“Fish Restaurant Stari Grad”
Review of Konoba Stari Grad

Konoba Stari Grad
Ranked #22 of 143 Restaurants in Budva
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Rye, United Kingdom
“Fish Restaurant Stari Grad”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived in Budva on a small tourist bus whose guide tried to hustle us into their choice of lunch restaurant some not inconsiderable distance from the old town we had come to see (disappointing after Dubrovnik but that's what happens when you don't research your trip I suppose) We took a look around the restaurant which, to be fair, was buzzing and smelt OK but incensed by the assumption that we were going to acquiesce in this blatant hi-jacking of our trip we decided to leave and find our own lunch.
After 20 minutes searching the old town we almost gave up and returned to the scene of the crime as the only commercial activity seemed to be overpriced boutiques and gift shops and the only restaurants did not look appealing until we saw the Fish Restaurant Stari Grad. Unfortunately it was almost empty when we arrived but the décor the smells and the very welcoming "Petar" convinced us to stay. Thank the lord we stayed !! I ordered the fish soup but Petar advised me to switch to the fish broth...a superb dish of a beautiful fish soup containing excellent lumps of various seafood...heavenly.
The main course of john dory, which Petar again recommended, was brilliantly cooked and, while I am not a fan of the fashion for artistically draping the fish over the vegetables, it worked and I cleaned my plate.
My dessert of a Pistachio ice cream with a raspberry sauce hit the spot again. The wine, recommended by Petar was brilliant and not over the top on price so all in all my lunch was a great success....I cant really remember what my wife had but she is also a food lover and was quietly content....I even shared a little of my (Petar suggested) Rajika digestive with her and she did not pull a face....The slightly worse for wear company of the Russian pair on the next table only served to add a little more flavour to the occasion...not bad for something less than Euro 75.
I whole heartedly recommend the experience.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank bhyde2901

• Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

While the setting and location were great, it is extremely rare that we leave a restaurant so disappointed as we did on this occasion and it is the first time that I have felt the need to set the record on trip-advisor. The service we received from multiple staff members was very poor and the manager's attitude and professionalism was even worse. Our starters and mains were delivered in the space of five to ten minutes. All four meals being poor to average in quality. Of the four couples on tables surrounding us we all expressed similar dissatisfaction.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank EuropeanWanderer
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant in a Great Town for Restaurants”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Been going here for 4-5 years now and I can safely say that I have never been disappointed. Even though it's marketed as a fish restraurant, I've had some of the best food in my life there. The fish is beautiful, but there Steak and red meat is to die for too.
The on top of that, they have live music after 7pm and this just adds to the already good ambiance. This is a must go for me every time I am in Budva.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank David_Steen1982
“Decent enough”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Good choice of starter tomatoe soup too salty but the local cheese and ham really nice main was a nice steak but the veg Anemic and dish of the day a massive lamb shank but roast potatoes left half as could have been cooked longer.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Tim E
New York City, New York
“Best seafood in town”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We went for dinner at this restaurant after seeing its rating on Tripadvisor and as usual Tripadvisor knows best! We ordered seafood platter for two and it was awesome - They perfectly split it for two - two types of fish fresh from the sea, mussles, prawns, squid, the rice was very nice, the mash was excellent. We ordered different wines and the wine was actually just ok but it's only because we wanted different types of wine.
It comes to a bit pricey but if we had the same platter in New York we would pay twice as much (we each paid about USD45). We both had soups for starter.
I would highly recommend this hotel and please do not confuse it with another restaurant on the same corner which also carries the name Konoba. It turns out konoba means a tavern.

• Visited August 2013