“Do this and you've conquered Sagada.”
Review of Lumiang Cave

Lumiang Cave
Ranked #5 of 20 things to do in Sagada
Reviewed 22 August 2014

People flock to Sumaguing cave as is it more accessible and not that difficult. I challenge you to try Lumiang.

You NEED a guide to enter this cave. And I believe that not every guide is certified to take people inside. But I may be wrong. Still, do not try to enter this without someone who knows how to navigate the cave safely.

There were parts of this cave where you have to hoist yourself up a small hole using only a rope. I was moving through terrain where if I fall on either side, I was dead. Then about a little over halfway is a very big natural hall. Its sad that people vandalize the sides of the cave.

The other end of Lumiang is Sumaguing. You get to see what those who only go to Sumaguing see and more.

I suggest you wear clothes that dry easy (like Nike Dri-fits), shoes that grip (please avoid wearing slippers), and avoid bringing too much stuff. You will be needing both your hands on some parts.

If you are not ready for Lumiang, you can just visit the mouth of the cave and see the coffins of the local ancestry.

There are newer reviews for Lumiang Cave

Reviewed 21 August 2014

You should try this once in your lifetime. The cave was very challenging and took a lot of my energy. Definitely an experience I will never ever forget

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am reposting this review from my review on Sumaging cave because the two caves are connected. The lumiang cave is very similar to Sumaging, except that it has no bats and less rock formations.

This are two main caves in Sagada, Sumaging and Lumiang. Since they are both connected the official tour guides will choose either one to begin with.

In a nutshell, you get to see marvelous rock formations that resemble various things (in local lexicon, the "The king's curtain", "The gay queen", "Rice terraces", "Town hall"). There will be some climbing, rappelling, moving on the water (up to waist level but can be higher in rainy seasons), and walking on bare foot.

The "cave connection" as they call it should not be done without a guide as you will easily get lost. Getting dirty and wet is guaranteed, so don't wear precious clothes.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We had our cave connection from Lumiang cave to Sumaguing cave. And it took us more than 3 hrs to complete the hike! Thanks to our very accommodating guide who helped us a lot in going up and mostly down those slippery rocks inside the cave. A great view once you're inside. It's dark and you only have a lamp to guide you inside. The water is too cold. You must be fit to do the cave connection because you will pass through some narrow passages. And i recommend you wear slippers instead of rubber shoes because you will be taking those off in some part of the cave.
To sum it up, we had a great time inside the cave. Its a must do when you're in Sagada! And we want to do it again next time we visit Sagada with our friends.
P.S.-- you may need to drink pain reliever after your adventure because your muscles will surely ache! Lol

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We did the end to end Lumiang-Sumaguing hike and what an incredible experience it was! I would recommend going for this option instead of the shorter version (going in the caves through Sumaguing entrance).