“You could definitely do worse”

Protea Hotel Victoria Island
Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I can't imagine that any hotel in Lagos will be luxurious by western standards, but the Protea Kuramo Waters does a decent job all things considered. The rooms are kept lean and bed linens are laundered daily. Furnishings are relatively modern. The Internet and TV were fairly reliable, but keep in mind that as with any hotels in VI, these services are fed from satellite rather than cable, so are subject to weather interference.

The bar and restaurant, while somewhat limited in selection, had some good items and some not so good. The chicken and jollof rice was tasty and the minestrone soup was excellent, however the chicken wings were scrawny and tasteless and the steak sandwich was a bit light on the steak. It kind of depends on what you get.

The pool is clean and usable, however the fitness center is practically worthless. There is a single universal machine that is so poorly maintained that you are as likely to get an injury using it as you are a workout. If you are planning on an extended stay and fitness is a priority, you best try your luck at the Eko.

The location has the benefit of being on a quiet street, so rooms are mostly free of traffic noise and lights from passing vehicles, however outside of the hotel gate there aren’t any restaurants, shopping, or night spots, so having access to a driver is key if you will be here for any length of time.

I can't argue with other opinions that the desk and food/beverage staff could be a little more attentive, however if you are direct but cordial and let them know your needs, you will be taken care of.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 September 2009

I've stayed in several hotels in Lagos, and in this one a few times. I have to admit that the service in this hotel is just a tad bit better than others, but they could do much better. For instance, the room I stayed in had complementary tea & coffee sachets, but the kettle was rusted (see picture). Breakfast needs improvement also.
This would be a sub-$100 hotel anywhere else on earth but since its Lagos, the price per room is around $400.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank euricia
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a few times already. I agree with much of what everyone says: very expensive hotel and not that great in return. Rooms are substandard, water pressure is weak and senior management needs training. A very good location and VI is the posh part of town so its no wonder protea charges what it does. Power outages are common and takes staff a while to put the generator on; email is slow. Food is mediocre at best. Housekeeping and the guys at reception are great!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank voyagerprof
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I agree with all that is in Zinsky's Summary above....ok hotel, but nothing special given the price. The hotel was clean and surrounding guarded courtyard/parking area seemed safe enough. Nice enough bar and small pool area. That said smallish room with twin-sized bed, AC that never quite cooled the room below sweat point, front desk with an attitude, service in restaurant slow despite a lot of staff milling aimlessly about, buffet in restaurant (at $60) really the only choice of food besides lunch menu, internet access never available during my 2 week stay (except by phone at 20 a min), and no place to exercise...all disappoint for a $300/night hotel. Lord help you if you do not happen to carry a visa card…as any other method of payment is out of the question....despite, as Zinsky mentioned, statement in the hotel guide that they only accept MasterCard. I guess it is hit or miss…to be on the safe side you may need to just carry large amounts of cash if you want to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank walkabout9
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I spent four days at this hotel in Nov. 2007 over a weekend and week days. Admittedly being here over the weekend must be factored in because I was quite bored yet it also gave me plenty of time to come to know the property's virtues and lack thereof. First my opinion was colored by the fact that the rooms are over $300 a night; it is simply way too overpriced, it in no way belongs in the category to charge this much. I am American but travel all over the world and have quite a bit of experience in different African countries, so I'm not holding my punches out of any sense of pc, etc. Also I just came from Senegal where the experience was great for two thirds the price. But for this price you get a barely adequate room, although clean. The bathroom is technically clean but again reminded me of some places I've used when in a camp lodge setting. A bit worn and the tile and grout need a good power cleaning.An example, the shampoo and shower gel (at least they had) really look like they are in reusable little bottles that the staff fill up at night with some homemade brew. I mean the cap on one was rusty and sort of askew. OK, it's environmental -good, but for this price I think they can afford some shampoo from the Body Shop. As for services, these really aren't that great either. First, they only take one type of credit card, that being Visa. OK, but in the room they say they take only MC, and the central reservations desk in S. Africa took my Amex number and assured me that it was acceptable at the hotel. So I changed some Euros at the front desk. He took my fifty Euros and handed me a wad of bills, like that, not how much I was receiving, but just here you go, here's some naira for you. I asked him what the hotel exchange rate was, and he had to then go and look it up. When I told him a needed a receipt, he wrote one out by hand. Second, they made me pay for the stay in advance - plus charged me for an extra night because I came in early and wanted to go to bed. Next, room service was awful and food not much better. I had several meals here; the service is friendly but really enjoys it when you learn how to do everything for yourself. No need to bring me any more coffee, mam, I now know where to go to find the pot myself. Maybe tomorrow I could cook my own food. Last night I ordered room service at around seven-thirty pm. Going on nine pm I called about it; then they called back, hey, can you take something else instead, we forgot your order. Then they brought, half of the original order - and this is maybe just me - but they brought the whole bottle of used ketchup - and it sat in my room until they cleaned it the next afternoon. So then it dawned on me when I was using the ketchup again in the restaurant - it seemed rather clumpy, probably spent more nights in people's rooms than in the fridge. I know that Lagos probably does not even have one truly acceptable hotel for the money they charge - even the larger chain hotels go lacking for the money. All this said, the hotel is OK, but has problems - the biggest being the price. If it were $100 less, perhaps the feeling would be one of a fair deal instead of that of a rip-off. On the plus side, it gets great cable tv reception with BBC channels; it has wifi but really only works in the lobby and is no faster ever than 54 Mbps, and power goes out frequently for a few seconds.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank Zinsky
Reviewed 6 May 2007

I stayed at the Protea in Apirl during the last elections. The hotel was clean and the facilities were fine. I had a problem with my water which was resolved quickly. There was a problem with my safe which was not resolved for several hours which led to me flying internally without a passport. The staff were helpful and curteous.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Londoner23
Reviewed 11 April 2007

Stayed in this hotel on a recent visit to lagos, i was quite impressed having heared all sorts of horror stories about the city.
Upon arriving at the hotel, i was greated by a surprisingly well mannered staff, i was treated well and i felt a sort of tranquility not felt anywhere in the city. Maybe it was because i could see a couple of military men patrolling the surroundings.
I definitely will recommend it to any safety conscious individuals visiting lagos.

Ahmed, London