“Take your own bathplug and disinfectant!”

and 1 more site!
Lagos Airport Hotel
Ranked #89 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Useful because so close to airport if you are in transit to other areas of Nigeria, but just awful...

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank jacgal

Reviewed 19 July 2009

I stayed here a week in March and have found scantime's review to be the most accurate. This hotel certainly has seen better days and is in desperate need of refurbishment. The main hotel building is certainly better than the adjacent annex, which is a bit depressing to look at. I was glad I wasn't in there

The hotel does have some plus points

1. It is near to the airport
2. Security appears pretty good
3. Rooms are not filthy, nor was (in my experience) the water brow
4. Everything in the room worked
5. The restaurant food was palattable, African, yes, but palattable and did not cause my tummy too many problems
6. The pool bar area was OK for a drink on an evening

There are also minus points

1. For people not used to travelling outside of Europe/USA the hotel will feel "sub-standard". It is grubby by western standards, particularly in the corridor/stair areas
2. Unless proximity to the airport is your number one priority, the Ikeja area will offer no other reasons for it to be your choice of base
3. For what you get it is expensive

It is a little amusing to peruse some of the reviews, as there are two or three that are blatantly posted by people connected with the hotel. It is not the best hotel in Lagos, the hotel itself will not make you want to return again and again and it is not getting better by the day

In short, you'll survive it. In my experience it was not as dirty as described by others, but the Marriott Manhatten it is not. You're in Nigeria - remember that

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank shaun1967
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I am confused by the positive reviews on this site. Did they stay in a different hotel entirely? Or maybe this main biulding is really different from the part I stayed in. This is truly one of the worst hotels I ever visited, and I travel thoughout Africa and have been to many bad hotels. If you do decide to go, ask for a room in the mythical main building. And just to be sure, take your own sheets.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Jessie G
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Stayed here to catch a flight out of Nigeria early the next morning.
I was not impressed with the standard, decor or cleanliness of the rooms.
Running the tap in the bathroom and the water comes out brown!!
The airconditioner was a floor level and when this was switched on blew dust into the air.So I had to sleep wit it off and this is an uncomfortable experience in Lagos with the high humidity and locked windows for security.
Wireless Internet access was available in my room.The fridge in the room was empty of drinks.
I found the whole experience somewhat depressing and sitting by the pool in the evening was uncomfortable, bordering on impossible due to incessant mosquito attacks.
There is a strange check out system where the porter has to visit you in the room and audit the equiment in the room. This was extremely annoying as my room was a good 5 mins walk from reception, and I was told I could not check out unless I went back to the room to have this audit. As I had a plane to catch I was not best pleased, particularly as after the audit the porter hung about waiting for a tip.
The hotel is a 10min taxi ride from the airport and this is its redeeming feature.
Whilst it may have been nice many years ago, it needs a total refurb now as the decor, fittings, and equipment are clearly worn, and some badly.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank LezGoLezGo
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I am from the UK and stayed at the Lagos Airport Hotel in April this year and found it clean, very secure and the staff were very friendly.

If you want to stay at this hotel ask for the Main Building - it has recently been refurbished, air con in each room, TV, Coffee/Tea making, table & chair, fridge and large bed, the furniture is a bit dated, but it is OK, and each morning a manager came around and asked if there were any problems. OK - the Hotel is not the same as a Holiday Inn, but when you are in Lagos security is important, the main entrance has barriers with security guards, there are also guards on the front door and in the main building entrance to the rooms, there are also cameras on each floor.

There is a hotel block outside the main building 100yds away and this I refused to stay in, no security and like a prison - so stay in the main building. Chinese resturaunt next door and resturaunt in the main building. Watch the prices - I changed US dollars to Nigerian Naira it was easier to work out for the meals.

Important make sure you take a small torch with you, power cuts happen every day, I had 5 in one night, the Airport Hotel does have its own generators, but it will take several minutes before these take over.

Lagos is not a tourist destination, I was on business, it is not for family holidays unles you have relatives living in Nigeria. The place is a culture shock, make sure you are up to date in vacinations and you need yellow fever vacination before visiting, plus a few others. I took anti malaria capsules "Doxcycyline" as prescribed by my doctor. I wore cotton tee shirts each day as the heat and humidity was high, I did spray on anti-mosquito repellant but saw no mosquitos at all during my stay.

When outside the hotel stay in a locked vehicle, there are hundreds on people selling and begging on the roads, and traffic jams are the norm, make sure you have bottled water, which is supplied free in your room each day, I forgot this on my first day and after 5hours working and travelling I had to buy from a seller - bottled coke, I checked the bottle cap and then bought tins of coke, it was OK but clean the bottle and cans before drinking.

At night if you are out and in a new car you may be stopped by police armed with AK47's, do not panic, stay calm and let your driver deal with them, life in Lagos revolves around handing over some money 400NR (£2).

Buying fruit from road sellers was OK, we bought bannanas a bunch for 400-500NR, do not buy bottled water, ony get this from hotel or airport will be OK.

The Lagos MMA Airport is fine but very busy, despite what I heard about pick pockets I never had any trouble and I was at the airport each day, with mobile and camera on my belt, keep your passport on you, make sure your pockets are zipped or buttoned. The airport resturaunt on the 2nd or 3rd floor was good, small but good food and internet access.

When you arrive at Lagos Airport I suggest you walk and do not use the moving walkways, this is due to the power cuts, and you may fall over if on a moving walkway - if you have to use the walkway hold onto the rail. After leaving the aircraft you will go downstairs to customs and immigration, this is a small area and a bit chaotic, if you are not local stay to the right, this is for foreigners. After passing through immigration you will enter the baggage hall, there are 2 carousels, watch for people on your flight as I had no idea which one was for my flight. After this make sure that someone meets you to take you to where you are staying, do not take a taxi you might not get what you were expecting, people do get robbed.

Next to Lagos is Victoria Island, which takes while to get to, about 2hrs, this is because of the amount of traffic and chaos on the roads, also some of the roads are in a bit of a mess, pot holes that can swallow you without trace. Victoria island is modern, and the Hotel Eco is very good, but costs £250 GBP per night - note the Sheraton in Lagos is also modern and costs £300-350 per night, bottled water in the Eco was £4, but if you are spending £250 a night - who cares, you must keep drinking water in this heat. These hotels do cost more than a London Hotel, but then there is no where else decent apart from Lagos Airport Hotel. Note the Airport Hotel was £100 per night, I booked at the desk where ther is a written price sheet on the wall, you will have to put down a security deposit but you do get this back at the end of your stay.

Visiting Lagos is an interesting experience, visit with an open mind, this is not Las Vegas. I am returning to Lagos in a few months, and have no reservations about going back, the majority of Nigerians are very friendly and polite, they have great respect for foreigners. Visiting Lagos makes you think twice about your own personal lifestyle when you see how people live in Lagos.

Dave

Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank scantime
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Our travel agent said that it was 5 stars. Only for that they need a good kicking. Ikeja airport is smelly, overcrowded and filthy. Rooms are completely out of date, beds' matresses are obviously made of wood, and restaurant serves mostly nigerian specialities that I couldn't eat.
Never again.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank Dmitry2000
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 22 July 2005

Crap, crap, crap, crap - crap!
I read a bad review before I went and ignored it - big mistake. My first time in Lagos and thought it would be smart to save a few bucks instead of staying at Sheraton or other premium hotel - turns out it would have been a few dollars well spent. It was way below average accommodation for high price. In terms of security it was not bad I will admit. However the rooms were substandard, the beds uncomfortable and showers just plain not functioning. On our last night we ordered an extra mattress as one of our party had left - they did not deliver the mattress by the time we arrived back at 11pm, then dropped off mattress but no sheets, then dirty sheets but no blankets...then had the nerve to argue when we refused to pay full price, we had stayed for 7 nights at an exorbitant rate - 2 rooms. Don't bother - no idea of service or reality in terms of pricing.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business