“El Mapi Very Nice”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
New York City, New York
“El Mapi Very Nice”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The El Mapi Hotel in Aguas Calientes was the best hotel hands down on our tour.

This hotel met all of my expectations and I was relieved to have been booked here. The rooms were of good size with comfy beds, good storage, nice amenities, plenty of light and the views were just fantastic. There was an electric heater in the room but it was not necessary.

I kept saying what a wonderful idea to have a hotel right here that did not clash with the surroundings but blended into the overall landscape. The owners obviously planned for a wonderful guest experience. The views of course were just amazing. (I had to say that again).

In the restaurant, dinner and breakfast were both good with plenty of items to choose from. All were well prepared, fresh and tasty Drinks too were great (wine and Pisco sours). The atmosphere was calming and uncrowded even when the restaurant was full at dinner time.

I bought a beautiful handbag in the hotel's boutique that was a great price for the quality. There were good selections of locally made merchandise,well made and beautiful.

This hotel's management has found the secret to keeping up a great property, with also great food and unbeatable service.

Overall if I visited AG again, the El Mapi would be my place to stay.

Room Tip: First floor rooms in the second building walk out to the courtyard and the dining room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Travelbabe
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at El MaPi by Inkaterra, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at El MaPi by Inkaterra and that you keep great memories of your visit.

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Peru!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Guatemala
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was comfortable
With all the necessary things like a welcome cocktail, umbrella, free wi fi but in the lobby and restaurant was good when I went to my room 102 it went of terrible reception so I could not use it in my room so that is bad. In the middle of the town nothing to do but walk around and shop for souveniers Or have a drink. We came with kids so no nightlife for us. The beds were comfy hot shower and direct tv with all the channels I wanted to watch.

Stayed January 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The hotel was quite nice and is probably the correct choice for Aguas Calientes. The hotel has a cold minimalistic ambience (not in keeping with the region), probably well suited to younger travellers, but probably outside of their price range.
The rooms are small but adequate. One bonus is we had a real shower & not a bath come shower.
The staff are friendly enough.
The breakfast was really poor & the coffee - be warned is pitch black. Dinner was average & you have to book a seating time.
It is right in the main touristic road & close to the square. Close to the bus and train station.
Beware of restaurants that charge a service fee & then a 'tourist fee of around $8. Our 3 pizzas & 2 beers came to $33. Probably the best restaurant is across the road - but pricey.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rainer S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after our four day hike on the Inca Trail but in retrospect I would have skipped Aguas Caliente and moved directly onto our next hotel in Urubamba, which we could have arrived at within 2-3 hours.

The man who checked us in was formal and cold. Somehow, we booked two twin beds for our honeymoon, which could not be rectified because they were booked full. The complimentary pisco sour was tiny but tasty--go for a full-sized house special. Our room was immediately outside the dining patio and there was a local rooster that never stopped crowing and the building next door is under construction. Our room was damp and smelled faintly of cigarettes but after 4 days on the trail we were just happy to have a hot shower and clean toilet. Not the best value but one of the only games in town, which is how they can get away with the price. Fine if you want to take the bus up to Machu Picchu early but not worth staying the extra night if you hiked in like we did.

Stayed December 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night after a day spent in Machu Picchu. We were very impressed upon arrival as it was a very stylish place. We found the customer service to be great and had no issues.
The rooms were lovely and the beds were very comfortable. The very good looking bar tender (we forgot his name but he was working on the night of 18 Dec) was excellent - he's probably made the best caprioska cocktails I've had (and that's a lot in my lifetime). He was good to talk to and spoke excellent English which was refreshing (you would think he was American).

The only downside we can think of is that it is quite noisy in the mornings. The walls and doors don't block out the noise from the people who I assume are leaving for an early morning visit to Machu Picchu. You can quite clearly hear the doors slamming and people talking early which kept me awake for the better part of the morning.

Other than that, we found our stay to be very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christe3n
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The reviews I read seemed to have nailed the place. I wanted to share my negative experience. Upon checkout the employee tried to short me change. No, this wasn't an accident, he thought he could get away with it. In truth I found this happened a few times in peru, so traveler beware. I just would hope that one of the better hotels in this city would hire honest people. Happy travels and stay safe!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jesse S
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at El MaPi by Inkaterra, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our property.

We are sorry to hear about your experience and we apologize for any confusion caused at your check out. We take special interest in our recruitment and training process in order to guarantee all of our guests with a great experience during your stay. This situation was most likely caused by a sporadic confusion, but we will review our processes in order to avoid any similar situation in the future.

We would like to thank you again for your comments and for giving us the opportunity to keep improving our services. We would be glad to welcome you again in a next occasion.

Best regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 December 2013

3 Blocks from the Train Station to get back to Cusco, 5 Blocks from the Bus stop to get to Macha Piccu, and what feels like a million miles away from Peru just when you have had enough. We really enjoyed the modern feel of the hotel. The staff was so nice. Espeically a bartenders. Who am I kidding.. the front desk staff was wonderful too. They took care of everything we asked for. I wish I had asked them to dry our clothes after the hike in the rain. I bet they would have. What a great experience. Okay, just to be critical, because we have to to be... the food was not as great as the hotel should have. For a place this amazing.. the food should be better. There, see, I can be objective.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends