“Avoid”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Iasi
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Astoria is in a central location (good luck parking your car) and the breakfast (served in a different hotel) is OK, but this is about it.

It is hard to believe this is a three-star. I had a room at the 5th floor. The elevator only goes up to the 4th, and tough luck if you carry a large suitcase. The room was extremely hot with a very small window. I tried turning on the air conditioner, only to discover it was leaking water and the carpet below was already damp and mouldy from previous guests. Not a single item in the minibar. But worst of all, no water, hot or cold between 7.30 and 8.30, for two days in a row.

The reception staff promised to fix the issues, but didn't.

Definetly not reccomended.

Room Tip: 5th floor has no elevator and gets very hot.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank liniedefractie
There are newer reviews for Astoria Hotel

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and the experience had its ups and downs. In the first day everything seemed wrong although this is a 3 star hotel in the city center: it was cold in the room; the internet was not working and the breakfast was not as promised. But the things changed in the next days and it was better. So, a decent hotel a little expensive for what offers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Astoria is on the main square of Iasi within easy walking distance to major sights and many restaurants, cafés near by. lively yet not raucous at night. While I was there in September 2013, the Main Street Stephan cel Mare, was closed to all traffic from the Astoria all the way to the Palace so Culture. Nice!

Astoria is definitely a thee-star. It's a little tired, not enough electric plugs in rooms, sheets are too short for bed leaving the mattress to touch the skin (use a bath towel to cover the gap!). The bonus is that breakfast is at the adjoining higher-end Traian. It's a good buffet in a rather elegant room with windows onto the square.

For the price (50 euro on a Sunday in Sept) it is a decent value and I'd probably stay here again.

At any of these hotels check on the cost of parking!!!

Room Tip: 413 was spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I found this hotel to be about average or slightly above average for its class. The location is good (walking distance to many attractions as well as the train station), the staff is pleasant and helpful, and the free breakfast is great. The rooms, although a bit dated, are clean, fairly spacious, and quite comfortable; they have air conditioning and a nice roomy bathroom.

Unfortunately, there are also some downsides: first, beggars and glue sniffers gather right by the front door and the hotel staff doesn't seem to do anything about them, so you can expect to be constantly asked for money as you walk in and out of the hotel; second, the "free" wi-fi doesn't really work, at all. I spent 5 nights at the hotel, and I only managed to connect twice from my room (I confirmed with other guests that I was not the only one having issues), so this doesn't seem to be a one-off sort of problem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Situated in the City Centre and within walking distance of the Railway Station. Friendly and helpful receptionist. Clean room with pleasant bathroom. Very effective air conditioning. A great open-air restaurant next door provides good meals, but can't remember it's name! Breakfast is in adjoining hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I wandered into the center of Iasi after an exhaustingly long train ride from Budapest and found the Astoria Hotel. I was offered a really small but completely adequate room with great wifi and a delicious breakfast (where one could order anything off of the menu) at the adjacent Hotel Triaan. My maternal grandparents were born in Iasi and I had the pleasure of exploring the contemporary remains of their world. I visited the Jewish cemetery that overlooks the town and even found headstones of possible family members, saw the site of the first Yiddish theater and the elementary school my grandparents may have attended. Wonderful to discover that my ancestral hometown is so full of life and beauty.

Room Tip: You could ask for a larger room with a view of the plaza.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my daughter as she was playing for England in the world schools championship. This was portrayed as the best hotel in Iassi (so I had little choice as I was there for my daughter playing chess) but we booked for the hotel traian and was placed in rooms in the astoria (the hotel occupies the same building AND SHARES FACILTIIES but WE WERE FOBBED OFF). The hotel was was very very cheap compared to other hotels I normally stay in so I didn't expect much for the price and yes it is very basic but you pay for what you get. I am not going to make much comment apart from that but I was originally placed in a smoking room with a faulty air conditioning (with a child!!!!!). The manageress did move me after I complained . My major COMPLAINT and BE WARNED do not STAY AT THIS HOTEL AND IF YOU DO PLEASE DO NOT PAY the hotel bill on your visa debit card. My main hotel bill was pre-paid but at check out I paid for my extras. I spent alot of money on food and beverages during my stay which came to 771 lei (£146). The front desk check out member of staff (Adrain Danu according to my bill) informed me that my card hadn't gone through as the machine ran out of paper. I re-inputted the card and yes surprise surprise on checking my barclays account 2 days later the hotel had taken the 771 lei twice. I have spent alot of time and expense in trying to recover this money and despite the hotel informing me they had made a mistake they told me they couldn't refund the money back on my card and would need to transfer it to my account (very unusual and now i believe it to be a delaying tactic). I HAVE SENT NUMEROUS EMAILS WITH MY ACCOUNT DETAILS, SWIFT NUMBER for barclays AND NEARLY ONE MONTH AFTER THEY ILLEGALLY TOOK MY MONEY IT HAS NOT BEEN REFUNDED. My bank are now investigating this as a fraud especially as the hotel have now ignored the last 2 emails I have sent to them requesting more information. I have all the evidence to pursue this legally and the hotel bill so will pursue this out of prinicple. The hotel extras have now cost me £302 and should have been £146 (and in romania this is a alot of money). They are branded as a best western and I will be informing them about this behaviour from one of their franchisees.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family