“Great hostel in Machu Picchu hostel !”

Ecopackers Machupicchu
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Super hostel to spend your night before going to the Machu Picchu !
Great location, great dorms, good prices.
The staff is super nice and welcoming. They really pay attention to your needs and help you for any questions.

Breakfast From 4am to 8am and included, which is very convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014
moritas99, Owner at Ecopackers Machupicchu, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Dear guest, thank you very much for staying with us and for your positive comments, please come back and visit us soon and recommend us to your friends and family, receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Team

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at both ecopackers one in Cuzco and the other in Machu Picchu town (Aguas Calientes). In both the people is very nice and helpful. The hostel is okay if you are young or you just want a cheap alternative. There was a party whole night at ecopackers Cuzco and I thought it was great and I was worried if I could sleep with the noise because of the band. The thing is I stayed at the only room thas has one queen bed and own bathroom and it has a division made of glass, I closed it and I didn't hear anything and I slept like a saint. If you go in the sharing bedrooms and want to sleep early I think that will be a problem. Before to book make sure how is your room, if you could get the room with private bathroom or if it is fine to share. The bathrooms were clean and the people that stayed there very friendly (mostly young tourist). They have a restaurant in case you don't want to go out to eat and I had soroche, altitude illness, they made me a asparagus soup to help me to feel better, plus I don't eat meat, so that was the only alternative. I had a good experience at the ecopackers at Machu Picchu town but they were still putting it together, I think is new, people very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ecopackers Cuzco has only one double bed room with bathroom and another double bed plus three more s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wow this place is great. It is hard to find - down the far end of the railway lines. The staff are friendly - Jose was amazing always helping out & offering advise. The rooms are super comfortable & the bunk beds are large. The wi-fi is good. It is a little noisey with the railway - however due to the size of Aguas Calientas, every hotel/hostel has the same problem. The staff do have signs up advising guests to let them know if they are light-sleepers, so a solution can be organised. I am a light sleeper and had absolutely no problems sleeping during hours of 11pm - 7am. Only during day hours could I hear the trains.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Thinking of saving some money in notoriously pricey Aguas Calientes by staying in a private room at well-reviewed Ecopackers Machupicchu? Hear me now: don’t do it.

We’ve stayed in our fair share of hostels in Europe, Mexico, and Guatemala, both in dorms and in private rooms, but this one is really something else. Noise coming into our room from every direction. The complimentary earplugs (thoughtful, but never a great sign to arrive in a room and see these…) dulled it slightly but were no real match for the music coming from the lobby directly below and the bar directly above, which was simultaneously blasting an action movie. Things quieted down nicely between about 11pm and 4am, when a cacophony of banging, dragging, crashing, yelling, and pounding of feet on the stairs started up. It seemed to relate to opening up the kitchen for breakfast but sounded more as though the place was being reconstructed from scratch. Did I also mention the light flooding into the room from both the hallway and reception area?

I am definitely not one to shy away from budget travel (it’s pretty much the only way I go), but seriously: in this case, pay more. Go elsewhere. Sleep.

Two things on the plus side : 1) the strongest and hottest shower I’d had in Peru. 2) Leaving to catch a 5:30am train felt like an absolute pleasure.

Room Tip: A dorm at the very bottom of the hostel might offer some quiet. Absolutely nothing on the second flo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest, thank you for your productive comments, we have since worked on the short comings that you mention, please receive our warm regards from the Ecopackers Team

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ecopackers is the best option when going to Aguas Calientes. This was my second time staying in Aguas Calientes and we much preferred this hostel which is close to the train station and bus station. The customer service was the best have had in Peru in awhile. The staff spoke english and were very accommodating. I had left a souvenir I bought for my mom in the hostel and one of the worker ran to catch me at the train station to give it to me! The food served at the hostel was also a great deal compared to everywhere else in Aguas Calientes. Overall I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone going to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We chose this hostel based on glowing reviews on TripAdvisor...big mistake. We stayed in the private 4-bd room next to the reception area. As mentioned by some other reviewers, you are greeted by a stench of mold and mildew the moment you step into the room. This was confirmed by the black mildew on the shower curtains and the flooded floors. Definitely have your flip flops ready when staying at this hostel. Also beware of the power outlets; I fried my 110V charger when plugging into one of the outlets. We only stayed one night and did not hear any trains; however, a group of people were chatting in front of the reception desk, which meant it was right outside our room. Given that we were trying to get up at 3AM to go to MaPi, that was highly annoying. While it was great that breakfast was served at 4AM, it was spartan and consisted of bread, some weird orange juice, jam, butter, and a bottle of milk with a fly inside.

On the good side, the staff was friendly, allowed us to store our bags after checking out in the morning while we climbed MaPi, and Wifi was performing well. The bed, leaving the smell aside, was fairly comfortable.

Note that they charge 5Sol to rent a towel and add a 5% surcharge if you need to pay with a credit card.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 April 2014

There was a large blood stain from somebody having there period on the sheet of the bed when I checked in. It was clear they never washed the sheet. I made them change my rooms, but I would highly recommend staying anywhere else.

Also, when most people are planning to wake up early to get to Manchu Picchu there is no reason the bar should play loud music until midnight. It was very hard to fall asleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
moritas99, Manager at Ecopackers Machupicchu, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016