“Great breakfast, mediocre location, but Annoying Night Noise”
Review of Hatun Wasi

Hatun Wasi
Hatun Wasi
Ranked #17 of 73 Speciality Lodging in Huaraz
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed at Hatun Wasi for 11 nights. There are many attributes to recommend Hatun Wasi, but a couple notable negatives:
On the plus side: great breakfast options made fresh each morning. The hotel is very clean, my room (#306) was well appointed. One of the best showers in Latin America: HOT and great pressure and you can indulge yourself for 20 minutes, especially nice after an 11-mile hike in Huascaran National Park. Hatun Wasi books four different tours from its front desk at reasonable prices. Pleasant staff. I arrived at 5:00 a.m. from an overnight bus from Trujillo, and the staff just got me into my room, fed me breakfast later, and we handled the payment for the 11 days later. The hotel felt safe and secure. The WiFi was generally fast and reliable to my room.

On the negative side: the location is not great. There are no decent restaurants nearby. There are a couple cafes, but the coffee in one was terribly bitter. So plan on walking nearly 2 km to near the Plaza de Armas to eat in a restaurant, and even then the choices are skimpy. (Hatun Wasi has its own restaurant menu with sandwiches and the like, but because so few guests stayed there in late April, the restaurant had few menu ingredients and were only serving the complimentary breakfast, nothing else.)

One of the staff let himself into my room one day while I was still in the room, no knock at the door, nothing. I had to ask him to always knock first before entering. He came to clean my room, but since we have to check our room keys in at the front desk, a quick glance would have told him my key was not there and I was probably still in my room.

The BIGGEST NEGATIVE of Hatun Wasi is the NIGHT NOISE, particularly an issue from APRIL TO JULY. Apparently there is a festival in Huaraz in July in which drum/flute bands participate and compete. Unfortunately, one of the 10-15 person bands practices on the street directly in front of the hotel. During my 11-night stay, the band practiced Monday-Friday nights from 8:00-10:00 p.m., and to after 11:00 p.m. my last night. Forget about blocking the noise; with my earbuds playing music, my earplugs in, and another pair of Bose headphones on, I could still hear the LOUD DRUMMING AND FLUTING, and since they are just starting 3 months of nightly practice this is NOT PLEASANT MUSIC. IT IS NOISE. What is worse, I talked to another guest who had lived near there for four years and always stays at Hatun Wasi -- he said that the last month or so before the big festival, the band practices to 4:00 a.m. some mornings and he got NO SLEEP. So beware: I would not stay at Hatun Wasi between May-July, if you want a good night’s sleep. Too bad, it is a pretty good hostel otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
HatunWasiHostel, Gerente at Hatun Wasi, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear James, thanks for the comments provided to our hostel!
For the group of guys who used to practice the typical dance in the street to religious festivities are over a few days ago and not until July.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

On the surface this is a very good value hostel. We stayed here twice for 3 nights and then two. It is clean and comfortable, hot water, good wi-fi and cable TV . The setting for breakfast on the terrace is stunning .Breakfast is good with plenty of choice too. Apart from Saturday night it is also quiet, on Saturday the nearby venue has loud music till the early hours.

If only the service they offered was as good. Twice there was either no breakfast or so chaotic we didn't want to eat it, the person who makes breakfast just didn't turn up. Cleaning and emptying bins was sporadic too, when we asked what had gone wrong the excuse was the cleaner had forgotten-they only had 6 guests. On one occasion we had to wait 45 minutes to get back into the hostel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2012

A cozy place to spend a few days before going up to the mountains, comfortable rooms with private bath, breakfast very good and varied served on the terrace of the hostel.
At the reception offer daily tours to the tourist destinations in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We were staying there for a month so we tried to work out a deal with them; they had us stay in dorms until our private room was ready. First, it seemed very nice, then 5 days later they asked for more money. We agreed as we thought the value was good. Then they gave us our "private room" which in reality was a closet sized room for one person that they had shoved an extra bed in. When we brought it up they gave us some crazy excuse. Then they told us we have to buy our own toilette paper. When the dishwashing soap and matches ran out in the common kitchen, they said its the guest's responsibility to buy those (the kitchen was already handicapped). But worse than all is their strange and disrespectful behavior. They bluntly lie to your face (once, the guy was trying to convince me that the tea he brought was really coffee, not tea!!!!!-i had asked for coffee) and they give you the craziest excuses when you complain. It became such a headache that halfway we left for another place.

Room Tip: Go for Jo's place next door or Soledad B&B
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank SAjourney
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We booked initially into a hostal close to the main plaza. What a dissapointment: very loud music, drunken miners and very basic accommodation. Decided to move and such a difference. Hatun Wasi is a friendly, clean and comfortable hostal, and cheaper than the hostal in the city centre. Yet very near the main street and all tourist facilities. Great breakfast. television in the room, hot water in the taps and comfortable, clean beds. There si also Internet and you can use the family computer in their living room. After a hectic day walking a touring this is the place to come back to. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room and they will give you the best available.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hipayay
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights although we booked three but that was not a problem. Rooms are big and beds are fine. Warm water is a hit and miss, the staff sometimes forget to change the gas bottle. The last day we stored our luggage and after we came back from a big hike they even let us use a bathroom and shower. Very nice people!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thaddeus73
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This hostel was a pleasant surprise; I went there after staying in an average hotel close by and went here cause a friend was already staying at this place. I was a bit undecided cause it seemed a bit far from the centre of town. The reality is that it is a 10 minute walk but, as another reviewer pointed out, if you are in Huaraz you probably like to walk anyway. The place has nice dorms with private bathrooms and cable tv in them. Maybe a bit crammed. The owners are really nice and helpful and most of all will give you advise on what to do around Huaraz without trying to push you to buy tours. The best thing about the place is the top floor. A large open space with two kitchen (one where they cook your breakfast and one for everyone to use), a beautiful large terrace with the best views of the cordillera that you can have in Huaraz. But even better is the breakfast, they give you a choice of three kind of breakfast: continental, american and one with fruit and yoghurt. They are large, good and filling. If you are leaving early for a tour (and most likely you will be at least one day) try to tell them in advance so that they can organized a ready to eat breakfast, not as good as the cooked one but still large and filling. There is also WiFi, although you might want to ask for rooms that are closer to the stairs as the further out rooms have little reception.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo