2,495 results
All reviewsmodern hotelmachu picchuthe busincluded dinnerfree pisco sourscentral locationbreakfast and dinnermiddle of towninca trailshower curtainrestaurants and shopsthe main streetcourse dinnerhotel restaurantyour luggagesmall townloved this hotel
Reviewed 29 May 2014

this was a larger hotel than the others we stayed in so a lot more people and noisier. the rooms were sufficient but hot and we were there in March. they dod bring me a floor fan though which was great. the price was about the cheapest I could find in AC for a hotel but all meals were included. Breakfast was ok but dinner was so so. we even went out one night for my b-day and gave up the free meal. our friends had a room on the lower level and it was a lot quieter and cooler than ours. but over all it was a nice place and very clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel was quite a treat. The architecture was very interesting as they used stone and branches to provide an outdoor ambiance. The rooms were clean, The bed very comfortable and service was exceptional. The staff was very helpful and its in a great location close to the train station, nice shops and restaurants. The hotel also provided a nice buffet with waffle and omelet station.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have never given 1 star to a review, but in the case of El Mapi, it is deserved. We just returned from our trip to Peru and I couldn't wait to review this hotel. I went with low expectations to begin, based on what I had read previously about Aquas Caliente. We had booked the hotel through a tour company that was organizing our trip to Machu Picchu. We paid quite a bit extra to get a "double upgrade" to stay at El Mapi. When we arrived at the hotel we were completely soaked after hiking on the Inka trail all day in the rain. Based on what I had read on Tripadvisor, I requested a room that was not under construction. I was told the construction would be done by 5:00. My concern was not the noise, but the room itself. They room they gave us was obviously under construction. The sink was a piece of plywood and the mirror was being held up by two blocks of wood. The floor was wet and they had a fan to try to dry the floor. There were no towels in the bathroom and the walls weren't painted. The lock on the door seemed temporary, as it was just a push button and it was easily unlocked by jiggling the handle. In addition, the room had 2 twin beds even though we were supposed to have a king. All the rooms on the hall seemed to be in the same shape.

We went back to the front desk and told them it was completely unacceptable to put us in a room that was under construction, especially after I had specifically talked to them about it. After some time, they did move us to a different room. While the 2nd room was better, the rooms are clearly poorly constructed. The window in the bathroom didn't close and the sink area was constantly wet because of it from the rain. It seems as if they are going for a minimalist style, but some kind of a soap dish in the shower would be nice. I had to keep the soap on the sink, therefore getting the floor wet each time I reached for it.

The bed seemed comfortable when I laid down on it while above the sheets. There was no top sheet on the bed and the comforter didn't seem like one that could be washed. When going to sleep, once I got under the covers I felt something. After taking the comforter off, I saw there was quite a bit of dirt on the sheets and hair. While this was disgusting, we were so tired that we brushed it off and tried to go to sleep. The sound-proofing is truly awful. While going to sleep, it seemed as if there was a band playing music in our room from the music across the street. We were woken up numerous times throughout the night by people talking in the hallway - the voices echo and are therefore magnified.

It seems as if many people who stay here pay in advance as a part of a tour group. This seems like pure greed to put people in rooms that aren't fit to be slept in. They know you've already paid, so they get away with it. They aren't looking for repeat customers since I'm sure they are aware that the great majority will only visit here once and only stay for one night.

On the positive side, the breakfast that came with the room was very good. The staff seemed nice and it's not they're fault that management has made extremely poor decisions by placing people in unfinished rooms.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BadcopBubby
Reviewed 26 May 2014

So this is the place that looks awesome to stay at but doesn't deliver quite like you expect. Granted they were doing construction and seem to be expanding while we were there and that led to the noise, it just didn't have the cozy feel I anticipate in rooms. This place had a high scale rating, and for the area of course it did, but didn't provide that higher scale sense. This room was cold and had just a space heater for heating that didn't work. The room was clean and served it purpose well as did the bathroom, but those small conveniences you look for (like a shelf in the shower to put your toiletries) were not there. One side of the room is all window which was wonderful! Looking down on the town right below and seeing the activity was great- however we had much difficulty closing the curtains when we didn't need everyone else looking in on us. We had complimentary dinner and breakfast included and it worked for us but the food is nothing to speak of. If money is not a concern, I would recommend going elsewhere for your food as this place is certainly lacking in that department.

Room Tip: Stairs, stairs and more stairs!! If you'd like easy access, request a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked this hotel through a Machu Picchu tour we set up for one night. I booked the tour about a year out and at the time it seemed like the best option.

The Hotel itself is in the perfect location. It is a very short walk from the train station. The staff picked us up there and walked us to the lobby. It is located half way up the main tourist hill with all the restaurants and shops. The hotel itself is beautiful, but large. The main problem with our stay was that there is major construction going on. When I booked, this wasn’t the case. However, it did not really affect our stay as we got in later afternoon, and checked out by 5:30am. If you are planning on staying here any longer than this, I would recommend either confirming you have a room away from the construction or do not stay here.

The rooms where basic but comfortable. There was a king bed, TV and shelving. The Bathroom was basic with a sink, toilet and shower stall. The room felt unfinished. The window in the bathroom was not in right. The curtains in the room where not long enough and were different lengths (like 6 inches off) The room had floor to ceiling window but it overlooked the construction. The memo on our bed said it was from Monday to Saturday 7:30-6:00pm I believe.. However this was a Sunday and it was going full on. It was loud and the workers could see directly in your room. That main construction was done while we slept but later the evening I could hear someone above me hammering (I sleep with ear buds, and it kept me up).

The hotel offered us a free Pisco Sour each, as well as breakfast, and to our surprise, dinner. I’m not sure if that was normal or if they were doing the dinner due to the construction issues. The bar area was really nice so we hung out here and got our Pisco Sour (yum). For dinner they offered two seating times at either 6:30 or 9:00 I believe. The dinner was a lot better than I pictured. It was a three course dinner (you get to choose courses) and the food presentation was really well done. If we had of had something like that here in Toronto it would have cost us $50 or more. Breakfast was also very good. They had a huge selection. Omelet station, cereals, meats and cheeses, pastries and breads, fruits and of course, coffee and tea. The best breakfast of our trip.

The hotel was able to store our bags for the day while we went to Machu Picchu which was nice. We just got a ticket and stopped back to grab them on the way to the train station.

I would recommend staying here, however I would suggest contacting the hotel to find out about the construction. If you are only sleeping here briefly you should not be affected, but if you are staying longer I would consider elsewhere for now. However once the construction is done and the hotel is complete I can see this place being the best option in Aguas Caliente.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family