“OK it is just barely”

Protea Hotel Victoria Island
Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I spent four days at this hotel in Nov. 2007 over a weekend and week days. Admittedly being here over the weekend must be factored in because I was quite bored yet it also gave me plenty of time to come to know the property's virtues and lack thereof. First my opinion was colored by the fact that the rooms are over $300 a night; it is simply way too overpriced, it in no way belongs in the category to charge this much. I am American but travel all over the world and have quite a bit of experience in different African countries, so I'm not holding my punches out of any sense of pc, etc. Also I just came from Senegal where the experience was great for two thirds the price. But for this price you get a barely adequate room, although clean. The bathroom is technically clean but again reminded me of some places I've used when in a camp lodge setting. A bit worn and the tile and grout need a good power cleaning.An example, the shampoo and shower gel (at least they had) really look like they are in reusable little bottles that the staff fill up at night with some homemade brew. I mean the cap on one was rusty and sort of askew. OK, it's environmental -good, but for this price I think they can afford some shampoo from the Body Shop. As for services, these really aren't that great either. First, they only take one type of credit card, that being Visa. OK, but in the room they say they take only MC, and the central reservations desk in S. Africa took my Amex number and assured me that it was acceptable at the hotel. So I changed some Euros at the front desk. He took my fifty Euros and handed me a wad of bills, like that, not how much I was receiving, but just here you go, here's some naira for you. I asked him what the hotel exchange rate was, and he had to then go and look it up. When I told him a needed a receipt, he wrote one out by hand. Second, they made me pay for the stay in advance - plus charged me for an extra night because I came in early and wanted to go to bed. Next, room service was awful and food not much better. I had several meals here; the service is friendly but really enjoys it when you learn how to do everything for yourself. No need to bring me any more coffee, mam, I now know where to go to find the pot myself. Maybe tomorrow I could cook my own food. Last night I ordered room service at around seven-thirty pm. Going on nine pm I called about it; then they called back, hey, can you take something else instead, we forgot your order. Then they brought, half of the original order - and this is maybe just me - but they brought the whole bottle of used ketchup - and it sat in my room until they cleaned it the next afternoon. So then it dawned on me when I was using the ketchup again in the restaurant - it seemed rather clumpy, probably spent more nights in people's rooms than in the fridge. I know that Lagos probably does not even have one truly acceptable hotel for the money they charge - even the larger chain hotels go lacking for the money. All this said, the hotel is OK, but has problems - the biggest being the price. If it were $100 less, perhaps the feeling would be one of a fair deal instead of that of a rip-off. On the plus side, it gets great cable tv reception with BBC channels; it has wifi but really only works in the lobby and is no faster ever than 54 Mbps, and power goes out frequently for a few seconds.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank Zinsky

Reviewed 6 May 2007

I stayed at the Protea in Apirl during the last elections. The hotel was clean and the facilities were fine. I had a problem with my water which was resolved quickly. There was a problem with my safe which was not resolved for several hours which led to me flying internally without a passport. The staff were helpful and curteous.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Londoner23
Reviewed 11 April 2007

Stayed in this hotel on a recent visit to lagos, i was quite impressed having heared all sorts of horror stories about the city.
Upon arriving at the hotel, i was greated by a surprisingly well mannered staff, i was treated well and i felt a sort of tranquility not felt anywhere in the city. Maybe it was because i could see a couple of military men patrolling the surroundings.
I definitely will recommend it to any safety conscious individuals visiting lagos.

Ahmed, London

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 February 2007

It was nice to find such a nice hotel in Lagos by our business partners. The staff is well educated and very friendly and helpful, the rooms are modern and clean. The restaurant offers nice local and international food.
To say it in one sentence: This hotel is a very good choice to enjoy Victoria Island.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank kschreiber
Reviewed 30 November 2005

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Protea right after our wedding reception. I was very impressed with the courteous staff, nice pool and very cozy atmosphere. The actual room was a bit small however the living section made up for the space. The staff was very poliet and attended to all our needs. We truly enjoyed our stay prior to returning to the states. I will definately return. The only draw back is that is was a bit pricy but I guess we were paying for the comfort, safety and amibance.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank acemenus
Reviewed 12 August 2005

Nice hotel, nice location. A little bit small and, in my opinion, about 25% overpriced. But all in all very comfortable. It has an advantage over the bigger hotels, which seem to have a problem with maintenance, and tend to go through periods of delapidation. The new set of smaller hotels, some privately owned, seems to be the way forward in terms of comfort security and location.

SC

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank sco
Reviewed 5 May 2005

It is a good hotel for the business traveller. It has a small dining area, average food, small pool and friendly staff. It is smallish for a hotel but you have all you need for your business needs, besides it is at the heart of Victoria Island. And as it is small, the staff can control the scammers who actaully prey on the visitors on other bigger business hotels on the island. The only negative is, it can be noisy if the generator is running ( and it does 1/3 of the time)...

• Stayed: November 2004, travelled on business