“Excellent place!”

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Budva
Split, Croatia
“Excellent place!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I liked everything! Position of the hotel, its restaurant, staff - everything was under my expectations. We had an executive room in the old part of the hotel which was so spacious, had all the amenities and was just perfect!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DianaGar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Me and my friend visited Budva the first time and I stayed there for 3 nights and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Breakfast on the terrace was great almost everything you can think of, food was excellent and the view is amazing. Hotel is quite big and the location was the main reason why I chose this hotel - it is great (as soon as you leave it you are in front of the Old Town). Rooms are huge and very clean - with a big balcony and great view. Staff was very kind especially many thanks to Aco the bellboy who helped us to carry all my luggage from the car to my room he was very kind :)

For the Spa center I have to say that we expected a bigger choice since the turkish bathroom was closed 3 days (whenever we asked when its going to opet they said tomorrow) due to construction work, outdoor pool was also not filled and the water in the indoor pool was way too cold!
Another thing that we found really annoying and what we did not understand is that a 4 star hotel is not offering free Internet access, so you have to pay for it to use it in your room and if you want a free access you have to sit in their lounge which is ridiculous that you are not able to work in your room if you need a quiet zone. I think every guest nowadays is expecting a free internet especially in 4 + 5 * hotels.

All in all we enjoyed those 3 days, it was really relaxing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank HMatata
AvalaResort, Front Office Manager at Avala Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear HMatata,

We are very glad for the pleasant days you spent with us.
Your objection will be carefully considered by our side as we are always ready to make changes according to our guest's wishes and expectations.
I believe that after your next stay in Avala Resort&Villas, your comment title will be - "Perfect"

Dusan Becir, fom
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lots of mixed reviews in here and I did not expect much. I guess that's why I was pleasantly surprised. Location is the best in Budva next to old town and public/private beaches. For night life and shopping center you need 10-15 min walk. We had a sea view room in the main building.

Room was the only thing which was a bit disappointing. It was really small for two people, other had to lie in bed in case the other wanted to move around. The shower, which was separated from the bathroom was in bad shape, ventilation was not working, it was covered in mold, floor was not tilted enough so water stayed on the floor. It was still usable as housekeeping wiped it daily. Bad air quality most probably gave me cough and sniffles in a couple of days.

Staff and people in general in Budva spoke good English and were very friendly. All our requests were promptly taken care of. However the hotel and staff need to relax a bit. There is so many rules written everywhere and we felt like staff was watching us. How can it be a problem if guest brings a water bottle to the hotel room?

Wi-Fi, decent free coverage was only on a small section of the lobby. In a hotel with this quality and price it should be free in every room.

We liked the hotel beach with good sunbeds and beach bar service. Food was tasty and reasonably priced. We don't like big crowded beaches so it was perfect for us. The beach might not be the best for small kids as it is rocky underneath the water.

Apart from the room we were very satisfied with everything, service, breakfast, beach and location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Niko_Tampere
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Before booking this hotel I read some horrible reviews about this hotel and was a little wary- the hotel looked great on the website with lots of facilities and stunning views, but the reviews told of terrible service and awful stays. And I'm so glad I wasn't put off by those reviews!

We stayed from the end of june into mid august for two weeks in a standard, mountain view room. We planned to do some travelling but also spend time just relaxing, and this hotel was perfect for it. After our stay I felt I needed to do a proper review of this place to let others potential guests have the story from both sides:

Room- A mountain view room near the front was our first room, but we moved a couple of days in due to the noise, and my partner being a very light sleeper. The noise isn't a huge problem, and to be fair it is completely out of the hotels hands- ask for a room further back in the hotel complex and take ear plugs if you think it'll bother you. Apart from that the rooms are very nice; lots of wardrobe space, a separate bath and huge walk in shower, balconies with room to sit out on, big comfy bed, a safe and air con of course. They aren't hugely spacious, but we didn't really need it as it was just us two and we spent more time out of it than in.

Pool Areas/Spa/Gym- We didn't use the spa at all but it has a huge range of treatments and maybe if we'd had more time/bad weather we would have tried it. One day we also got offered a 20% off as well which we would have loved to have used but we couldn't drag ourselves away from the sun! The main pool that overlooks the sea and old town was amazing- we never struggled to get a sun lounger and it was so relaxing to sit somewhere with such great views! The upper pool was quite small but the views from it were lovely, although we didn't get round to using it. There was an inside pool with a jacuzzi and a turkish steam room as well, which was nice to swim in in the morning, or relax when the weather wasn't as nice. A couple of mornings we used the gym and it was always quiet which was a bonus! It was really modern with lots of cardio and weight machines, as well as free weights and cables. Overall all of these facilities were, or looked, excellent. Also, a note on the pool card- it didn't bother us at all...it allowed us to get more than one fresh towel a day and they weren't hard to keep a hold of.

Restaurants & Bars- We were half board so ate breakfast in the Bruno restaurant and had dinner in the restaurant near the top of the hotel. Breakfast was great- a selection of breads, pastries and hot food, as well as fruit- which is my only complaint, maybe slightly more fruit choice but apart from that it was really good. Dinner was good most nights- I am a slightly fussy eater and still managed to find lots to eat. There was breads, cold meats and cheeses, lots of salad etc. and always a selection of meats, veg and pasta. It isn't outstanding cuisine, but you get a good meal out of it. The bar overlooking the pool, sea and old town is lovely and we always had great service there. It was a nice way to end a quiet evening as it was never busy at all when we were there, and the views are lovely.

Beach- We only used the beach twice but it was lovely. Right beside the hotel and there is a lift that can take you down, and you do not have to pay! Towels are handed out exactly the same as the pool and the sunbeds are comfortably cushioned. There is a pontoon to take you out to the less rocky part of the sea as well if you want to swim. All in all its a nice, close and well serviced beach.

Situation- You couldn't have a better location for the old town- it is literally right outside. Great for going out at night and also for going out for lunch during the day if you're not all inclusive. The steps/set up of the hotel didn't bother us as we are quite young and adapt to steps. There are escalators that were all working when we were there, but I can understand why that would be an issue for some people. Otherwise, the location of the hotel is ideal.

Service- Overall the staff were helpful and polite and we had no problems with them. Sometimes at dinner the service could be a bit slow to order drinks when it was busy, and there was the occassional rude waiter but it didn't really bother us in the end- we got our drinks and enjoyed our dinner!

Excursions/Travelling- We took day trips to Kotor, Sveti Nikola, Sveti Stefan and Lake Skadar- the only one organised by Jet 2 (our holiday company) was the Lake Skadar trip as we thought we wouldn't be able to travel there ourselves. Buses were very easy to work out- there is one stop on the main street just before a round about with all the time tables and stops, and most are every ten minutes. Highly recommend a day at the beach on Sveti Nikola, its very beautiful- as well as climbing the fortifications in Kotor.

Overall we had a great stay in Budva and in the Avala, and I would recommend it to anyone who isn't bothered by slight imperfections. You pay for the location, views, stylish rooms, enjoyable meals and the beach and pool facilities, and an overall amazing holiday.

Room Tip: We booked a mountain view room- area near the old town is very loud at night, so we moved to nearer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Abbie S
Santa Monica, California, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel Avala in Budva, Montenegro was probably good concept but poorly executed. Set on rocky, steep hill above own beach this huge resort needs to do more to impress its guests. Villas, suites and rooms are scattered on this hill and if you are not in good physical conditions, if you can’t climb at least 50 steep steps, look for alternative accommodation. There are several escalators but at least one of them does not work. Besides, even using escalators cannot get you to every room or villa. You still need to negotiate several sets of stairs. Then there is this set of about 200 stone steps leading from the top of resort down to the main swimming pool. This would be a nice walk if the gate and access to the swimming pool is locked and it looks that it has been locked for quite some time. You have to climb back steep stone steps to get out. How un-thoughtful of management not to put a sign that these steps lead to nowhere - dead end. I might add that signage in this resort is also very poor. It took me about 15 minutes tumbling around before I found the swimming pool and then another 10 minutes to find the way to the beach.

Another bad taste in the mouth was left when we needed beach towels. No, they don’t have them at the pool where you would expect to have them. You have to go down 100 steps to the spa and claim your towels (one per person, period) and then another 100 steps up to the pool. Then you have to return them to the spa or you will be charged 30 Euros.

Interior of the hotel also missed its design target. I suppose the interior designer wanted to create zen-like atmosphere but something is missing and you have nothing but dark lobby, corridors and common areas giving depressing feeling. I feel when I am on vacation, I want cheerful environment, lots of light, sunshine, cheerful feeling.

Hotel rates include breakfast and a huge dining room looks more like students eatery than hotel restaurant. Obviously that hotel is targeting mass market and all services reflect that. There is no personal touch and small details are routinely overlooked but not corrected. To be fair to the hotel, there is a smaller restaurant and a nice, smaller pool half way up the hill which is much more pleasant, less crowded and more reflective of what developer had in mind constructing this massive resort.

SA
Santa Monica, California

Room Tip: Don't book rooms way up. The lower, the better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steve A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

After a lot of searching (we had a lot of boxes to tick) we eventually narrowed down the choice to Hvar in Croatia and Budva in Montenegro. In the end we decided to go with Budva bcs it is cheaper than Hvar (so we could make the budget stretch) and is also easier to fly into from the UK (direct flight to Tivat and then a quick 25min)

Budva itself is awesome and Avala was perfectly located - right next to the old town and with its own private beach (only drawback is that if all ur guests are not staying in the resort they will have to pay to use the private beach), and also very close to the main club (Trocadero) and all the open bars. I had booked a family villa for 4 of us (with the rest of the boys staying in two other hotels) but when we arrived the very helpful reception staff told me they were upgrading me to their Grand Suite!!! (a 3000 euro a night penthouse with the biggest living room I have ever been in, a massive terrace overlooking the entire bay and a 12 person table - thanks Avala we were exactly 12 guys in total and the living room felt empty until we brought back more ppl with us !!)

Aside from the partying and the awesome suite, the hotel had everything you would expect from a high end resort, excellent breakfast, free wifi in the lobby, awesome pool and a casino!

All in all I would def recommend the resort - not even for a stag (we were the only large group of guys, the rest was couples) ... And I guess the fact that we were the only visible stag for the three days made it that little bit special

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank PlaBal
AvalaResort, Front Office Manager at Avala Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear PlaBal,

Thank you very much for your nice comment!
We are trying our best to meet and, moreover, to overcome the expectations of our guests.
Your satisfaction is the best possible gratification for our effort.

We will be glad to host you on your next trip to Montenegro

Dusan Becir, fom
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel hesitantly given the poor reviews below, but as we intended to stay only 3nights we decided it's location and pools would be worth it, unfortunately after 2nights we changed to the Astoria.

Arrival and checkin seemed efficient and a staff member on hand to carry our luggage to our Villa (thankfully as there were a few stairs to our villa).

Our villa (204) was two stories, the entry level had a toilet, living area and verandah with an amazing view over the old town. The lower level was the bedroom, bathroom and verandah (no view).

The resort interior is dark as others mention, but it is an intentional design. The resort is very spread out but great location with barely a 3min walk to the old town gate.

The wifi is only available in common areas, which is annoying but I have found the same in other hotels of the same standard.

The pools were great (all working perfectly for the 2nights we stayed).

Now for the negatives:
Villa - our Villa seemed fine on checkin and it really wasn't until late in the evening when we went to have a shower that we noticed the horrible mould in the shower, highlighting the lack of cleanliness and maintenance. Once we saw this the other faults became more pronounced, peeling paint, missing tiles, light bulbs needing replacement, stains on lounges etc.

Towel Cards: the hotel really needs to look into it's process regarding pool/beach towels. Cards need to be collected from reception and then exchanged for towels at the beach or pool... It would have been nice if this procedure was explained in advance rather than waiting for us to get to the beach then sending us back for the cards.

Service: Overall the service is really quite dull. Given the rating (and even more so given the price) we expected a lot more..

The hotel misses the mark on a few basic points:
- Charge for Cappuccino with breakfast
- Hotel policy of not bringing food and drinks on site: in theory I understand not bringing in food, but I was even told I could not take a bottle of water with me to sit at the pool!?!?

We also had a small issue at checkout whereby our Expedia reservation (which said taxes included) did not indeed include the taxes, after complaining they were removed (only 5Euros.. But really more the point).

Overall my opinion on this resort is that it is overpriced. I would have been happy with the hotel had I been paying a more reasonable rate to overlook the many faults/weaknesses.

That said, the pools were good the gym and breakfast were also quite good. So if you are prepared to overlook the faults, lower your expectations and be prepared for the price... You may just have a nice stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
AvalaResort, Front Office Manager at Avala Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear AliSydney,

Thank you very much for your stay with us!

We appreciate very much your positive comments regarding our staff efficiency.
Although we are very sorry if there were anything that made your stay less pleasant, your critical objections regarding it will be very useful for us in planing the possible adjustments of some procedures with our guests needs and expectations.

Regarding your objection that " Expedia reservation (which said taxes included) did not indeed include the taxes" I have to remind you on the next clearly visible note on the Avala Resort & Villas Expedia reservation page :
"Fees:
Unless otherwise indicated, the charges below are not included in the overall room price. If not included in the overall room price, they will be charged by the property at check-in or check-out. Charges can vary, for example, based on length of stay or the room you book. This property told us they will charge you for the following:
A tax is imposed by the city: EUR 1.30 per person, per night for adults; EUR 0.5 per night for guests up to 12 years old. "

And the rest of your comment: " after complaining they were removed (only 5Euros.. But really more the point)." - As you can see, the point here is that we always respect the privilege, reserved for our guests, to be right even when they are not indeed.

No matter of these small misunderstandings we believe that you enjoyed with us and we truly hope to see you on your next trip.

Avala Resort & Villas team

Travellers are raving about these Budva hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Budva
Hotel Budva
Hotel Villa Bojana
Hotel Villa Bojana
#2 of 24 in Budva
Hotel Splendid Conference & Spa Resort

Been to Avala Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!