“Fantastic establishment!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro
“Fantastic establishment!”
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Situaded near the railway station to Cusco and the bus station to Machu Picchu, by a walk.
Rooms are very large, comfortable and clean. The ornaments used inside are peruvian craftsmanship.
The restaurant offers delicious peruvian food. Be right to stay near the balcony, to have a beautiful view of the river.
The staff is very pleasant and incredible professional.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rehoboth MA
Reviewed 16 January 2010

This hotel is not cheap but you get what you pay for. The service and rooms were great. Breakfast, included, was a little disappointing as it was not the usual buffet but rather a al carte and somewhat limited for a five star. Dinner was included and though the food was excellent, the dishes did not seem to mesh.
The layout of the hotel is very nice and the third floor bar has a great view of the river. The hotel was spotless and the rooms were very funky with new modern fixtures, etc.
There was no garden.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My family and I (two adults, two kids under 7) decided to stay at the Sumaq based upon the positive reviews on TA. I booked through their website, and got a 50% discount off the second night through an online promotion, which included full breakfast for the four of us and full dinner for two adults. We had a superior deluxe double room on the second floor with a direct view of the Urumbamba River. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. There was ample room for everybody. As I said, the room faced the river which is quite amazing, but for those who do not enjoy the sound of rushing water, you may want to request an interior room. I found the sound to be quite relaxing, while others may find it to be a bit loud. I and my family had two very good night's sleep.

The staff is extremely attentive without being overbearing. A glass of iced coca tea welcomed us along with small cakes and cookies as it was tea time when we arrived. A complimentary pisco sour prior to dinner on our first night was very good. The food at the hotel's restaurant can best be described as "novoandino" and is very good. A full three-course dinner was included with our stay (beverages are extra). I highly recommend the classical trout ceviche with rocoto chiles - fresh, spicy and delicious! The breakfast buffet was quite extensive, with everything from fresh fruit and yogurt to eggs, bacon and andean toast made with quinoa.

This hotel is in a great location, has excellent food and service and is suitable for all types of travelers (singles, couples, families, etc.). The hotel is quite eco-conscious by recycling and minimizing waste - even the architecture pays homage to the Inca way of building by working with the existing environment - check out the partially-open stairwell built against the rock. If we are ever lucky enough to get back to Machu Picchu again, we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RockyMountainMary
Washington DC
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Our family of 5, including children ages 5, 10, and 15, stayed at the Sumaq for 2 nights. The hotel was absolutely beautiful with a very spacious and welcoming lobby area. Our children enjoyed the hotel's tea and cakes in the afternoon, especially after the long day of hiking at Machu Picchu. The staff made sure that we had a large, comfortable room with beds for all, arranged a wonderful guide complete with bus pick-up right at the hotel for our day at Machu Picchu, even loaned us umbreallas for a rainy afternoon. The food was superb with an extensive menu. We loved our time at the Sumaq!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I stayed one night at Sumaq recently and loved it! The staff was great (they went and got my MP and bus tickets for me), the location was convenient (no reason to pay double to stay at Sanctuary Lodge unless you want to be first in line for Wayna Picchu tickets....Sumaq is first hotel back on road to Aguas Calientes, my meals were included (although only had one there and it was ok), which I wasn't aware of when I booked - they also packed a breakfast and lunch for me on the day that I caught the first bus to MP at 5:30am. I had a massage the first day at the spa (the 90 minute one) and it was so AMAZING that I got another one the second day after another long day at Machu Picchu. The rooms were nice, very comfy bed and great view of Urabamba River from balcony.

The only downside was the road out front was under construction so it was muddy and unattractive directly in front of hotel. But it really didn't bother me and the workers kept reasonable hours. The hotel is only like a year old so I suspect the construction work will be done soon. See photo below.

I definitely recommend this hotel if you don't want to pay double for the Sanctuary Lodge, but still want a nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2010

The location is great - right on the Urabamba River and the last hotel in the river valley before you bus up the mountain to the World Heritage Site. My guest room, however, was only average and was nothing special except for its riverside view from an upper floor. I spent 2 nights here while visiting the ruins.

I did not use the business or spa facilities but the real surprise for me was the restaurant with its excellent menu, high quality food, contemporary presentation and superb service.

While I would recommend this hotel, the next time I visit MP, and there will be a next time, I will stay at the Sanctuary Lodge on top of the mountain for at least one night.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Albany, NY
Reviewed 28 November 2009

My husband and I, part of a group of 9 family members traveling together, stayed at the Sumaq Hotel in Aguas Calientes on the night of November 11, 2009. Our lodging had been arranged through the Peru For Less agency.

While the relatively few hours that we stayed at the Sumaq really did not provide an adequate amount of time to fully assess the hotel, throughout our stay we were impressed by the maintenance and appearance of the Sumaq as well as by the superb service provided by all the hotel staff members. That outstanding service began when, upon our arrival, we left our luggage with the Sumaq porters at the train station, and it extended to the time that our luggage was delivered to the station for our departure from Aguas Calientes.

Special mention should be made of the Sumaq's maitre d'hotel, Erick. He and his staff made us feel both pampered and at-home -- and they were most helpful in dealing with the special dietary needs of some in our group. The quality of the food preparation and presentation at the Sumaq (where both breakfast and dinner were included in our room rate) was worthy of a dining room in a major city and quite a surprise in the isolated hamlet of Aguas Calientes.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
#1 of 3 in Machu Picchu
Casa Andina Standard Machu Picchu

Been to SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel? Share your experiences!