“Scariest climb I have ever done but view from the top is unreal and the feeling of making it to the top is amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Putucusi Mountain

Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu: 4-Day Tour
Luton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I went to this mountain whilst on the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu and did not expect Putucusi Mountain to be what it was. The climb was steep and definitely takes a lot out of you, but the scariest thing for me was the LADDERS. To say I freaked out a bit would be an understatement. There are around 5 or 6 vertical ladders which you need to climb up with the aid of also a rope to the left of the ladder. One of the ladders in particular is incredibly high - several buildings so in fact.

The climb is dangerous and only with the encouragement of the group I was with from my Salkantay trek did I manage to make it to the top because for me it was terrifying. I definitely would not recommend this for anyone with vertigo or fear of heights, but otherwise do it! The rest of my group loved the thrill of this climb and I was very proud to make it to the top after all the panic and tears of fear (especially coming back down the ladders). I wouldnt recommend that anyone did it alone just in case something did happen, and I wouldnt recommend doing it in the rain as the ladder is difficult enough to tackle without rain.

Views from the top are incredible, the climb is free, and you have a nice view of Machu Picchu from the top.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Simone T

• Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Very strenuous hike. Amazing view!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My family and I (ages 25-55) hiked the mountain after a rainy morning, so the trail was a little slippery. With 1 bottle of water between 4 people and no big spray or food, we were under prepared for the hike. The ladders are scarier in person, so we just took them very slowly. I can't remember exactly how long the hike took us, but I would guess 3-4 hours both ways. Our group is quite athletic, if you don't hike or exercise regularly, I wouldn't advice this hike.

1 Thank Kayla W
Menlo Park, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Reality Check”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We knew before arriving that we would not go beyond the second set of stairs - and didn't. But up to these 70 degree verticals ladders, the hike is challenging but worthwhile. The sign in registry book at the bottom is z nice touch - but I really suspect this is for tracking hikers return each day as it really is that dangerous on the ladders!

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Scary but worth it”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The ladders were ridiculously intimidating, I almost didn't go on the hike but managed enough courage to do it. You don't clip into anything while climbing the ladders (most several stories tall) and once you are done with the series (5 or 6) you take a challenging hike (without guard rails again). Our guide (SAS tours) said we were the first group he had where everyone completed the hike!

Adrenaline/fear got us to the top and the view was fantastic. It was an impressive view of Machu Picchu. The hike wasn't crowded, so you had a more authentic experience than you will get on Machu Picchu or in the town.

Visited August 2013
Westminster, South Carolina, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Putucusi Mountain”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The view from Putucusi Mountain is unbelievable. A private view of Machu Picchu!! And it's free. It was not recommended by the staff at the hotel because of the slippery ladders during recent rains. We decided to do it anyway, and were just extra careful. There is great exposure and the hike is strenuous...just take your time and be careful.

1 Thank Angie C