service; someone came and opened part of the ceiling in my room and began to remove excess water from the air-condition shaft with a bucket. The functioning of the AC improved, but the problem was not solved. I complained and the Chief Engineer -Emeka Stanley Eze-came to my room to try and resolve it. However the problem continued and the very lowest I could get the air-conditioner was to 19 degrees which was insufficient in the Lagos heat. On average it stayed at 21 degrees. I couldn't sleep well on most nights. Clearly the air-conditioning system has a flaw and needs to be fixed. I would have expected better for the exhorbitant price of this hotel; b)There was a problem with the electrical connections in my room. The hotel key has a slot within the room to place the key which then triggers the electricity coming on. However sometimes the electricity went out and I could only regain it by adjusting the card to maintain the supply. In addition, there were frequent power failures. This is a problem in Nigeria generally and not necessarily the fault of the hotel. However, although the hotel-as in most good hotels in Nigeria-has a generator- it's not clear why the hotel of this size does not have a generator that automatically kicks in so that there is no break in the continuous supply of power; c) The bathroom has a completely see through glass wall that separates the bedroom and the bathroom. I do not know why, if they wanted to be stylish, they simply did not use frosted glass. If you have guests-as I did- this poses a problem. Although blinds are provided, remarkably, the blinds, too are see through; d) The room was not sufficiently clean on arrival for a luxury hotel particularly of the ICH brand. There was dust on the skirting boards. The upholstered stool had a significant coffee stain on it-not what I would have expected at all in a luxury hotel; e) the swimming pool is isolated and hardly anyone uses it. They tried to be clever by situating it on the 5th floor. However, the tiles are slippery and the edges on the steps leading to the pool are too sharp; I slipped and grazed myself. All in all, it's a nice hotel that needs improvement but currently overcharges for what it is able to provide. If the teething problems are seen to, this could really become a great hotel. However, it still has some way to go to achieve luxury status. I do not think it has yet reached luxury status in the true sense. A real luxury hotel, of the types I have stayed in in Dubai or elsewhere, would outclass this hotel by some margin .

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor possible away from the lifts
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Altine451

Dear Altine451,

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed feedback following your stay.

We were pleased to receive your comments about your stay and happy that you enjoyed the staff service, rooms and internet and we value your comments as it is our best resource to ensuring we are providing the superior service we are known for. Our team is committed in ensuring that each guest has a wonderful experience with us. I have also noted your feedback on the food quality and maintenance issues that you encountered. Please rest assured that the team is actively working to attend to the issues that were raised.

Karl Hala,

Regional General Manager - Africa

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel has got a bubbly reception area and the front desk staff are very friendly. The rooms are comfortable. The food is excellent!
The spa massage treatment very relaxing .
The rooms with the waterfront are a view in the mornings!
The hallway did have a pungent damp smell But I noticed this was just on my floor!oh well !

Stayed: May 2014
ICLagos, Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Feigne,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback based on your experience at our establishment.

It is great to hear the positive response regarding the friendliness of our front desk team members, rest assured this has been noted and communicated in appreciation.

The information on the condition of freshness of the floor you were on has also been noted as positive feedback to assist us in further ensuring that potential problem areas are resolved.

Once again thank you for the time taken to convey your valuable feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The ICH is a nice hotel which is basically all there is. It's clean and bright. Beds are comfortable. I didn't have a chance to order lunches or dinners whilst there however if you're a scrambled egg lover for brekkie don't bother !On the 3 counts I ordered they didnt get it right.;)
It is expensive I agree with most other reviewers but hey ! Lagos is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities in the world without reasonable value for service, customer or otherwise......

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Feigne

Dear Feigne,

Greetings once again,

You truly are a source of support to the hospitality industry.

I realize you have taken more of your valued time to give us more feedback, and as always this is highly welcome and appreciated.

With regards to the culinary experience, it’s our sincere apology that there was a recurrence in delivery of expectation and measures will be put in place that below standards in product delivery are averted.

Thank you once again for the feedback as our esteemed and valued guest.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for four nights and found it to cover all the basic needs. It's a new hotel which still has some teething troubles over power in particular. The rooms are very spacious and well designed in my view. The decor is functional rather than designed to be welcoming and as a result the bars and restaurants lack real character or personality. The lobby is enormous but the standard of finishings generally are more impressive in scale than quality. The food was pretty good, if expensive as one would expect. There is a fifth floor terrace bar which is nice in the evenings but if it rains it doesn't leave many good options for a hotel of its scale. Quite nice outdoor pool and decent sized gym.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Segaria 226,

Greetings from Intercontinental Lagos,

Thank you for choosing our establishment as your home away from home during the recent visit.

I note with appreciation the feedback you have conveyed and notably on our Food and Beverage outlet experience.

Indeed it is work in progress and your feedback assists in identifying areas that call for quick fixes to ensure the overall experience of our valued guests, you included are met.

As we strive to take the improvement journey, we are glad you are part of our success drive contributors who are assisting us in maintaining winning areas and improving on need areas.

Best Wishes,