“excellent”

Ranked #15 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Stockholm
“excellent”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Very nice quiet place, good to do buisness in. good atmosphere

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AnBjorn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
BKK
Reviewed 26 August 2009

hotel charges per night is around US$300. don't even think to cook by yourselves or find an instant foods since it will cost the extra charge to you.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
High Wycombe, England
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I stayed at the Vicky for 7 days and can recommend to all. The previous reviewer has covered all the facts accurately.

The hotel reminds me of a Holliday Inn, but with better staff. Restaurant was excellent, if a
little slow by western standards, but compared with the rest of the Lagos Hotels who cares.

Above they do not give you the impression of being snatching about money. I even spent my first night there without having my credit card swiped or giving a deposit, this is a miracle in Nigeria. Above all it is not the haunt of prostitutes and you are safe from the “bad men”. The electrical power is also stable by Nigerian standards, so you dare use the lift.

I advise you to use mosquito repellent if sat by the pool at night as I got bit. The young lady at the bar mentioned in the previous review is Ekke (her village name) she prefers to be known as Gloria.

When next in Lagos it’s the Victoria Crown Plaza again for me!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank cley123
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 July 2009

After a disastrous 2 weeks at the nearby Solitude Hotel, we moved to the VCP as we were assured it was much better. Thankfully, that recommendation turned out to be accurate!

I was in a rear facing standard room on the 4th floor, the room was very spacious and clean. The TV had 21 channels to choose from including VCP's own DVD channel with 2 recent releases playing each night. There were tea making facilities, a well stocked mini bar and a spacious closet. My only complaint about the room was that the bed was sagging towards the middle, so the mattresses could do with being replaced. My colleague had the same problem in her room. The view out the back wasn't very pleasant, it looked to be some sort of slum with people living in shacks, but the hotel can't be blamed for the socio economic problems of Nigeria.

The restaurant is excellent, the service was impeccable and the food a really high standard. In two weeks, I didn't have a single meal I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Sure, there were minor niggles like them not having certain items on the menu and being unable to serve me ice cream within half an hour as it was too frozen, but to complain would just be nit picking, especially after the inedible slop we endured at the previous hotel. Breakfasts (included in the room rate) were always excellent.

The hotel also has 2 bars, one next to the restaurant and one next to the pool. They do seem to have a lack of bottle openers behind the bar which is strange for a bar that only sells alcohol out of bottles, but again, unless you want to nit-pick, it's not really an issue. Service was always warm and friendly, especially from the tall thin girl (unfortunately, I didn't catch her name but she went really out of her way to make us feel welcome). The pool outside is probably just there for decoration more than anything as I couldn't imagine anyone trying to relax and bathe in it due to it's hectic location. The hotel doesn't have a gym, but if you ask at reception, you can get an exercise bike in your room which is handy! The wifi is a bit on the slow side, but it does work and it's free.

Overall, the VCP certainly matches up to western standard hotels although western hotels could learn a thing or two about customer service from the VCP. The staff really gave the impression they wanted to help and make my stay as pleasant as possible without trying to get a tip from me which was a huge contrast from the Solitude where we had guards demand we bring them money! I can't see myself ever going back to Lagos, but if I do, I'll look forward to checking into the VCP again! As my stay was on a company account, I'm not too sure how much my stay actually cost, so can't comment on value for money.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank SlimVW
Bristol
Reviewed 11 July 2009

This being my first trip to Nigeria I wasa little anxious aboutthe whole thing.

However, the level of service at the hotel and the vigilance of the staff meant that I never felt unsafe once I'd reached the hotel.

Although it may not be quite in the same league as top hotels in Europe it's a good standard and is enhanced by the staff friendliness (and no I was not tipping anyone to make them so).

The only real downside of the hotel is the lack of any leisure facilities (the pool is more for lying in than swimming) which as a keen runner/cyclist/swimmer etc I found a bit difficult to cope with.

If you've never visited this part of Africa before be prepared for the power to go off regularly but only for a few seconds til they get the generator started. If you have a conference there don't worry as the conference rooms are fitted with UPS batteries so only the aircon goes off!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank maiday
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I stayed there for 4 nights - 5 days.
I will list below summary of Pros and cons for my stay. the issue is anyone do not have a lot of options when he is coming for a short period in lagos.

Pros.
Location of the place.
People and customer service to an extent.
Rooms are clean.
Food is ok.

Cons.

Prices are really expensive.
Sometimes people are really slow.
The Pool is not really a pool.
Internet (wireless or cable) are really slow.
Cable TV system is having issues 40% of the time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Egyptian-Advisor
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I decided to stay at the Victoria Crown Plaza (the VCP) after reading reviews. Having stayed previously at the Eko I decided I could do with a change as I normally stay in Lagos for a week at a time on business.

On the positive side the staff are incredible friendly, especially at concierge and front of house, and have obviously all been instructed to welcome you back after a day out in the pandemonium that is Lagos. This is a nice touch (and something the Eko could learn from). The rooms are a decent size and clean and I had no complaints at the bedroom.

My issues started in the bathroom. The sink was one of the newer designs favoured by London hotels, however the problems lie with the water pressure. It seems to build so when you turn the tap on you get an explosion of water that ricochets everywhere covering you and the rest of the bathroom in water. That is when you get water, my third morning it ran out half way through shaving, actually just after going brown which was nice.

I also had a broken toilet which I told them about and I assume they mended with sticky back plaster. It was obviously an issue with the cistern and on my final night this broke completely to the extent I had to be moved room at 11pm, when I had a 4.30am start the following morning.

The restaurant I didn't care for much. Breakfast was okay, nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. Dinner was generally just sub-standard. I ate there four times and I would say I actually thought it was okay once. Mainly the quality of the ingredients was just poor with food chewy, overcooked and generally bad quality. The wine was decent though which was a bonus. My final evening my meal was given to another diner, who bizarrely ate it, leaving me with his meal, that I had had two days earlier and thought awful. What followed was a catalogue of incompetence trying to get me to have something else.

The upshot was at the evening was I had no food, no toilet, went to bed late, had fours sleep before a marathon day of meetings in Abuja.

I don't like writing poor reviews but this was a nightmare. On the face of it the hotel is friendly, clean and a decent option, but stay for a while and the cracks begin to show until, by the time you leave, it is a crevace.

I did complain and the manager was very helpful, but it didn't really help much the way I felt the following morning. For his interest there was no hot water in the room I moved to so I had to go another day without a shower.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The food, the broken toilet, lack of water
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank romannose73
crownplazaVI, General Manager at Victoria Crown Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Dear Sir,
I have recently taken over the management of the Victoria Crown Plaza and have undertaken to re commmit to guest satisfaction. I value your input as it points to challenges that were faced in the past. Should you ever be in Lagos again for business or Travel, I woiuld like to personally invite you to Victoria Crown Plaza to see the changes that we are bringing about.
Kind Regards