“Excellent, very friendly hostel”
Review of Hatun Wasi

Hatun Wasi
Hatun Wasi
Ranked #16 of 65 Speciality Lodging in Huaraz
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent, very friendly hostel”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in July 2013 and had an excellent, clean room with comfortable beds. Hot water (normally) in the showers and a very good breakfast on the terrace. The biggest highlight is how friendly the management is, its a family run hostal and they are so helpful. Would whole heartedly recommend. Yes it is not in the centre of town, but it is an easy walk.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

the hostel is not nice is just a building and is very far from the center and restaurants of the plaza central people are not very friendly i move to another hostal that was much better just the room was not bad but I do not recommend this place

Room Tip: use city guides and internet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
MarielaLima, Manager at Hatun Wasi, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
unfortunately this person was not at our hostel, is a local person writings bad things!!
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed here in June 2013, big clean room, fresh breakfast (big bowl of fruit and yogurt) helpful and friendly staff (some speak perfect English) showers hot, cable TV, adequately equipped kitchen available to use for free, nice big sunny balcony on top floor. Even let us have showers after our Santa Cruz trek before our night bus for free which I felt was very generous of them. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snoopajc
World Traveler
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed at Hatun Wasi for 11 nights. There are many attributes to recommend Hatun Wasi, but a couple notable negatives:
On the plus side: great breakfast options made fresh each morning. The hotel is very clean, my room (#306) was well appointed. One of the best showers in Latin America: HOT and great pressure and you can indulge yourself for 20 minutes, especially nice after an 11-mile hike in Huascaran National Park. Hatun Wasi books four different tours from its front desk at reasonable prices. Pleasant staff. I arrived at 5:00 a.m. from an overnight bus from Trujillo, and the staff just got me into my room, fed me breakfast later, and we handled the payment for the 11 days later. The hotel felt safe and secure. The WiFi was generally fast and reliable to my room.

On the negative side: the location is not great. There are no decent restaurants nearby. There are a couple cafes, but the coffee in one was terribly bitter. So plan on walking nearly 2 km to near the Plaza de Armas to eat in a restaurant, and even then the choices are skimpy. (Hatun Wasi has its own restaurant menu with sandwiches and the like, but because so few guests stayed there in late April, the restaurant had few menu ingredients and were only serving the complimentary breakfast, nothing else.)

One of the staff let himself into my room one day while I was still in the room, no knock at the door, nothing. I had to ask him to always knock first before entering. He came to clean my room, but since we have to check our room keys in at the front desk, a quick glance would have told him my key was not there and I was probably still in my room.

The BIGGEST NEGATIVE of Hatun Wasi is the NIGHT NOISE, particularly an issue from APRIL TO JULY. Apparently there is a festival in Huaraz in July in which drum/flute bands participate and compete. Unfortunately, one of the 10-15 person bands practices on the street directly in front of the hotel. During my 11-night stay, the band practiced Monday-Friday nights from 8:00-10:00 p.m., and to after 11:00 p.m. my last night. Forget about blocking the noise; with my earbuds playing music, my earplugs in, and another pair of Bose headphones on, I could still hear the LOUD DRUMMING AND FLUTING, and since they are just starting 3 months of nightly practice this is NOT PLEASANT MUSIC. IT IS NOISE. What is worse, I talked to another guest who had lived near there for four years and always stays at Hatun Wasi -- he said that the last month or so before the big festival, the band practices to 4:00 a.m. some mornings and he got NO SLEEP. So beware: I would not stay at Hatun Wasi between May-July, if you want a good night’s sleep. Too bad, it is a pretty good hostel otherwise.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
HatunWasiHostel, Gerente at Hatun Wasi, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear James, thanks for the comments provided to our hostel!
For the group of guys who used to practice the typical dance in the street to religious festivities are over a few days ago and not until July.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

On the surface this is a very good value hostel. We stayed here twice for 3 nights and then two. It is clean and comfortable, hot water, good wi-fi and cable TV . The setting for breakfast on the terrace is stunning .Breakfast is good with plenty of choice too. Apart from Saturday night it is also quiet, on Saturday the nearby venue has loud music till the early hours.

If only the service they offered was as good. Twice there was either no breakfast or so chaotic we didn't want to eat it, the person who makes breakfast just didn't turn up. Cleaning and emptying bins was sporadic too, when we asked what had gone wrong the excuse was the cleaner had forgotten-they only had 6 guests. On one occasion we had to wait 45 minutes to get back into the hostel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 15 October 2012

A cozy place to spend a few days before going up to the mountains, comfortable rooms with private bath, breakfast very good and varied served on the terrace of the hostel.
At the reception offer daily tours to the tourist destinations in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We were staying there for a month so we tried to work out a deal with them; they had us stay in dorms until our private room was ready. First, it seemed very nice, then 5 days later they asked for more money. We agreed as we thought the value was good. Then they gave us our "private room" which in reality was a closet sized room for one person that they had shoved an extra bed in. When we brought it up they gave us some crazy excuse. Then they told us we have to buy our own toilette paper. When the dishwashing soap and matches ran out in the common kitchen, they said its the guest's responsibility to buy those (the kitchen was already handicapped). But worse than all is their strange and disrespectful behavior. They bluntly lie to your face (once, the guy was trying to convince me that the tea he brought was really coffee, not tea!!!!!-i had asked for coffee) and they give you the craziest excuses when you complain. It became such a headache that halfway we left for another place.

Room Tip: Go for Jo's place next door or Soledad B&B
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business