“Come here if you don't except too much”

Hotel Slovenska Plaza
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Budva
Reviewed 9 August 2014

It was our first visit to Montenegro. We stayed at this place from July 12 till July 21.

Just so everyone understands first of all - it's not a hotel in your regular vision of the hotel! It is big villa complex, beautiful territory with flowers and greens, so you still live on the villa but it's operated by the hotel.

Overall our villa (we stayed in Villa Kana A) obviously recently undergone some cosmetic renovation and was pretty and clean both from inside and outside. We didn't have the balcony but most of the balconies were not what you expect from it so not having it was totally fine. Infrastructure around us was really very good, you don't have to leave the hotel area to find all kinds of shops, and what amazed the most - some of them have even lower prices than the ones outside the hotel. So if you're looking for a cheaper bottle of wine no need to go too far) It takes about 5 minutes to reach the beach but the fact is the beach near by is always super packed and the water didn't seem too clean. So we walked about 20 mins to the beach in Old town and that was totally worth it as the water there was crystal clear and clean and the beach was a lot better than Slovenska plaza.
Ok, a few little negative things:

1) Internet connection is a disaster all over Budva, but even if it doesn't work almost everywhere at least it's free. But in this hotel they will sell it to you for 10 euros for 7 days and, guess what! Bingo! You can't use internet from your room! First I had to lean out of the window, then go outside the room to send and receive simple text messages and - oh my god - if you could send one photo it was a whole special occasion!!! In order to have more or less ok connection you have to go all the way to the lobby. Still, doesn't guarantee you anything) It was really very important for me to stay connected so it was super annoying. So my advice: if you really must stay connected at all times - do not go to Budva. Seriously.
2) Audibility in the room is perfect! :) If our neighbors and us spoke the same language we could easily talk to each other laying on the beds in different rooms without raising the voice. And it's ok when neighbors just don't know we can hear them perfectly when they wake up at 5 am and start living their life. Other thing is when maids actually come to clean their room at about 7 am and begin discussing their lives with each other shouting from one floor to another. Well outside that sleeping was absolutely fine, no disturbing noises (while the neighbors and maids are asleep))).
3) Maids. I read a lot of this horrible reviews how maids break into your room at 7 am even if the door is closed. Nothing like that ever happened here. First few days we had this super nice young girl to clean our room. She only works there during her summer break in the university. Our room was shining each time, perfect beds, clean bathroom. Then something changed and a regular maid took over... When you enter the room and there's not a hint on anything being cleaned at all, the blankets on the beds laying all messed up (that's not how we left them, that's how maid thought it should look like). All that changed - new towels in the bathroom. Nothing else. Too bad.
4) Breakfast. Is. Awful. Don't ever buy a trip to this hotel with any meal included. Only one fruit (usually orange, once it was apple), and the rest of it - all kinds of meals made out of bread))) There are so many nice restaurants all over Budva. Don't save on it. Try everything. Except for the food in Slovenska Plaza.

That's pretty much it. Nothing was so bad to spoil the whole experience. Budva is a beautiful place with a lot of places to visit for all kinds of categories of people. So if you don't expect much from the place you keep your clothes at, take shower and sleep - Slovenska plaza is a great spot for you! And forget that it's called a "hotel"! It is just a villa with a still better service than the rest of the villas in the town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anya V
Vladimir G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Slovenska Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for taking your time and review your vacation in Slovenska plaža.
We are grateful for all useful comments that you mentioned in it.
Sorry because inconvenience with bad internet connections. Related to our regular practice we have already pointed out this problem to staff that is in charge for it.
We are perfectly aware that sometimes cleaning jobs make some noise. And, also, maids need to finish their job on time in all units (and Slovenska plaža consists of 1016 rooms and apartments), and that is the reason why they start to work early in the morning.
Food problem is also pointed out to competent staff to consider your reviews.
Hope see you next year again!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel this July and found the experience rather awful.

The room was dark, dirty and dismal as well as quite damp. The shower leaked to the floor as there is no shower curtain making it slippery. The wi-fi connection came and went.

There are nicer beaches towards the town so I would not recommend that visitors stay beside the resort if that's their plan.

All in all there may be benefits for family's as they appeared to be plenty of family activities but for couples and back packers this is a definite no-no

Budva itself is a great place to visit but there are definitely Better options available.

We moved hotels and ended up having a great week.

• Stayed: July 2014
18  Thank Rathbawnfox
Vladimir G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Slovenska Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the cleanliness issue and spoken with the employee in question. Also I have talked to our system administrators about WiFi issue. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed. If you come back to our hotel I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Went to Slovenska plaza, two room apartment, week 28, 2014.

I´m very disapponited. At arrival we were told that we had only breakfast, but we booked halfboard. No problems, they changed it in the computer. When we went for dinner they said, "you have to pay for dinner. you have only breakfast". After 15 min they solved it, this happened two times during the week. Back in the room we didn´t notice how dirty it was. There were some dust in the corners but not so annoying, The third day our children found a pair of mens underwear under their bed, I just throw them away The day after they found another pair! After this I moved all the furniture and found candy bags, pringles and a huge amount of dust. I went to the reseption and complained. The manager was nice and told me that they would fix it. When we came back from the beach they had tried to clean the room, but still dirty. I had to show the cleaning lady how to clean a room! There´s over 1250 rooms and as the manager said "we got problems with the staff, they work for two month and then go home". But as I see it, that a manager problem...
They gave us a compensation by upgrading us to all inclusive. So what about that?
The food in the restaurant was terrible. boiled meat every day and no variation. We had to go out for dining. We booked an apartment, but the kitchen is useless. The refrigerator is a mini bar and there's no equipment at all for cooking, but we were not there to cook.
The resort is divided in three stars and four stars. That means that you don´t have access to all pools at the resort, quite strange. The staff in the resort dont´t speak English. I could write much more strange about the place, but there no meaning.

Conclusion, I can´t recomend Slovenska Plaza to anyone!

Room Tip: Rooms far away from the noisy pool area,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Totte6
Vladimir G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Slovenska Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We are sincerely sorry because of bad impressions that you have about our hotel. Also, we are perfectly aware that there can't be any excuse in this situation, but we kindly ask you to consider that "Slovenska plaža" is a big resort and at the moment we have about 2,500 tourists. This big problem was because of the tourist switch, and there was a confusion about available and non available rooms.

We also informed competent staff about the issue in food quality.

Our main goal is to have satisfied guests that will have good feelings while visiting our destination and staying in our hotel!

We can't influence anyone's impressions but we can send our regrets and hope that next time we will have a chance to change those impressions and become better hosts.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

A well set out holiday village, backing onto the seafront. You do not need to leave the village as everything you need for a nice holiday is there. Convenience shops, souvenirs, swimming pools, bars & very pretty gardens. Several restaurants all-included & other - recipes are local, plentiful (thankfully NO CHIPS) quite a lot of people moaned but we were happy with the choice & packed lunches given if you do go out. A central bar offers light entertainment around 9pm we saw some brilliant traditional dancers. Our part of the village was a fair walk from reception, however internal buggies would readily give you a lift if requested. Definitely wear sensible footwear, there are paving slabs missing or raised up. Our room was lovely with a view over a secluded garden. Maids are a bit of a pain, they do a good job but will come in even if you've put the sign up. The best way to stop them is close the door, lock it from inside then leave the key in the lock - the maids still bang on the door but they can't get in (Ha Ha!!!) Finally if you do leave the village for the beach or a walk it's a bit like Blackpool - a bit tacky The ambience improves when you get to the Harbour & Old Town. You get charged for the toilet when you are out - so go before you leave.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same - probably the location might be the problem as the village is quite l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosalind J

Thank you for those remarks. We appreciate it.
Sorry if maids were disturbing you while relaxing, but they do their best to keep all units clean, as much as it is possible.

Hope see you next year again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The quality of services does not match the price we paid.
The staff speaks very poor English, or no English at all. I didn't want the room to be on the ground floor and when I asked, they told me it is on the first floor. So when I went to my room, I discovered that first floor actually meant ground floor.
Receptionists don't have any idea of customer services.
We had to pay 4 euros/day for parking, even as guests at the hotel.
The quality of the food is low. The food was never enough, and they never brought the same food again. For example, some people would get cream filled cake, others would get cookies. Some would get oranges, others would get apples. Fruits were not varied (usually apples and bananas). Salads also not varied, no dressing at all, we would rarely find mixed salad.. usually there was a bowl of cabbage, another bowl of lettuce...Once in 8 days, we could find onions, and only once we saw tomatoes, but by the time we got our plates, they were over. There was coffee, tea, cappuccino and juice in the morning (apple or orange juice), but in the evening just water was available. Breakfast was also quite poor, the same kind of food every day, eggs, salami, cheese, sausages, milk, yoghurt, cereals, some pastries which were cold and didn't seem fresh. Also, they never let us use the whole restaurant area, even when it was raining, and there were never enough tables to sit inside, plus, the waiters were not so quick to clean the tables, so we would spend at least 5-6 minutes to find a table or sometimes we would sit at a table and wait even 10-15 minutes for a waiter to remove the plates used by previous guests.
Poor Wi-Fi connection, and although it says on their website that it is free in the public spaces, it really isn't. Even in the reception area or in the restaurant, it didn't work for free. I had to pay 10 euros / 7 days, and they didn't tell me that the code works for one device only, so as I tried it on my iPad, I could no longer use it with my laptop as well, unless I paid another 10 euros for another password. In addition, I didn't even have good connection in my room, I caught some signal near the door, a little bit better if I actually opened the door. However, it was very slow, I was unable to open various web pages, and it took me 4 hours to send an urgent email that had an attached document. This was extremely annoying, considering that I also paid for it.
The fridge in the room was extremely noisy, it sounded like a plane preparing to take off.

The room was clean, but not very large. There was no curtain at the shower, so the floor was all wet after showering.
The hotel actually consists of several buildings, which makes it look like a small town (with streets and alleys). There were green spaces among them, with trees and flowers, which was nice.
There are many shops and boutiques selling shoes, clothes, souvenirs, and even food and drinks, there are restaurants and bars.

All in all, even though the surrounding area is nice, with clean air and not much noise, considering the quality of the services provided, the food and the prices, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Laura_M_B23
Vladimir G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Slovenska Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Even though this report is not praiseworthy comment, thank you for taking time to review your stay in our hotel.
Related to "floor problem"- it was obviously big misunderstanding. Because in your language first floor actually means ground floor (and it is opposite in our language).
About parking problem, please note that it is charged by Parking service company.
This company is in charge for all parkings in Budva.
Food and internet remarks are already addressed to competent staff.
And, as we said a lot of times through those comments, Slovenska plaža is big resort with about over 2000 guests at the moment, and that's the reason why sometimes it is pretty crowded at the restaurant.
But, anyway, thanks for those notes.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is actually a large resort with three and four star sections. We were staying in the newly renovated four star rooms, which were comfortable in spite of being very small and, initially, extremely cold. However, as the weather improved the delighful terrace, with its vine, came into use.

The salt water pools are busy, but attractive and ideal for families with children of all ages. The grounds are beautifully kept and there is a lively young animations team, as well as a good guitarist and superb folk dancers weekly.

Unfortunately, the Four Star restaurant really lets the place down. Vegetables appeared to be frozen and the lovely Mediterranean veg was served as a greasy mush. I had a 'vegetable moussaka ' consisting of potatoes with a smidgen of a green bean. Meat and fish was not much better and desserts were the ubiquitous mousse cakes, with some fruit.
I ate so many salads that I had ulcers from the vinegary dressings.

We were there with a Saga group, definitely the wrong choice for us, a lively, quite fit group. It would be good if we had been there with our grand kids and could have used different restaurants. Very poor for four star.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank noredpen
Vladimir G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Slovenska Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

We are perfectly aware that any our comment can't change guest's impression.
But we reasurre all our future guests that food shortcomings will be considered and we have already addressed those remarks to hotel manager and restaurant staff.
We will do our best and give all efforts to upgrade food quality.
And, as we mentioned a few time through these reviews, our main goal is to have satisfied guests.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

A beautiful hotel. Location is very good and the rooms are clean and large. The service is satisfactory. Many parks and nature of the hotel. The beach can be a little better.We will come again, but next time I will come with my family because it is ideal area for children.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank 772Goran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Budva
Hotel Budva
Hotel Montenegro Beach Resort
Astoria Boutique Hotel
Astoria Boutique Hotel
#11 of 25 in Budva

Been to Hotel Slovenska Plaza? Share your experiences!