“A Real Gem!”
Review of Hotel Oliva

Hotel Oliva
Ranked #3 of 104 Budva B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This hotel was a real find in a town of many hotels and apartments. Branko and all his staff are so welcoming and willing to help in any way. Our room was a bit small but adequate, the bed comfortable, we had a balcony and a small sitting area in an enclosed area just before the balcony. The AC worked well, breakfast had a wide variety of hot and cold foods to choose from. The wifi worked in the sitting area just down the hall from our room and also in the dinning garden. The parking was free which I feel was a good bonus.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one night and it was every bit as good if not better than the #1 restaurant on tripadvisor. I had the mixed grill with vegetables and my husband had veal medallions with noodles and vegetables. The portions were huge and we could have shared. Also the mixed salad was the best I have had in our 2 months of travels. The price was very reasonable 40 € including wine. The hotel was also very reasonably priced. I would definitely book here again, thank you Branko and staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 June 2013

You've read it in other reviews; the service at Hotel Oliva is outstanding. Is it true? Absolutely. We're seasoned travellers, have stayed at innumerable hotels, bed and breakfasts, motels, inns and campgrounds - so we know what constitutes good service. We found it here, which was needless to say surprising from such a reasonably-priced property. Branko, the manager and probably owner, was so accomodating and attentive we were left discussing it afterwards and comparing to our stays at prestigious hotels where we hadn't received such good service. A welcome drink on arrival, help with our bags, invitations to dinner, the list goes on. Nothing was too much trouble and you could tell he and the staff took their work very seriously, but were always pleasant.

Now onto the property. Location-wise it's quite good. Not on the beach promenade but a ten-minute walk there through a grassed area and across a road. Budva is bustling and the hotel is off a main road so there is noise, but it's not intrusive. There's a 24-hour minimart up the road too, very reasonably priced. Our room was clean and well-enough equipped, though we couldn't work out the air-conditioning. Our balcony looked out to the road, but also out to the nearby hills. We ate in the hotel restaurant once for dinner and it was superb and cheap (in our eyes) plus the breakfast was adequate and filling.

A big thank-you to Branko and the staff (the restaurant girls were great fun): keep up the great service and you'll never run out of visitors.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We spent 3 days here, in the summer of 2012. It was one of the best places I had ever stayed. Thanks to the staff (Mr. Branko) we had a very pleasant stay here. Clean rooms, good internet wireless acces, very nice location, beautiful olive tree garden, very nice breakfast, private parking, PERFECT. I hope I will come back sometime.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claudiu M
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We debated for a while where to stay during our short-ish break in Montenegro – we wanted somewhere within easy access of Kotor but also near a variety of beaches. I believe Budva and hotel Oliva in particular, was the perfect choice. (Kotor is stunning and the bay takes your breath away – I recommend climbing to the top of st john’s fortress for unforgettable views – but you would not really swim in the bay and little towns like Perast are just too small)
Yes, it is true – Budva is over-built, but it offers easy access to a variety of nice beaches (Mogren II, Sveti Nikola, Becici – the stretch furthest away from Budva is best – and Przno) and it is a short bus / cab ride from Kotor. Sveti Stefan has some stunning beaches but sadly inaccessible (they carry a compulsory charge in the region of €50 & €75 to use the facilities!).
Hotel Oliva is situated 10-15 mins from the old town. You just need to talk for 5 mins before you hit a super long stretch of beach. There is also a convenience store at the end of the road. The walk alongside the waterfront is fun and filled with tat shops, restaurant and bars. It really depends on what you are after. At Hotel Oliva, you are kind of on a quiet street and within an easy stroll of being ‘in the middle of it all’ – but with many quieter spots/beaches within very easy reach too. Ideal I would say.
Our room was clean, large, with a lovely balcony, A/C and great bathroom with fresh towels provided every day. The bed was very very comfortable and cosy! But what really makes this hotel is the garden where breakfast is served. Dotted with olive trees and with a beautiful water feature in the middle. Idyllic. Breakfast is fresh and abundant. The variety of juices offered is just wonderful. Wifi is free and works very well but only in the garden and the restaurant area. Yes, Oliva is also a restaurant and had we had more time, we would have definitely had dinner there one evening. The setting is stunning and I bet the food is delicious!
Branko is great – very welcoming and full of advice. We felt very welcome from the second we arrived.
The 10 km walk from Budva to Sveti Stefan is very beautiful and highly recommended. And you get to stop at all the pretty beaches on the way with the chance of wonderful fish meals in the lovely villages of Rafailovici and Przno.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank claudia186338
Reviewed 25 August 2012

A block from the main boulevard and no more than 10 minutes' walk from the beach is this lovely family-run hotel.

My tour company mixed up my transfer and delivered me to another property with a similar name, but when they sorted it out, Branko at the Hotel Oliva in Budva was there to meet me as I stepped out of the cab. He immediately said that he will trreat me to a welcome drink, as well as a free dinner - to compensate for all the mix-up - despite his having caused none of it. This is just Branko's amazingly friendly attitude.

For the first night, he had to put me up in a neighbouring hotel that he uses as an overflow, but he carried my luggage there for me, and while I was having breakfast the next morning, he discreetly retrieved my luggage and brought it back to the Oliva, and took it up to my room.

He loves talking with his guests, and so does his wife. Their courtesy and hospitality were of the highest standard for my 4 nights there. The room was small, but spotlessly clean, carefully serviced each day and beautifully air-conditioned.

Branko took extra care to install me into room 2, which he knew would be quieter for me.

DInners there are beautiful, and the buffet breakfast is also a pleasure, especially dining in his charming and leafy courtyard.

Branko's service comes from the heart. It is defintely of a 5-star standard with a 3-star price.

Room Tip: For quiet, just ask for a room that does not front onto the street. Otherwise, just use ear plugs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank ChrisatSydney
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We arrived by car from Dubrovnik airport. The signs in Budva was not that many, but we managed to find the hotel without to much hassel. When we arrived we were met by the hotel manager Branco. He showed us where we could park our car, and carried our rucksaks to our room on the top floor(!). Afterwards we was invited downstairs in the garden for a welcoming drink. Afterwards we had lunch in the garden, and the pizza was very good. The service given by the owner and the rest of the staff was very good during our entire 3-nights stay. The breakfast was very nice. The beach was not far from the hotel, and there was mini-market and bakery nearby the hotel. We would love to come back another time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VacationOslo
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Oliva Hotel for two nights with friends of ours. We struggled to find the Hotel due to the universal lack of signage in Budva and shoddy roads (driving here was scary!). However, the welcome when we arrived could not have been warmer and the owner personally showed us around our room and told us to make ourselves at home. Our room faced the road and had a small lounge area and ensuite. The TV didn't have good reception, and we couldn't get wifi from our room, but it was clean and had air con that worked. Annoyingly the new toilet cistern meant that the old toilet seat would not stay up by itself, and leaned against you when you sat on the loo. The shower was pretty tight, but had good hot water. Our friends had a slightly smaller room with a balcony and didn't have the same trouble with their bathroom as we did. Downstairs we discovered a lovely green garden area which was a little oasis in this chaotic city. We ordered the 7.50 Euro set menu the first night and were amazed by the quality of the food and service - incredibly good value for money! The following night we ate at the hotel again and I ordered from the al la carte menu which was also very good. Breakfast was included and once again we were amazed by the standard and selection. The sea and old town of Budva were within walking distance.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple