Highlander Hotel & Apartments
US$28
McRoyal Hotel(Mount Hagen)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmanagement teamsmall loungelong termhighlandstouriststanks
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I read all the reviews here and was concerned. Highlander is the only safe, secure, Western-appropriate hotel in the area. They cater to the demands of the tourists coming to the area for the Mount Hagen SingSing. I spoke to Nigel who was always available. Every evening there was entertainment - the mud men showed up! While I did not stay in the new section, I did not see one bug and I was prepared! Victoria Alexander

Room Tip: Yeah, ask for Nigel and say I recommended you!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kwanitaka
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear Mrs Alexander
Thank you for your comments, the whole team at the Highlander appreciated your kind words; the 2012 Mt Hagen Show was a wonderful success especially following the National Elections. We are all pleased that we have received such positive feedback from our overseas guests who attended the singsing.
We look forward to welcoming many more tourists to the Western Highlands Province and the Highlander Hotel.
Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2012

The Highlander Hotel is the most up market in Mount Hagen. The rooms in the new section of the hotel are very good. It is quite expensive but it has the market covered as it is the first choice of most travellers to Mt Hagen. The restaurant is good but the service can be very slow at times.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new section are best
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Australia18
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and can assure you that we are continually reviewing our service procedures.
We look forward to welcoming you when you next travel to Mt Hagen
Nigel Logue, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2012

this hotel is a bit tired, but the staff is friendly. although it is fortified in a bunker to keep out the criminals, rodents have no problem getting in the rooms. if you must stay here, avoid eating the hotel food! five people in our group became violently ill after a dinner meal. severe food poisoning required strong antibiotics and several days of rest.

Room Tip: ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mr_los_angeles
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff.
In regards to your comments in relation to the food, due to the high turnover we buy in our supplies on a daily basis, thus ensuring the freshest raw materials are utilised.
Please feel free to contact us directly with a room number and dates of your stay so we can investigate your comments effectively.
We encourage all guests to bring any problems they are facing to our attention as quickly as possible, so it is able to be rectified quickly.
Regards

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I use the Highlander in Mt Hagen frequently as I am based at Mendi and fly to and from Kagamuga Airport/Port Moresby Airport regularly. The Highlander is a convenient stop over during the journey, and a welcome bit of comfort after a number of weeks 'enjoying' the rigours of the Southern Highlands Province.
The food served up in the dining room I have found to be perfectly adequate, breakfast, lunch and evening meal, and have so far had no reason to complain.
The staff are all courteous and attentive, with very good memories. I'm always assured of a big wide smile when I check in.
The rooms are comfortable, and as I tend to just use the room as a place to sleep, I'm not too fussed about room amenities. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms which I appreciate.
Sleep quality is good, with minimal noise from outside. The bar is comfortable and the bar staff very friendly....no Irish whiskey though!
I've noted a couple of reviewers have mentioned the insect life, yep, can't dispute that. However, with something like 3 metres of rainfall during the wet season, you can't be suprised that there will be a an active insect population. personally I don't find it a problem. Just keep the bags closed and zipped, and check the boots before putting them on. I usually travel with my own can of insect spray for anything particularly unpleasant.
Overall, I enjoy my short stays at the Highlander. It's a secure and comfortable place in what can be quite a rough town.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Upstairs' rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Bedou
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased that your experiences have been enjoyable, we will endeavor to get some Irish Whiskey, but due to Provincial licensing laws we are limited to purchase only through wholesalers within the province.
I will pass on your comments to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Highlander in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am usually a positive person who prefers not to be critical. However, this hotel does not provide a good experience if you like a clean and insect-free room. I am one of those rare people who loves insects, looking for them in every forest I visit. But this place just had too many cockroaches, even for me. The rooms just are not clean and linen, while probably washed, had an odor. The room down the hall had a major leak during which water soaked someone's bed at 10:00 in the evening. I usually do not mind roughing it, so I was able to handle the situation, but do not recommend staying here. Visited during May.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wdctravelor
HighlanderManager, Manager at Highlander Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Washington DC Travelor
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay last year.
We appreciate our guests highlighting their experiences whilst with us, since your stay we have upgraded our laundry equipment which has eradicated the linen problem. As you are no doubt aware in the tropics we experience numerous insects, we endeavor to keep these to a minimum, during the wet season when we have over 6 feet of rain and during this time there are inundations of insects. We have initiated a monthly spray and I am pleased to report that the occurrence is far less.
Once again thank you for your comments