“A boutique hostal”

Hotel La Cabana Machu Picchu
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our agent in Cuzco offered the hotel Inti in Aguas Calientes, but we ended at the one named La Cabana, which is offered as a boutique hotel. Do not know from where they have taken this category, they think that because they have put a tissue or a picture on a wall can be called boutique hotel and charge the rooms for $ 100 or more. This accommodation is not worth it and can be a 2** and not a 3*** as is sold. There odors and humidity in several of its rooms, we have changed rooms twice and they tried to charge us more for the change, which bothered us even more. We do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms to the street have more light, but it is aslo noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel overnight on our trip to Machu Pichhu. The staff was courteous, the room was clean and reasonably well appointed. The restaurant was efficient and the food was pretty good but not comparable to several other nearby options. I would rate it higher except for the fact that the toilet in our room was nonfunctional. Since this concern has been raised before, it appears the hotel and all of its employees are in denial about this problem (the person at the desk and a maintenance person? came up to the room, flushed the toilet, watched the water spin in the bowl but not clear and said it appears to be working. I do not know how many rooms have this issue but they should be removed from the available list until the problem is rectified.

A number of folks complain about the thin walls and noise but hey this is not the Ritz Carlton and the price is okay for the local market, You shouldn't travel in Latin America without bringing earplugs and personal wash clothes.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our group stayed here in October for our two-day stay at Machu Pichu. I recommend this as a convenient place for a trip to Machu Pichu. The rooms are small and in particular interior noise is noticeable but not really bothersome, since most people will probably be outside and at Machu Pichu most of their stay. The street the inn is located on is charming with many shops (don't miss the jewelry store across the street and up a few steps on the way to the hot springs--gorgeous jewelry and a delightful owner) and restaurants. the morning breakfast was quite delicious. This is not a luxurious place but it is comfortable, clean and very well located.

Room Tip: I had a balcony overlooking the street--gave the room more of an airy feeling but avoid if you don...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013

In reviewing any hotel in Aguas Calientes it is important to note that the town is a one night rip off on the way to Machu Pichu. It is expensive and tacky. The Hotel La Cabana was the most expensive hotel we stayed in in Peru in a three week trip. Most of the rooms have internal window only including ours, the rooms have a rustic decor with a ceiling that I can only describe as looking like wet gritty cement. The bathroom was remarkable in how small a room can be that includes a shower, wash hand basin and toilet; turning round had to be done carefully.
The bed was quite comfortable and the breakfast, starting at 5.00am for the first buses up to Machu Pichu was good enough.
This is not a hotel I would recommend, but then I would not recommend Aguas Calientes either.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013

'Safety and Sanitary' are important words in travel for us. Peru is not our home country and I had a brief problem with (sorry, a bit graphic here) traveler's diarrhea. When you are sick and having problems, you want to be able to wash your hands and clean up with plenty of HOT, soapy water...NOT to be had at this hotel in 'Aguas Calientes'! The bathroom sink was only plumbed with COLD water so this was not a 'temporary' situation! There was no place to even hang a used towel inside the bathroom (I guess we were supposed to wash in cold water and flap our hands to dry them--let alone wash your face at night)...the hotel room safe was permanently locked shut by a previous guest...everything was in a 'needs to be replaced' state except the towels were nicely embroidered with a big (scratchy) emblem of the hotel.
My guess is that most foreign folks are staying at Aguas Calientes to go hike and clumb at MachuPicchu and Waynapicchu. For us to meet the strict time frame required to use our tickets we had to get up about 4 AM (ugh - but worth it!). The hotel was noisy until about midnight so that gave us only 4 hours of pretty uninterrupted sleep.
I will give them credit for a nice breakfast buffet beginning at 5 AM so folks could get something to eat before running off to catch the bus to Macchupicchu! This was the saving grace of our stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pebbleskip
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

The room are like a budget inn circa 1970. You can hear people talking and smoking. There is no elevator so be prepared to carry your luggage up a few flights.

I had to negotiate with the front desk to get more towels - they told me I had 2 people so I got 2 towels. Actually, we booked it as 3 people. I asked for 4 more towels & the woman had to check with her manager, she offered me 1 & I begged for more. We got 2 more.

We got the box lunch to bring to Machu Picchu. They forgot to include the water. My friend requested vegetarian and got ham & cheese.

Don't stay here. Smoky, noisy, bad service, icky rooms & bad box lunch for a relatively hefty price for what it is. I would call this a dump.

PS I have no idea what hotel is in the main shot but I wish I had stayed there.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were booked by our tour company into another hotel but at the last minute shifted to this hotel. They told us it was an upgrade and were getting the suite. Well that happened. Very pleased with our room, spacious, clean and quiet. Yes the bathroom was small but how much room do you need? Hot water in shower was hit and miss but eventually worked. Gravity is an enemy to good water pressure but eventually the system pressurised and hot water flowed. Perhaps staff not as fluent in English as others might be but we managed. Location great for eating and not far from the station. Yes it's uphill but it's down hill going back. We rated this hotel four stars because of the hot water but would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple