“2nd time not as good as first”

Ozan Winery & Cellars
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Calera
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: "If you're pressed for time and can only visit one winery in Alabama, Ozan is a good choice." - WineTrailsUSA
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 November 2013

They were out of some of the groupon goodies and had NO etched glasses for our group of 3, although a much larger group sitting next to us all got their glasses!! They were also out of several of the wines that were listed. And we bought the train ticket and because only one person was serving our small group and the large group, we only got through some of the wines before we had to walk down to catch the train. Then we had to go back up the hill after the train ride to finish our wine tasting. It is a lovely setting, but the groupon was $2 more than the first time I went and I got less..also no wine carrying bag like before and fewer snacks. Disappointed, to say the least. Probably won't go back.

2  Thank nothrilledthistime

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ozan is a little gem on the Alabama Wine Trail. I was a little skeptical to hear of it, then when my sister and I drove up, it was already growing on me! The building itself looks like a mediterranean villa on top of a hill. My sister had booked a wine-tasting online, but you can just drive there. There were tables on the inside and outside and both filled up quickly. The wines are quite tasty. Their new Cabernet is VERY nice. The dessert wines are not as sweet as you would expect, which is refreshing. I left with three bottles. Food was provided which included cheeses, crackers, pickled okra, olives among other things. They also offer a train excursion. We will definitely be back!

3  Thank CompulsiveCreater
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Had an opportunity to visit Ozan Winery this past weekend and I must say I was really disappointed. After driving such a distance to get there, I had high hopes and expectations of receiving great wine, service, etc. but that was not the case. When we arrived, there were only about 3 groups of people sitting at tables. We found a table for 2 in the shade which was great. However, once we served the cheese, chocalate, and crackers, the server did not return back to our table for more wine tastings. There was a young lady walking around with wine serving other customers but not us. After waiting about 15 mins or so, I had to get up and go inside to see what was going on. There was a man standing around at the cash register who asked me what I needed, and I told him that we were forgotten about and had only tasted a few wines. He then proceeded to ask me if I had a Groupon (now why would that matter) and I told him I did. He then asked the young lady to go back out to the patio to wait on us/customers. After waiting for several more minutes, we decided to leave. I expressed my frustration to the limited staff and they apologized and asked us to come back, but I'm thinking no. I enjoyed VIzzini Farms Winery MUCH BETTER!!

3  Thank pianoeight
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We were searching for things to do along our vacation route. Through our GPS, Ozan winery was listed. We drove to the easy to find location and were greeted by the owners. We sampled the wine and visited with the owners for quite a while.
They have an awesome Norton wine. The location is beautiful and quietly tucked away. The vineyards were well kept.
You can tell that these people know their wine and take pride in their business.
If you are traveling down Interstate 64, make this one of your stops.

2  Thank Skipperd222
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We had a Groupon (so did most of the other visitors) that gave us two glasses, wine tasting, fruit, cheese, crackers, wine tote and bottle opener. Service was great, even though they were very busy. We enjoyed the wine and bought many bottles( they let us drive up close to load)