“Decent hotel without hot water”
Review of Hotel Pachacuteq

Hotel Pachacuteq
Ranked #36 of 80 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Hotel "Pachacuteq Inn" is located in one of four streets going away from the main square of Aguas Calientes. A lot of mini-markets, restaurants, other hotels are near it. It seems to me that in this competition with them "Pachacuteq Inn" is outsider. According to my visual impression, the hotel wasn't even half-filled. I think it's because of high rates for accommodation - apparently, the owners and top management want to position their hotel above average level. The rooms, if to take into consideration its size, design, furniture and decor, are obviously more expensive than the hotels of tourist class. However, during two days we spent there, there was no hot water in our room - despite all the promises and assurances of receptionists. Although after our trip to Machu Picchu and climbing up to nearby mountains we needed warm shower more than anything else from other facilities, that the hotel could give us.
Besides this, one of two managers at the reception desk we were dealing with, did not know a single word in English.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Everything in Aguascalientes is expensive. This was included in part of our Lares trek. The rooms were nice and had private bathrooms. Showers were not overly hot. Had the most AMAZING nights sleep but possibly owing to the fact of not having had a bed the previous few nights (had been in a tent) Breakfast is included and is served early to accomodate people going to Machu Picchu

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Murr-Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our room was very cold, tile floors, and smelled of mildew or mold. It was very damp. The windows had a lot of condensation on them, there was no hot water except just at first. Otherwise, it was clean. Breakfast was bread, butter and jam only with hot tea or coffee. Also, quite convoluted with the room numbers. Not sequential, and up and over, then up again to find the 200 rooms (actually on the 3rd floor). Served its purpose, though

Room Tip: It warmth and hot water are important, pick some place else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Pachacuteq for one night as part of a GAP Adventures tour. It was the only disappointing hotel on our entire trip. On our arrival we were kept waiting while they tried to find our reservation.... eventually we were shown to our 'Matrimonial' room on the first/second floor. The decor of the entire hotel left a lot to be desired, but as seasoned travellers we happily looked past that, and just concentrated on the important things like a comfortable bed, hot water and convenience of the location. When the receptionist opened the door of room 222 the smell of mould and mildew was overpowering! I questioned the smell, and was told the room had not been aired for a couple of days. The smell was not that of musitness from an unaired room I assure you......
I requested an alternative room, even a twin room despite being on honeymoon, but was told the hotel was full, and this was not possible. It was obvious after taking a shower why the room smelt so bad, there is absolutely no ventilation at all, and the condensation clings to the tiled floor and ceiling, and the carpeted walls.....
Unfortunately a night of our honeymoon id'd rather forget!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 222!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NikkiP3011
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a G adventures tour. The hotel is located at the opposite end of town and is quite an uphill walk. We had a room on the first floor which was of average size and clean. Bathroom was tiny but otherwise ok. Couldn't get TV to work and staff were not helpful in resolving this. They served us breakfast at 430am which was simple but fine. It is close to hot springs and several beauty spas. We slept well with no noise and overall our stay was ok.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Kate P
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed at Pachacuteq as part of a tour with 10 students and four adults. We didn't choose the hotel. I read the reviews before the trip, and was ready for the worst at this place. It wasn't as bad as some of the reviews sounded, but I don't plan to stay there again.

The whole place is, in fact, a bizarre maze of hallways and stairs. There are signs that point to groups of rooms, so I did find every room my students were in without too much trouble, but I did wonder if I was lost a few times. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for people with knee problems, and forget about wheelchair access.

The rooms weren't that bad, actually. They do have carpeted walls, but I didn't see any mold or notice any musty smells. The whole town is constantly humid, being in the cloud forest, but the hotel wasn't bad. Had plenty of hot water, too. Bed wasn't great, but I did sleep pretty well.

Any noises in the hotel seem to echo through the whole place. A couple of times, I thought my students were being rowdy right down the hall. When I ventured into the labyrinth to tell them to quiet down, I found that it was actually some super-excited NBA Finals fans in another part of the hotel. Strange acoustics.

The front desk was my least favorite part. They obviously didn't like our group, and totally lied to me. I asked about the reviews I read that said they turned out the hallway lights at night, they assured me that the lights stay on. However, sure enough, about 10pm, they walk through the hallways and turn off all the lights. I had to go find a couple of students, so I ventured into the hallway and found the light switches as I went. On my way back, they had all been turned off again. The staff was not friendly or helpful to us. They were slow to answer and seemed to try to avoid us most of the time. Maybe they just don't like student groups, so it may be different with solos travelers of couples, but I don't plan to go back.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the front so you don't get lost in the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Need2TravelGA
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Simple but adequate hotel, mainly booked by tourgroups.
Check out is early in the morning.
Hence, when -after returning from Machu Picchu- people have to wait for an evening train, the reception/lounge area is very crowded. Nowhere else to go !

A disadvatage is that the hotel is located at the top end of the main street: a long climb to get there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple