“Great view”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Hostal El Santuario
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The room was clean but small and plain. However, the view of the river was exceptional. We left the window open to the sound of rushing water all night and it was the best night's rest I had during my stay in Peru. The continental breakfast was good also.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyTravelerCathie

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in the quad room (2 separate rooms a twin and a matrimonial). It was nice and had a great view of the Urubamba river! It was a little loud. Also, DO NOT leave your windows or doors to the balcony open. Bugs will come in. Also it was a little far from the main areas of town. Aguas Calientes is so small, though, that it doesn't really matter, and is probably quieter (except for the river). The room was clean and the beds were warm. Wifi worked about 60% of the time. Overall it is ok nothing too special.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RyanCa11
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We got into Aguas Calientes pretty late at night, and when we walked into our room and turned on the light a HUGE bug came flying out at us. After about 10 minutes of trying to coerce it out of our room, we finally were able to get into the room and relax. Because we got in so late and left really early to catch the sunrise at Machu Picchu we didn't really get to enjoy the view, but if we had some extra time I would have loved to relax on the balcony and look out over the river. The room was big but basic - which was exactly what we needed for our short time there. The shower curtain did fall down while taking a shower, so the room could definitely use a few upgrades, but there is free luggage storage and free breakfast and coffee/tea, so all the basic amenities you might need are there. If you're like us and are just looking for a place to stay for a night before heading out to Machu Picchu then the location of this hotel can't be beat - a 2 minute walk from the bus station and a 5 minute walk to the train station!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The hotel itself is very basic. If you are looking for a "nice place" to stay, this probably isn't it. Not because it isn't nice, but because it is very basic. I might have opted for a slightly better class of hotel up the street more in the heart of AC.

However, I will say that the staff is very friendly and accommodating. For some, the location is probably great because it's the very first (or last) hotel as you go over the bridge on the ride up to Machu Picchu.

The rooms are clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NancyK2
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The carpet was all ripped, the bed was very small for my husband and I...a junior double, It was hard and creeked every time you moved. It was a dark, dank room. The shower was filled with mosquito's they leave the window open. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff was not very friendly...we stayed in some amazing hotels on our trip to Peru...this was not one of them.

Room Tip: DONT stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AJ0208
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Atmosphere/Location: I strongly suspect a river view would be much nicer than our view of scaffolding and train tracks. Fortunately, we weren't looking to sleep in or have any afternoon naps because between the noise from the train and the noise from whatever was going on with the scaffolding, that would never happen. The hotel is on the edge of town rather than smack in the center. The town is tiny so unless you have mobility issues or hate walking, it's probably central enough. Although when we walked to the train station with our packs on our backs, it felt like a much longer walk!

The room: adequate but nothing to remember. The shower had hot water and that's mostly what we cared about after several days of trekking. The sheets on the bed were some kind of poly/cotton blend that wasn't awesome.

Common areas/amenities: There was wi-fi access throughout the hotel and a lounge with a bar, although I never saw anyone sitting in/serving at the bar so i don't know if it was in use. Some fun baroque religious art decorates the common areas. Breakfast was pretty generous. Warning--the sign that says "strong coffee" is serious. I have never had coffee that dark. I like dark/strong coffee but this was unlike anything I have ever encountered. I just kept adding more and more milk! Check out is kind of early but they will store your bags for you.

Bottom line: Aguas Calientes is overpriced in general so I get the feeling this place was probably as good as any other. But compared to the service and quality we got in Cusco and Lima for the exact same price...well, there's no comparison.

Room Tip: River view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I had wanted a room river view and got it, but did not factor in that the river was in high water and had non stop river noise all night for my 1 night stay. That's travel I suppose. Had top floor room so was glad only had my overnight size bag to lug up as no lift. Bus dropped me right by hotel door after first MP entry. Hotel staff took my bag back up to the railway station for me which was great - saved me collecting it after my second MP entry trip. Thanks as I was knackered. Breakfast was OK. Would I say here again if I'm lucky enough to make it back? Yes.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo