“Unpleasant stay, nice staff”
Review of Wiracocha Inn

Wiracocha Inn
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The only reason I dont rank this hotel as "terrible" is the nice and welcoming staff.
I stayed just one night there in order to get on time to the sunrise in Machu Picchu.
Luckily I was too tired to complain/change room/change hotel and went straight to bed.
On my way to bed I could neither miss nor ignore the smashed mosquito on the wall.
The room was unclean, unpleasant and unwelcoming.
The staff, on the other hand, was very nice, polite and helpful.
I don't know what is the reason for this negligence but this place seems to acceptable in 2 conditions: 1. That you stay there not more than one night. 2. That you are very tired after a day of travelling and you fall right to bed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at night, after a long day at the Sacred Valley and a 3 hours ride on the train, and left early morning to Machu Picchu.
In these few hours we slept in a small but clean room. Water was cold but we told the manager and we got hot water. Even they forgot to pick us up from the train station, as they said, the town is not big and everybody is friendly.
Breakfast was included and was very good. We left at 8 am to MAPI and the hotel storage our luggage until we came back. Very friendly people, that's why it was my 2nd time staying here.This was one of the cheapest options we found on high season. We couldn't expect a Ritz Carlton.
I can say that on our short stay, both times, we never had any problem. It was a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank mejiruiz
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Wiracocha in a good, reasonable choice in a location known for expensive hotels. It is conveniently located near the cafe-restaurant area of Aguas Calientes (Macchu Pichu). No frills. Warm and friendly staff. My wife and I differ: I liked this place more than she. But we both agree that it is primarily "functional." If you wan more frill and comfort, this might not be the best spot. But I liked it and liked the sound of the waterfall outside of our room. It felt something like a mountain cabin.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gonzo50
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This family-run hotel offers breathtaking views of Aguas Calientes river and mountains, while being close enough to the central market, train station and several "street food" sites. After getting used to the uphill track from the train to the inn, we were prepared for the Machu Pichu experience by an excellent guide located for us by the managers of Wiracocha Inn, Victor and Deborah. Jair, our guide, met us in the morning darkness to take us to the bus queue which was already quite long. Our experience of Machu Pichu was enhanced by the comforts offered at the inn which was clean, newly refurbished and the hospitable.

Room Tip: Not all rooms offer view of the river and mountains
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lengualynda
Reviewed 20 July 2013

we found the place on the web and booked 2 nights. It's a mostly new place with nice tile floors and very reasonable rooms. Location was excellent, We had a view of the Aguas Caliente river and saw some water birds at sunrise. Proprietors speak almost no English, but were more than willing to help when we had a problem with our tickets to the Machu Picchu site. They called up their friend who speaks English and she helped translate our complicated problem. Overall experience was very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven D
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel is excellent for the money if a person does not need to have an English-speaking host. It may seem small, but I had a problem with some medicinal shampoo being identified as trash (I may have contributed tot he confusion). When I told the staff about my problem, they shifted into high gear, dumped out the day's trash and recovered my shampoo. The hotel was very well located near the train station and beside the river, and it had as comfortable a bed as I've ever slept in at a hotel. A good breakfast was included in the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed one night at the Wiracocha Inn as part of our trekking package with Alpaca Expeditions. We arrived about 10pm, and left for MP at 6am, so our experience is only about 8 hours (mostly spent sleeping). Check in was easy, and the room was surprisingly large. Decent bath with hot water. The windows were open when we got to our room, but the clerk closed them for us and we didn't notice any bug issues. The river is right next to the building so you hear it even with the windows closed, but that didn't affect us since it's just constant white noise. Breakfast was simple, just yogurt, fruit and tea/coffee. The hotel kindly kept our bags for us for the day while we explored Machu Picchu. We never were able to connect to the Wifi (kept saying wrong password despite double-checking with staff). Overall, it was exactly what we needed - a budget stay for a quick night with a hot shower.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple