“Royal in name only...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Perth, Australia
“Royal in name only...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed here as part of a group booking. My room was ok for size, but very basically furnished. No chairs or places to hang towels for instance. My room was on the uppermost completed floor. I say completed floor, as there is another floor above which is currently being used for storage, which seems to be in the process of being built. This room was very noisy, being exposed to whatever shouting or celebrations are going on down below in the town. The top of the stairway has no handrail. This hotel seems to be equipped with the bare minimum to get by as a business. The people running and working in this place have a nice enough manner, but don't expect real service - that manager just says what ever is needed to get rid of you, and other staff sometimes don't always respond to requests for assistance. Some bathrooms of fellow travelers were dirty, or flooded when the shower was used. The breakfast area is okay but a bit cramped.
I would not like to be in this place on an upper floor if there is ever a fire - no fire extinguishers were in evidence, and there is no fire escape in evidence. Yep, the reality of Agua Calientes is that just about everyone is either in town to see Macchu Picchu, or make money out of it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Westralia

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Royal Inti Inn

I stayed at the Royal Inti Inn for just one night, which was enough. A tour guide associated with my hotel in Cusco booked the room as part of the Machu Picchu experience. A very nice young man met us at the train station- not immediately- we waited about 10 minutes or so. He walked us up a very steep street –about 3-4 ‘blocks’ to the hotel, where we passed hostels, vendors and restaurants serving everything from pizza to guinea pig.

I’m sure that my experience is common to many others. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. After walking up to the third floor I unlocked the door to my room and was immediately met with a very distasteful odor. I looked around and wondered to myself, ‘how am I going to stay here?’ I went back to the front desk and requested another room. They immediately gave me a new room on the 4th floor, which was better. Now as I write this I have to constantly remind myself that I am writing from an American perspective. While I did have a private bath, I went to buy flip-flops before I would step into the shower. Superficially the room appeared clean, but the shower could have used a good scrubbing with bleach. There were mold stains on the ceiling near the showerhead. The bed was uncomfortable and I later noticed that there was no box spring- just a mattress resting on a metal frame. Breakfast came with the room. It was not very good.

Would I stay there again? No. I don’t know the room’s price as it was part of the entire package but I later went online and found that a room in June is listed for $85. If you are on a tight budget and want a private bath, by all means stay here. If you want to spend a little more, I would recommend that you find another place. But on a positive note, the room’s paint color was a nice subtle earthy peach and the manner in which they painted near the ceiling gave the appearance of crown moulding. The doors looked new and were quite nice. They are trying; perhaps it’s a work in progress. I guess my best advice is if you are booking a package with a travel agent, find out ahead of time what hotel they are booking you in. Remember, you get what you pay for, particularly in Aguas Calientes.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

NE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hotel was by far the worst we stayed in while on a Peru tour. I have no idea why the tour company continues to make their travelers suffer. The room looks dirty and dingy and the vent in the bathroom opens to the stairwell, so you can always hear people. The hotel staff were awkward and not helpful. Some staff member busted into my room shortly after we arrived and I saw a little girl just opening doors...what?!? The breakfast was super sketch and I didn't trust it to eat anything. The rooms that face the street hear noise all night long. If I had arrived without a tour I would have immediately canceled the reservation even if I had lost my $ it's that bad. It was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and the biggest disappointment on the tour.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the train station (up hill going, down hill returning). The town itself is like a giant tourist trap, which is too bad considering the beauty of Machu Pichu. Although my friends and I did get an $8 30 minute foot massage (negotiate negotiate).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Main Street and top floor to minimize noise. Better yet don't stay here...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALWAYSTRAVELWELL
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Our tour company booked us here for one night and was definitely one night too many. The first room we were given was a large room with a good bathroom, unfortunately I could not stand the smell. The second room was much smaller but there was no smell. I could not get comfortable in this hotel and found it to be more like a hostel. On the good side it was clean and the front desk staff tried to be helpful. It is the only hotel I have ever been to that we were told we could not have extra toilet paper, we would have to buy it at the local store. Very strange. The breakfast was not something that I could recommend. There are better places to stay before you head to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank retiredtraveller2015
Ramona, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

The worst experience of a G Adventure tour, culminating in Machu Picchu. We checked into this place and had to wait to get a room. One of our fellow travelers spotted a mouse crawling across the desk clerk's counter. My husband was ill and needed a place to sleep, and after an hour they had a room ready. Basic accomodation is all we need, but this was far below basic. There were not enough blankets or pillows and my requests were ignored, so I helped myself to some from another room. The beds were hard twin beds, the floors were grimy and the bathroom provided a towel and soap only. The shower was filthy. Somehow the hotel had fit this room into the inside of a corridor with no windows. Thank God and G Adventures we were moved with our group to a much better place at 8pm, after the complaints of our group became overwhelming.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rcurry17
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

There are two pros to this hotel: 1 - it's close proximity to Machu Picchu, 2 - the efforts of the staff to make your stay as good as possible. However, this wasn't enough to make up for the hotels failings. Whilst we were checking in, I nipped to the loos downstairs in the restaurant and can honestly say that these were the dirtiest toilets that I used in all of Peru (including the huts in the jungle!). This wasn't a good start, but I was prepared to put it aside as the room on initial inspection appeared ok. We were staying in the bedroom immediately above the restaurant and facing out onto the street. The noise was incredible and lasted well into the early hours of the morning - people laughing downstairs followed by fighting on the streets. This wasn't helped by the fact that it wasn't possible to close the window in the bathroom. The door on the shower was broken and there was no bath mat so the bathroom flooded every time we showered and the floor became very wet and slippy. Lastly, the bed sheets smelled very damp and fusty and did not feel clean at all.

Separately we were a group of about 15 staying in the hotel and decided to have dinner in the restaurant downstairs. It was like being part of an episode of Fawlty Towers. It took hours to take our order, further hours to deliver the food and then sorting out the bill at the end, was a nightmare.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
buenos aires
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

When we arrived at the train terminal, someone from the hotel was supposed to get us.. no one was there! They said they have phone connection problems, and that nobody from the agency fron Cusco let them know that we were arriving that day! Bad start, and it goes worse.. no room for us! They sent us to another hotel from the same owner, it was really awful! We complained and returned to the hotel. Got a room, we were 2 friends travelling together and had to share a bed! Rather did that that stay at the other hotel.The room: no towels, hangers, no breakfast ready at the time it was supposed to be, no cleaning of the room or toilet at all during the 2 night stay, no extra toilet paper.... VERY nosy hotel, both guests and maids shouting as from 5 am!!! Very bright room, no ventilation at all, smaller sheets than the matress, dirty cover. NOT coming back!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends