“Stop Off.”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Hagen
Totton, United Kingdom
“Stop Off.”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I use the Highlander in Mt Hagen frequently as I am based at Mendi and fly to and from Kagamuga Airport/Port Moresby Airport regularly. The Highlander is a convenient stop over during the journey, and a welcome bit of comfort after a number of weeks 'enjoying' the rigours of the Southern Highlands Province.
The food served up in the dining room I have found to be perfectly adequate, breakfast, lunch and evening meal, and have so far had no reason to complain.
The staff are all courteous and attentive, with very good memories. I'm always assured of a big wide smile when I check in.
The rooms are comfortable, and as I tend to just use the room as a place to sleep, I'm not too fussed about room amenities. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms which I appreciate.
Sleep quality is good, with minimal noise from outside. The bar is comfortable and the bar staff very friendly....no Irish whiskey though!
I've noted a couple of reviewers have mentioned the insect life, yep, can't dispute that. However, with something like 3 metres of rainfall during the wet season, you can't be suprised that there will be a an active insect population. personally I don't find it a problem. Just keep the bags closed and zipped, and check the boots before putting them on. I usually travel with my own can of insect spray for anything particularly unpleasant.
Overall, I enjoy my short stays at the Highlander. It's a secure and comfortable place in what can be quite a rough town.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Upstairs' rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Bedou
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for your comments, we are pleased that your experiences have been enjoyable, we will endeavor to get some Irish Whiskey, but due to Provincial licensing laws we are limited to purchase only through wholesalers within the province.
I will pass on your comments to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Highlander in the future.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am usually a positive person who prefers not to be critical. However, this hotel does not provide a good experience if you like a clean and insect-free room. I am one of those rare people who loves insects, looking for them in every forest I visit. But this place just had too many cockroaches, even for me. The rooms just are not clean and linen, while probably washed, had an odor. The room down the hall had a major leak during which water soaked someone's bed at 10:00 in the evening. I usually do not mind roughing it, so I was able to handle the situation, but do not recommend staying here. Visited during May.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank wdctravelor
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Washington DC Travelor
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay last year.
We appreciate our guests highlighting their experiences whilst with us, since your stay we have upgraded our laundry equipment which has eradicated the linen problem. As you are no doubt aware in the tropics we experience numerous insects, we endeavor to keep these to a minimum, during the wet season when we have over 6 feet of rain and during this time there are inundations of insects. We have initiated a monthly spray and I am pleased to report that the occurrence is far less.
Once again thank you for your comments
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I had the misfortune to stay at the Highlander Hotel in Mount Hagen. We had ten people staying there for a week for a conference that was also held at the hotel.
Without exception every single room was infested with cockroaches:
Manager's response - it's the weather, we spray regularly and guests bring in food. Not good enough for the outrageous rates being charged.
Attempted break in into female member of staff's room at 11.30 one night. Reported to the front desk - no action taken.
Tried to buy internet access card at the front desk - was told it was not possible because Duty Manager was at the bank.
Checked into my room and found no towels. Asked repeatedly for towels - turned up three hours later.
Television in my room had no programme button and no remote control. Six hours to bring a replacement and still no remote control.
Colleague's room was flooded with baby sleeping on the floor - Manager at least comped us one night free accommodation.
Key card system consistently locked us out of our rooms and we had to make the long trek to reception every time.
Night before check out in the morning I tried to settle my bill and the one for the conference incidental expenses - it took one hour and thirty minutes at check-in to do this.
One morning the restaurant staff tried to charge 50 Kina for a baby's breakfast buffet.
Manager at least rescinded the charge
We spent well over 50,000 Kina at the hotel and we received shocking and appalling service. Put me off staying at any Coral Sea hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague of cockroaches its infested with
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank POMResident
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
We were disappointed to read about the issues you encountered whilst here, and please accept our apologies.
In regards to insects in rooms, there is a monthly pest treatment carried out in all rooms, and particular attention is paid to daily room cleanliness. Our sincere apologies if there were any unwanted insects that made their way into your room. Climate is a factor here, but with ongoing monitoring, we can definitely minimise the presence of these pests.
All guests are encouraged to contact the manager on duty, at the actual time of any issues they have, so it can be followed up promptly and effectively.
Again, thank you for your comments, we appreciate all feedback from our guests, which helps us pinpoint the areas that need addressing. A more detailed letter of apology has been sent to you directly.
Kind Regards,
Port Moresby
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I have stayed at the Highlander Hotel many times over a long period and have always enjoyed the beautiful gardens and been impressed by the friendly attentive staff. However it has taken more than a year to tear down the old central building and replace it with a new one and the result was not very appealing. It looks rather like a large country cottage from the outside. The inside was very modern as can be expected but having the kitchen and servery integrated with the dining room was a mistake. It was very noisy from the kitchen area and the noise was exacerbated by dining chairs and tables being dragged across the wooden floor.Chair legs with rubber dampeners might solve this problem. The smell from the kitchen could be quite overpowering particularly in the morning when they were frying bacon for breakfast and the smell got into your clothes.

I was given a 'premier' room in a block of rooms a short walk from the main building. The room was quite large with a king sized bed, small lounge chair, TV (old box style) and fridge. While quite comfortable, it felt 'tired' and needed renovation and I didn't feel at home. The bed cover was straight out of the 80's, the paint had faded and there was nothing on the walls. The bedside lamp shade had a large burn hole in it as a result of the globe fitting not been correctly fitted. The bathroom had a flimsy shower curtain that wrapped itself around you and there was no plug in the hand basin. I returned to my room one evening to find it had been flooded due to a tap being left on by a plumber doing some repairs in an adjoining room.

The worst aspect of my stay there was definitely the food and particularly the breakfast which was very expensive for what you got. Unless you ordered the continental breakfast you had to wait a long time to be served. I ordered bacon and eggs one morning and waited nearly 30 minutes only to be served burnt pork (they ran out of bacon I was told) and 2 eggs that had been left on the grill and the undersides had burned black. The choice of dishes on the dinner menu was not very impressive either. However I do have to congratulate the hotel on the seafood buffet they had on the Thursday evening which seemed very popular with the local residents.

The new bar is quite cosy but we were not allowed to change the channels on the large screen TV and when I asked the bar waiter why this was the case, he replied that the Manager had forbidden it and the same channel (sports) was to be kept on.

Having said all of the above travellers need to understand that this is about the only decent place to stay in Mount Hagen which is still really a frontier town. The security is tight, it is at the quiet end of town and the gardens really are quite impressive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms in the new building near the restaurant as the noise can be quite disturbin...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Raitman
Clearwater Beach, FL
Reviewed 23 September 2011

They are mostly complete with the remodelling. Good breakfast and dinner buffet, good hot water, no internet although advertized as havin it - may have been a local telecommunication issue, but the front desk was not clear the problem and it remained over our 3 day visit. OK beds but no door sills so little bugs migrated in and out . Laundry service a real rip-off. No staff seemed to have change, so everything rounded UP - annoying, especially since it seemed to be deliberate. BTW - the hotel is walled with razor wire on top - it seems the town has some issues with crime. But this is about your best place in town as best we could tell. All the above being said, this place was heaven after 6 days on the Sepik River with no electricity, staying in village guesthouses.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Woodford, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This Hotel is fairly central, perhaps 500m from the city centre. It is the upmarket place in town. The Highlands being the populous place it is, the central area and large market is pretty bustling with people, which means you need to be extra careful regarding petty theft. Mount Hagen is at about 1700m elevation, surrounded by hills rising to about 2000m or so. Further away there are much larger mountains - if flying up from Port Moresby on a clear day a window in the right hand side is well worth asking for.

Staff were very friendly and eager to please. They managed to get things mostly right although check in counter was a bit chaotic if they were serving several people at once. They do a shuttle from the airport, which is about a 10-15 minute drive away on the other side of town. Some locals in the car park are well set up in a hut selling stone axes, bilums, paintings and the like, at pretty reasonable prices.

Inside the compounded area it is very pleasant, having a pool with thatched roofs over the poolside bar tables. There are a number of tall trees, a very well maintained garden and a caged tree kangaroo. The large Mountain Ash trees, planted by expats in the 50s, and the mild climate with morning mists give the hotel the atmosphere of the Dandenongs.

The hotel room - motel room better describes it -- might equate to a typical three star motel of the 1970s, with a comfortable king bed, (single) chair and a good sized bench that could be used as a desk, fridge, in room safe, etc. There was a small and aging television set. Things went rather downhill in the bathroom, the fittings all worked but the flimsy mesh shower curtain and mould on the shower walls and floor didn't enhance the experience.

There is wifi available in the restaurant, which worked sometimes in my room, although in my colleagues' rooms it didn't work at all.

The restaurant buffet for dinner was pleasant as well with a good range of dishes - seafood buffet was a bit of a non sequitur in Mount Hagen. The breakfast buffet was also quite reasonable, with a good range of dishes, and a man cooking omelets to order.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I stayed at the Highlander Hotel, Mount Hagen with a group of Australians travelling to a wedding in a Highlands village. We found that the service was fantastic, and the hotel has all the facilities you need. The breakfast is very good (as you'd expect in any Sydney hotel) and the bar served ice cold beer. Mt Hagen wasn't the safest place to visit, but Hotel staff walked with us down to the supermarket to stock up on everything we needed to head to the villages. After one week away we arrived back at the Highlander on our way home - and again the staff were very helpful. Owned by an Aussie named Nigel, we were able to withdraw some cash and organise everything we needed (airport transfers etc). The Highlander was a welcome refuge in what can be a demanding area to travel through.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Been to Highlander Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!