“Good central spot”

Ranked #11 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Nazca
Newcastle, Australia
“Good central spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place is good, but probably not very good. Certainly a nice spot though. It's family run and the rooms are within the family complex. Breakfast is reasonable and wifi is ok. The location is excellent only a few blocks from the central square. The place is fairly basic but you need to remember it's only a hostel and it's only Nazca, so nothin there is that flash! Would stay here again :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time staying at Pirwa Nasca (Camiluz): lovely place with a great location, good place for families to stay as well. The staff running the place is very kind and supportive, they provided me with all the information and support to enjoy the tours.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The owner organised tours for us and gave us a free ride to the bus station when we left. The building had old-fashioned charm, especially the alligators sun bathing in the courtyard. Dormitory was clean and comfortable. Front door always locked, so good for security. Wifi mostly OK.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank andrewmilton
Puno, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Felt as though we were intruding on a family home. Lovely elderly lady who runs it/works there but offered to do our washing with no mention of the 15 soles cost (it was a couple of tshirts and some underwear). Shower was a dribble and the place was quiet but dark. Some very misleading info on website, eg the kitchen doesnt seem to be for visitors use.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shdch
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

When I arrived at the "hostel" late at night without any reservation, I asked for a bed in a dorm. The owner said that there is none available but he can give me a double room for thr same price. When I asked for the price he said dont worry, its going to be the same.
After I saw the room I was really surprised, because it was huge, clean and very nice. But it also had a rules and regulations sheet with the name Hostal Camiluz on the nightstand. Hostel Pirwa was not mentioned anywhere. So I went back to the reception asking about the name and the place not looking like a hostel at all, etc.
The respond again was that I should not worry. So I asked again for the price and that the Internet said its 30 soles for a dorm. He repeated that the price is going to be the same for my room.

2 days later at checkout I was asked to pay 150 soles...So I had a long diskussion and a lot of hassle. But I refused to pay more than 60 soles.

In case you decide to stay at Pirwa Hostel (its not a hostel, its a hotel. When traveling by yourself, dont expect to meet new people or make friends with somebody) make sure to be told an exact rate before you check in.
Room was superbig and nice, shower hot and clean.
Breakfast ok. Street very noisy during night. There must be a soccerfield nearby. They play there until late at night, 1am).
No access to a computer (as advertised on homepage).
People not very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex J
Trujillo, Peru
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

For me, when I go to a hostel, I like feeling like I'm free to come and go as I like
This Pirwa hostel is part of someone's house -- so you're walking through their living room and kitchen everytime you leave and come back. Also, you don't get a key to the outside door, you have to buzz for someone to let you in, which made me feel like I couldn't be out as late as I wanted to be
The breakfast was amazing. They cook potatoes with cheese and give you juice and bread.
The shower was high quality which was nice
But I guess overall I didn't feel very comfortable and it didn't have that "everyone's passing through and having fun here" atmosphere that a hostel typically has.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Morgan G
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Really nice hostal, the owner is v friendly and helpful. He organised my flights over the lines and saved me $10 by doing so. He also arranged a good trip out into the sand dunes. Breakfast was good, room clean - only criticism is the showers were not the warmest. He really went the extra mile by letting me take a shower in the family bathroom and also dropped me to the bus for a small tip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo