“Stay elsewhere! What a dump!”
Review of Royal Inti Inn

Royal Inti Inn
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The "hotel" is located in the town at the foot of Machu Picchu (called Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo), not in Cusco.

I did not choose to stay here. We had booked a room for one night at Gringo Bill's, but they were "closed" due to some local ordinance, so they sent us to the Royal Inti Inn. (See my review of Gringo Bill's to see what I think of that practice...)

We would have never chosen to stay here! The location alone was enough to drive us batty because it was way up Av Parachutec toward the hot springs, so you have to hike quite a ways almost straight uphill to get to the hotel with your bags.

The rooms are musty and smell like mold because there is no ventilation in the bathroom and the steam builds up when you shower. We had to keep the door to the hallway open until we went to sleep to try to get rid of the moldy smell.

The rooms are noisy because they have single-paned windows that don't close completely, face the street, and the restaurant on the first floor plays music until 10pm or later.

Our particular also suffered from holes in the cement walls, and cracks around the door frames that let these giant insects into the room! We had to dispose of a huge moth (at least 3" wingspan), a giant thing that looked like a centipede but wasn't because it was slithering like a small snake up the wall, and lots of fruit-fly like gnat things.

Btw, the beds are rock hard -- as hard as the cold tile floor.

Finally, we took one look at the breakfast the next morning and decided to not to risk it. A limp offering of coffee, reconstituted juices (likely reconsituted with tap water), sliced lunch meat and sliced cheese -- buzzing with those gnat things? Ugh. We survived on Cliff Bars that day.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Former_grad_student
There are newer reviews for Royal Inti Inn

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Our experience in this hotel actually was not that bad. The only complaint is about pick-up. Although our travel agent had arranged a pick-up from the train station, after arrival no one was waiting for us. As it was midday and I had the hotel address, we managed to find it on our own. Upon arrival we had to wait some 20 minutes for our room to be cleaned. The room itself was very nice, bathroom had all the toiletries needed, as well as 2 complimentary bottles of water. The breakfast was not the best ve've had, but was OK. When going to Maccu Picchu, left our backpacks in the storage. Overall the hotel is really good.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed there only for one night while going to matchu pitcchu.
The hotel is really clean and the staff is helpful.
The room is really big and has a Mini-bar the bed is really comfortable.
Aguas caliente is really small but this hotel is not good for older people because is about 4 block up on the hill.

Bacal

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel has big rooms, but the value proposal is not nice!. Lobby is a mess and hotel´s personnel, even though they try to be kind, is not well trained. The place is barely clean and should be cheaper!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My travel agent booked this hotel for me. It is noticeably a newer hotel, and I don't expect much from a small town like this. However, the people who worked there really do not have any ideas at all! First of all, I was supposed to be picked up by the staff at the train station. I saw no one when I got out of the train late at night. Luckily, some other spanish speaking tourists were able to help me to locate my hotel. I got there and I was led to the room on third floor. OK. The room is clean, but the curtains are not big enough to cover the windows, so people can look inside if they want to. Then, there was no toiletry in the bathroom, except soap. So, I had to spent 2 soles to buy some shampoo to wash my hair. I was silly enough to bring my laptop, thinking that I will be spending most of my time online, reading about Machu Picchu. Guess what? The internet server was broken and they don't know when it would be fixed. Then, there is no safety storage for expensive items like this. So, I was very concerned. I didn't plan to bring my laptop to visit MP, so, I need to leave it with them. But, by then, I am not sure if I could trust them.

I asked for a morning call at 3:00 am so I can get in line for the Wayna Picchu hike. There was no morning call. Luckily, I set my alarm on my iPhone. The hotel manager was basically sleeping behind the counter.

Last but not least, this place is very noisy due to the construction materials. Everything is echo'ed through the atrium. Luckily, the front desk turned off all the TVs by 11:00 am for those who needs to wake up early.

All in all, for $55, I can definitely find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This hotel is by no means terrible but I think because it was booked through a tour company and the town of Aguas Calientes is so charming that my expectations were higher. The room is bare bones with a small tv and mini refrigerator. The bathrooms are nicer than the rooms and I never had a problem getting hot water. The decor is very dated and there is no storage space or closet which wasn't a big deal since I was in Aquas Calientes with minimal personals for just one night. My room had a window that faced the atrium but the drapes didn’t offer 100% privacy. My room was situated on the side that was nearest to the river which wasn't a problem yet for the noisy bird that must belong to the local residents next door I didn't get much sleep. This is likely a family run hotel. When I went down for breakfast there were two young children asleep on the lobby sofas. The breakfast buffet leaves a lot to be desired. I think juice, bananas, bread and bologna style meat and cheese is all that is offered. The staff didn't speak English but seemed pleasant. I would only recommend this hotel for trail hikers as it is decent for a quick rest stop and hot shower.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2010

After a very long day of exercise, hours of walking, climbing, stepping, we only wanted to take a bath, we had reserved a room with jacuzzi, and it was worth it!. We only went with backpacks and didn't bring the migration papers with us. The hotel decided to charge us for this U$S 10. After we laid down we needed some water and food! we couldn't find the minibar, there was no bottled water either. We went to the diner and they told us that they only had breakfast service, nothing else. So We had to go out in order to satisfy our needs.
This is a brand new hotel, the bed and bathroom are in perfect conditions. there was a flat TV also. but that was it. Nothing else. There was no safety box in the room, so we decided to ask the lady at the front desk, there is no safety box at all at the hotel!
The bathroom has shampoo, soap and body cream. there was no hair drier as I had to ask for one at the front desk.
the river is veryyy noisy and the hotel is located very near from it, for me it was beautiful, for my husband a little bit hard to get some sleep.
On the last day we wanted to make late check out, as we saw very few people at the hotel, we thought there would be no problem. Again they wanted to charge us for this, and we paid another U$S 10. When we wanted to pay with a 20 dollar bill they couldnt give us change, they ended up giving us half in soles and half in dollar bills I think it is not the money but the service the issue. They didn't do anything to satisfy the client.
Anyway I would recommend this hotel to people that knows these facts and know what to expect from it. hope this review helps! good luck!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple