Hotel La Residence
  • Pool
Hotel Cap(Saint-Louis)
TripAdvisor
Hotel de la Poste(Saint-Louis)
Jumia Travel
  • Pool
Lampsar Lodge(Saint-Louis)
Siki Hotel(Saint-Louis)
  • Restaurant
Sunu Keur(Saint-Louis)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsla residencerooms are smallcolonial architecturelunch and dinnerdecorationterracewifi
Reviewed 31 October 2012

During my recent round trip to Senegal, I spent one night at this little hotel. The rooms are very basic and so are the bathrooms. Staff were nice. Breakfast was very simple and dinner was acceptable (booked with dinner included).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

In terms of accommodation, this hotel was a little out of our price range, so we ended up staying somewhere else. However, while wandering St. Louis, we were charmed by the great decor and atmosphere of this hotel and decided to try it out for lunch. Lucky us because this turned out to be one of the best meals we had in a trip filled with great food.

We came back another night and hung out in the bar. Both times the service was impeccable. Make sure you try their signature drink - the Marquise - it is incredibly delicious!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank n0madsland
Reviewed 24 January 2012

When we came into our room I was really shocked how simple it is. Very small room, the bed approx. 140 or max. 150 cm wide without springs. It seemed that it was just a board with a thin mattress on it. The bathroom also very simple and very old. Due to this (the lime and cracks) it made the impression that it's not properly cleaned but this was wrong, it's just old. The air-conditioning is quite loud, so that I had problems to fall asleep in the first night. Afterwards I got used to it.

One light didn't work and the room was very dark, so we called front desk. They sent us somebody to fix it. This man didn't speak English at all and our French is very limited, but this person was very endeavoured and as he couldn't fix the problem on the spot he went down and brought us a key for another room. Our room was facing the inner courtyard, the other one was facing the street but was bigger (twin room) and it's bathroom was extremely small compared with our current one. So we decided keeping our original room as I need space in the bathroom. Already on the next day when we returned to our room the light problem was fixed.

On our first evening I was quite desperate as we had to spent 4 nights at this hotel and we also had lots of free time in St. Louis even though there is not much to do apart from the tours we had included anyway. So I stayed at the room reading a book instead of having dinner (what a big mistake, see my comments about the restaurant below). Only my husband and the guide had dinner. On the next day at breakfast the waiter welcomed us and asked me if I feel better today and recommended me drinking their hibiscus flower juice. Of course my husband didn't tell anybody the reason why I felt bad but the waiter was so incredible lovely. I was really touched. And afterwards he informed our guide (we didn't meet him at breakfast) that I am better today and that I was smiling. How attentive!

There was no safety box in the room, that's why we went to the reception. We got an envelope where we could put in our belongings and this was stored in their office. The person who took it over was an old lady and looked very reliable and everything worked without problems.

The hotel itself has no swimming pool but obviously they have an arrangement with another hotel so that the guests can use a pool 5 minutes away. The only problem was that there are just 6 loungers at this pool (and many flies) which were of course quickly occupied.

The hotel is centrally located with some shops around where you can buy beverages and souvenirs. By the way, we sent some postcards from St. Louis (post office is close to the hotel) and they arrived at home already 1 week later!!! Unbelievable quick for Africa!!

At the rooftop of the hotel there are some tables and chairs and you can enjoy an amazing sunset from there. There are also 2 rooms or apartments, so must be nice having a room there.

We had half board included at this hotel and we really enjoyed every single meal and I was really upset about myself that I missed the first one ;-) The restaurant is really first class. The food is excellent, the staff too. Once we were served salad as starter but the waiter quickly noticed on our faces that we don't like salad and immediately he offered an alternative starter. The waiters are all very attentive and friendly in a high-class way.

I would definitely stay again at this hotel because of the restaurant and because of the lovely, attentive staff. But if I ever go there again I would hope that the nice French owners have already invested some money for refurbishing the rooms ;-)

Room Tip: Obviously there are 1 or 2 rooms or apartments at the rooftop, must be nice there.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lana0273
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Only a review of the restaurant, as we didn't stay at this place, but we LOVED the decor and the food. First, the decor manages to pull off expertly what I would have thought was impossible: quirky colonial luxury. The details of the place lend character to what might otherwise be anachronistically cheesy, but which always stays on the classy side of elegance. Next, the bar serves Marquise, which is a delicious St Louis specialty we couldn't find anywhere else -- sort of a cross between sangria and mulled wine, eminently drinkable and something I'd love to find a recipe for. Finally, the food was fantastic -- lobster ravioli that made my friend swoon and homemade chocolate ice cream my partner ordered a second helping of. All in all, this place is the best for eating and drinking in all of St Louis. Excellent service too -- our waiter took the trouble to explain how they make he Marquise, even bringing out a clove to show us when we didn't understand the word in French.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Rooms are smartly decorated and clean, beds are very confortable and bathrooms are impeccable.
The owners welcome you personnaly and they know and love their land so much that you are enchanted by this elegant old town.
And last but not least, maybe the best restaurant of the island with a creative cooking mixing local products and modern gastronomie.

Room Tip: Ask for number 300
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple