“Charming Retreat”

Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We only stayed at this hotel one night and that was not enough to take advantage of all it had to offer.

We arrived after a long day of travel from Cusco and sight seeing at Machu Picchu. We ate a smashing lunch, ordering from the menu in the dining room of the hotel with its charm and views of the river. The breakfast buffet the next morning was extensive with some rather outstanding breads.

Our room had a bit of a damp wood smell, but was near the river. The beds were comfortable and the room was rustic and charming. The room was spotlessly clean. The shower was interesting but it worked well. The organic toiletries were a different experience for me, but not at all unpleasant.

The service of the staff was really great. I was having a great deal of difficulty with my knee and after all the climbing, I was spent. A staff person took notice and went from the lobby to reception to get our key. She helped me to our room, sent a porter with a bag of ice for my knee as well as the physical therapist from the spa to check it out. All of this extra attention without being asked. Wow!

If I could have planned the trip myself, I would have come to the hotel in the afternoon one day, arisen early the next morning and gone straight to Machu Picchu until early afternoon and then returned to the Inkaterra. This hotel is the perfect companion to Machu Picchu in that it offers a retreat like setting to meditate on the spiritual effects of the City in the Clouds.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank samplin
There are newer reviews for Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel

Reviewed 6 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in Feb.,'09. First, the positives: beautiful ambience, orchids, optional hiking and wildlife tours. Also, food is included in room rate, which helps make it more reasonable in price. That being said, my husband did get sick while staying here from one of the meals he ate. We did not have any food on the train coming into Aguas Caliente, nor did we have breakfast at our previous location, so we're sure it was from the restaurant. We talked to the manager and he did take care of us, so that was appreciated.
I would agree with previous poster that often times staff has "gone missing" and a person really has to look around and wait for attention or if they're in need of something. Also, the fire starter for our fireplace was damp twice and we needed dry fire starter. Getting some one to come with a new bowl was time consuming and aggravating when you just want a fire! They need to make sure it's dry, which I know is difficult in the jungle, but there has to be way of assuring this for guests.
As far as the spa goes, the steam hut is a wonderful experience and well worth the money. We did this twice over our 3 nights at the property. Our guide to Machu Picchu, which the property set up, was wonderful as well. However, the massage both my husband and I had was less than average and isn't that private. I wouldn't spend money on this service again. However, all being said, it has better value for the money than the Sanctuary. If I were going back, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Summerblue
Reviewed 2 June 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night during out trip to Machu Picchu. Overall, It was a fabulous stay. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. The food and service at the restaurant was exceptionally good. We used their outstanding tour guide Braulio for our adventures to Wayna & Machu Picchu. It isn't cheap but they justified the price with the excellent service they provided.

1  Thank mickbcm
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We stayed at the Inkaterra for two nights and do not know why anyone would want to stay at the top at the Sancturay. Even though you are near the train station, the setting is a cloud forest and the grounds are lovely. It is easy to get to Mach Picchu, but you leave the crowds and enjoy peace and quiet. We took the bird, orchid, and bear walks and found all to be interesting. Enjoyed a spa treatment, too. The decor of the lobby, bar area, and dining room is wonderful--lots of little nooks where you can enjoy conversation near the fire and lovely presentation of weavings, etc. on the walls. Pisco sours were excellent and food was good. The only downsize was our room. The bathroom was large and very nice, but the room itself was dark. I can't figure out why they put armchairs away from any source of light--even the window. For people who like to read this was disappointing. Overall, though, one of our best stays in Peru.

3  Thank 100db
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed at Inkaterra for one night before moving on to the much advertised hotel at the site of Machu Picchu. The only complaint was that the "home" office in Lima did not pass on my requests for a guided tour and sauna reservation. However, from the moment I stepped off the train, the staff at Inkaterra was so accommodating that all was forgotten. Our bags were taken from the platform directly to the room that had been reserved for us. We were escorted to a lobby where fresh drinks were served. The concierge greeted everyone and asked each group what activities they had requested. As soon as it was discovered that our activities were not reserved, he told us to go our room and relax and someone would call on us.
Within half an hour we were contacted by Betzy, who asked us to meet her in a lounge. Betzy was a dream come true! She agreed to guide us privately on a hike of Wayna Picchu and also on a twilight walk. We could not have had a better guide. Betzy had warned us of the strenuousness of hiking Wayna Picchu (we were not used to that type of exercise) but I ignored her. However, she was patient on the hike up. Letting us stop to take photos and ask questions. Since she was studying botany, she knew the names of all the plants and the local herbal remedies each was used for. She also knew all the names of the hundreds of orchids growing in and around the site.
The twilight walk was a spiritual and magical experience. The Andean Sauna was wonderful for opening up the pores and sinuses because it is made of local eucalyptus.
The room was spotless and private with a patio surrounded by plants. Hummingbirds were everywhere and would feed a few feet from guests. The service at the restaurant was exceptional. I had alpaca and it was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank when_in_r0me
Reviewed 12 May 2009

First, the pros:
Awesome after coming off trail to have soft pillows and hot water bottles
Amazing food that is included in rates, couldn't have been better.
Wonderful teatime with homemade treats and roaring fires
Lovely setting

The cons:
Awful service, it seems as though there is no manager to be found. Although there were plenty of staff, they all just stood around and had to be asked for things that should have been intuitive. Worse still, we would ask and have to ask multiple times and multiple people to get basic stuff (razor, a lunch menu, etc). The food which I mentioned was amazing but those serving it seemed to rush you at breakfast so they could clean up quickly, and this was not very relaxing.

The rooms were nice enough. Not 5 star for those of you used to 5 star stds, but for Peru I can see why they list this way. Rooms were nice but despite repeatedly asking them over our 3 day stay not to, housekeeping continued to leave the windows wide open. This is a jungle people! Bugs came in needless to say. Apologies but then they did it again the next day. Again, lack of management oversight.

They bill this place as a spa retreat for those just finishing the trail. We heard of a huge spa with yoga studio etc. What they didn't tell us is the spa is under renovation. So they've transformed a hotel room into a "spa" and it was weird. They have several people in there at a time separated only by a curtain so you can hear others grunting as they get massaged. Although the masseuse I had was fantastic, she also thought it was acceptable to interrupt services to go answer the phone (another oddity of not having a fully staffed spa so they had her doing double duty as therapist and receptionist, unfortunately the latter while the former was ongoing).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank rose1979
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days. The place is so beautiful and the staff is great. Although pricy, I would not have stayed anywhere else in town.
The room was spacious and very clean. If you do not like your room they will happily change it.
We really enjoyed the nature walk which included bird watching, the tea plantation and the orchids. The guide was knowledgeable and funny.
We also booked a trip to Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu through the hotel. Highly recommend doing this. It eliminates having to figure out how/where to get tickets and the guide will point out things throughout the day which you would normally not notice. They also bring a snack and fruit and give you lunch up at the ruins (in Sanctuary lodge).
In the price of your stay, breakfast, lunch and dinner is included. All day fresh tea and afternoon cookies and a welcome pisco sour!
I would stay here again. And only here. Aguas Caliente is very dirty and smelly.

2  Thank looniework
El MaPi by Inkaterra
El MaPi by Inkaterra
#5 of 24 in Aguas Calientes
Casa Andina Standard Machu Picchu

Been to Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel? Share your experiences!